• Similar Content

• By Ferox
      After a night visit with four non members I had a couple of hours around here in the morning on my own. I was buzzing about seeing this place the previous evening but, seeing the old girl in the daylight was another thing again, absolutely amazing. Had a relaxed (surprisingly) mooch marvelling over the decay and features in here until I started hearing noises about two hours in. I got to the area with the Welcome to Severalls muriel with the intent of making my way to the section where the tunnels meet when I seen a white car parked up with someone sat in the driving seat with the door open. Could not be arsed with any hassle on my own so I quietly retraced my steps out of that area and got out of the site. A fantastic place this one and I can definitely see a re visit or two on the cards.
      History
      Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 to the design of architect Frank Whitmore. It opened in May 1913.
      The 300-acre (120 ha) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical of the Edwardian period. The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997
      1/2

3/4

9/10

14/15

16/17

18/19

20/21

Thanks For Looking
    • By Funlester
      I have been wanting to go here for years and finally got round to going earlier this month on a 2 day tour.
      It was awesome to go and so hard to explain what its like there.
      The Chernobyl disaster was a catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine, which was under the direct jurisdiction of the central authorities of the Soviet Union, Id put more but you all must know about it.
      Here are a few of the photos I took

• By mookster

Dawn broke on my first full day in Chicago and the weather was absolutely biblical. Rain lashing down across most of the city in a torrent. Not good for exploring, or doing anything in really. A couple of my exploring friends had travelled across from Buffalo in upstate New York to meet me for the first weekend, and there is a running joke between me and them that whenever I meet up with them, the weather is absolutely awful. That day did nothing to dispel the joke, so we settled in for some breakfast near our first rooftop target. Luckily the weather cleared up, and the sun came out, so we cracked on.
      The first rooftop is a 38-storey mixed use tower, very much occupied and in use which creates the challenge of making your way past the security/receptionist stations without looking too suspect, carrying bags and tripods LOL.
      I don't normally do rooftops or high things, you can normally find me poking around factories and stuff so this was a pretty new experience for me. But an enjoyable one no less.

Beneath the glass dome was the building's swimming pool, with one or two people in it at the time
      At the end of the day after our various misadventures elsewhere, we decided to take in the sunset on another rooftop. A much taller one this time, standing at 60 storeys tall. The view was incredible.

After that, we went to get some well deserved food and made preparations for the next day
      Thanks for looking.

• By Shortstaa
      well i thought id go and see what all the fuss was about and set off early in the morning to find the beast that is cwm coke. im still blown away by the size of the place if im honest. there cant be that many places around quit like it. to date i would say it was the best 6 hours of urban exploring i have had.
      anyway, i wont say anything about the history as im pretty sure everyone knows it and to be honest i dont know a lot about the place other than its amazing..
      hope you enjoy the photos

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!