Sign in to follow this  
northern ninja

Raf Daws hill bunker - October 2012

Visited with TBM and Cookie monster, This has been in my pipeline for a while so glad that i finally got around to going here and been in the 1st Group to crack it.

Warning to anyone else going there is security on the main site as we bumped into his dog but luckily not him however the dog was friendly and didnt bark. There is lots to see with a gym, Bank, Accommodation blocks and many more, However this Report is just on the bunker.

The Bunker is at RAF Daws Hill which is now decommissioned but used as Armed Response Training Center so is littered with lots of Blanks. It was a very interesting explore with seeing the camp and the main point of us going the Nuclear Bunker. Now to the interesting bit.

Its nuclear bunker, with 23,000 square feet (2,100 square meters) of space, housed high-tech equipment for the direction of nuclear bombers and guided missiles. I believe it was built in the 1940's. If you want more information about the place Google Raf Daws Hill.

There Was to many good pictures to choose from as its a big site but here are a few

0kbDd.jpg

Nice long Stairs

SDdh8.jpg

OtezH.jpg

GtXQ6.jpg

pSRp8.jpg

LTyJk.jpg

hyg3T.jpg

8lQVf.jpg

VH4Xr.jpg

Thanks For Looking

yer was a good site shame its fully sealed, went back last week and is fully sealed and no way in. Shame it got leaked into public so quick.

Yeah Weird how that happened :roll:

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Maniac
      The bunker along Road Of Remembrance in Folkestone is believed to have been a WW2 naval communication facility. It originally had two entrances several rooms and toilets, with a ventilation room above the complex.
      You can still see the remains of several WW2 posters on the walls of this place.
      There may be plans to renovate this bunker and open it to the public as part of the plans for marking the centenary of the outbreak of hostilities in WW1 which takes place in 2014.
      More information here
      http://www.grand-uk.com/Step%20Short.html
      There's also a rather nice map of the place here.
      http://www.grand-uk.com/Step%20Short%20Files/Step%20Short%20Bunker%20map.pdf
      Looking back towards the main entrance

Looking back towards the second entrance

Few nice features left.

Remains of posters

It's definitely one of the best condition WWII bunkers I've been in.
      Thanks for looking!
      Maniac.
    • By RossWAdventures

This Avro Shackleton is one of three aircrafts situated at Long Marston. After the small aviation museum had sadly closed its doors, the Shackleton MR3, serial number WR985, was among a group of larger airframes that were not relocated, and is still sat at the old World War 2 airfield today. With plans to tear up the old runways (one of which had been latterly used as a dragstrip) and build thousands of new homes on the site, the future prospects of the decommissioned Shackleton seem bleak. WR985 first flew in 1958 and was later relegated to ground training duties under the maintenance serial 8103M. It was disposed of in 1988 and moved to Long Marston airfield.

Also there's the Percival Sea Prince T.1 ex WM735 (ex G-RACA) ex Staverton, on display at the airfield entrance.

And finally a Gloster Meteor T.7 WL332 ex Cradiff.

More Pictures from the explore...

Come along on the explore and check out the video i made.

If you enjoyed Videos like this be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/rosswallaceadventures

• By hamtagger
      RAF Church Fenton

The Explore

'Twas a nice easy mooch from about a year ago with @Urbexbandoned. Because I'm so far behind in posting reports I always have to go back and read Tracey's report to jog my memory so I can write some shite here as an intro. I can remember it was a boiling hot day and the pollen levels were reading at about 4 billion parts per square metre. After hacking through a shitload of undergrowth for a good half an hour we eventually found something which resembled an RAF base. I was only a few more sneezes away from death. The jungle made it difficult to navigate around and I remember thinking at the time to make sure I returned during the winter so we could actually see where we were going, but I haven't returned since. I bunged my photo's onto my hard drive back then and only just had a look again recently, and to be honest I was pretty disappointed as they're all a bit samey. Derpy barrack blocks and a JR's mess, blah blah peely blah.. the Upwood of the future.. 

The History

First opened in 1937, RAF Church Fenton is the former home of the first American Eagle Squadrons and was formally regarded as one of the UK's most important strategic airfields, offering rapid reaction fighter defence to the industrial cities of Sheffield, Bradford and Leeds during the second World War. Now, after decades of faithful service in defence of the realm, the air station stands as a lonely hostage to both time and decay.
      On 1 April 1937 the station was declared open and on 19 April the first station commander Wing Commander W.E. Swann assumed command. Within two months, No. 71 Squadron RAF had arrived with their Gloster Gladiators. During September 1940 Church Fenton became home to the first "Eagle squadron" of American volunteers - No. 71 Squadron RAF and their Brewster Buffalos and Hawker Hurricanes. The airfield was also home to both the first all-Canadian and all-Polish squadrons, No. 242 Squadron RAF and No. 306 Squadron RAF respectively.
      As air warfare became a more tactical and technological pursuit, the first night-fighter Operational Training Unit was formed at Church Fenton in 1940 and some of the squadrons stationed there began to fly the famous de Havilland Mosquito. After the close of the war, the station retained its role as a fighter base, being among the first to receive modern jet aircraft, namely the Gloster Meteor and the Hawker Hunter. In later years, Church Fenton became the RAF's main Elementary Flying Training airfield.
      On 25 March 2013 it was announced that Church Fenton would close by the end of 2013 and By 19 December, all units had been relocated and the airfield was closed. Some equipment was be relocated to RAF Topcliffe and MoD security continued to secure the site until disposal. A NOTAM was issued suspending the air traffic zone at the end of 2013.

The Pictures

3/4.

6/7.

9/10.

As always thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated  
    • By LeeLewis82
      This was the first time at RAF Upwood Medical Facilty and it proved a good explore although heavilty trashed.

While we had to crawl under a broken piece of plyboard it didnt disapoint with stuff and debris everywhere, plus nearly every piece of glass was broken.

As well as it being pitch black and the only source of light was our phone torches it proved fun, we saw a lot of spent needles, gloves, dental aperatus and more.

Dental lights and aperatus trashed or broken.

Whilst walking around with nothing other than phone torches for light, the smell of recent fire damage from vandals whoever else, we heard foot steps, i told the girls to stay in she shadows and not move until i return, i wandered slowly until the noises got louder and hid behind a door until 2 people ermerged in which i shined my torch, they crapped it and asked if i was police or security or if i was going to harm them, i said no im a explorer and called the girls.... the look on thier face was PRICELESS.
      Various forms of aperatus has been left behind as well as back up generators and switch boards.

The sad reality is these amongst a few other pic taken by others are the VERY last we will see of this lovely place as the diggers have moved in,,, but why??? it was in decent serviceable condition until vandals trashed it! The only facilty now is RAF Alconbury which some of the aperatus has been moved to, whilst it sits more or less disused there.
      Sadly it now seems there will be room for 300 houses on the Raf Upwood site, and who knows who will occupy them, RAF Upwood was a great explore but sadly the level of decay is too much now.
      I will personally miss the place.

I hope you all enjoy this report and many other to come
      Lee
    • By LeeLewis82
      For the first time we actually gained access to RAF Raynham, NON permissive.
      Its a cracking explore and one i will return to at some point as my mum took ill so we had to leave early sadly, anyway it was a warm sunday mid afternoon and we met up with harry and julian, access was fairly easy with various buildings to see.

The first building we seen was the airmans restaurant, a lovely sized building with cracking entrance and stunning staircase very much like RAF Upwood.

With very minimal decay and damage these buildings have been well preserved, even most windows are intact.

A very grand front entrance to the airmans restaurant.

Part of the Upper level, there is a lift here for food.

The accommodation blocks were failt good with ablutions of a high ranking nature and lovely staircases.

Lovely sinks and loos for what looks like high rank serviceman/women

Staircase within the accommodation.

One of the connecting corridors.

The base Headquarters.

The corridor.

One of the rooms.

The server room and telephone exchange within the hq

Top of the HQ

Views from the top.

HQ views - MOD police and sunset at raynham

New report and more detailled pics to follow at a later date.
      Thanks for reading.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!