Sign in to follow this  
Wevsky

UK The Cave of Vortigern Margate, Kent 11/12-02/13

Visited with Obscurity Stealth SpaceInvader UrbanGinger and Fortknox0 and on two different visits

Nice to get back in here with a dslr as last time was early days and a camera fone,its not huge but was worth going back for a better look

The origins of these caves, which are not natural but built by man, is shrouded in mystery. The caves may take their name from Vortigern, who supposedly gave the area around Margate to the Saxons as a reward for helping him fight the Picts and Scots. Rediscovered by accident in 1798, the caves are considered by some to be of Saxon origin, consisting of a series of natural passages, which have been artificially enlarged. However, few experts think these 'artificial cavities' (as they are called) go back that far. The first time they appear in history is fairly recent. The guide book would have the visitor believe that the caves are over a 1000 years old and possible even of Phoenician origin! The more likely explanation would perhaps be a more modest medieval origin, or even a Georgian folly. Locally they put the Shell Grotto down as a Victorian folly built at a time when the local shell fish industry would have produced enough shells for them to be freely available (being a by-product).

Somewhere near the close of the 18th Century, a man of eccentric habits, named Francis Forster, built a large house in Margate which he named after the county of his birth - Northumberland House. In or about the year 1798 his gardener, digging behind the house, made the discovery of the Caves. A private entrance was cut. It was during this time that the cave murals were created. In 1914, a new entrance was made from the cellar of the vicarage and this is the entrance used today.

On with some pics

Quick map

margatecaves.jpg

DSC_00301.jpg

DSC_0029_8.jpg

DSC_0023_10.jpgDSC_00181.jpg

DSC_0028_6.jpg

DSC_0020_6.jpg

DSC_0017_7.jpgDSC_0004_11.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

DSC_0011_10.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpgDSC_0009_8.jpg

DSC_0008_12.jpg

DSC_0014_4.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg

Not a huge place but was nice to revisit after it being not possible for such a while

Proper nice that, reminds me of some of the sandstone caves in that fair town of Nottingham.

Them sandstone ones look proper nice..i think i have a survey on me maps with lots of stuff up there..must actualy look at it properly

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By The Urban Collective
      Smudges 1st ever photographic report - may 2018

Smudges has been known by numerous other names over the years from The Crofters Arms Hotel to McGees to Moghuls Palace but has always retained it's charm and character.
      A true time capsule rotting away in the heart of Bolton. Featuring some stunning hand-carved bars and one of two of this type of revolving doors that exist the other located in a grand hotel in London.

The Urban Collective
      We Film It...

Thank you for checking out my pics guys!

Clarky

The Urban Collective
      We Film It...

• By The Urban Collective
      Smudges A.K.A The Crofters Arms Hotel and McGees first ever video report May 2018

The Urban Collective
      We Film It...

• By Doug
      Just an update to you ObStarorz that over the last year I have converted a heap of Cave Clan radio interviews as well as the 2017 ABC Cave Clan documentary. The radio interviews might be a bit slow unless you have a connection to The Cave Clan or you're interested in Australian urbex history, but they can give you something to listen to as you fall asleep at night
      I've added random footage to the radio interviews.

The ABC documentary is probably the best thing we've done.

There's also a few Urbex clips that are not Cave Clan related that people seem to find interesting.

I’ve also made a combined version of the ABC docco that has the credits cut out (other the first & end credits of the series) so it’s a bit easier to watch if you have a spare half an hour.

Have a look at the YouTube page here > The CaveClanMedia

I'm not trying to encourage people in the scene to engage with the media. Most of our stuff was done when there was no urbex or internet and we were trying to build the scene. The ABC documentaries (5 x 7 min episodes) reveal a different side to the Cave Clan and don't reveal anything in regards to actual exploring.

If only one of you take a look then my job here is done
    • By SouthCoastUrbex
      Hi all, we are back already with another video! This time we had been tipped off of an abandoned Chinese resturant in Southampton and what an explore it was! It turns out that everything had been left behind although the place being slightly trashed.

I couldn't find to much in regards to history of this place but I don't think it's too extensive but after looking at the reviews it seems pretty obvious why this place was closed down as it was stated as having terrible customer service and wasn't very hygenic.

Hope you like the video, like always open to feedback. I am looking at getting new equipment to help with low light so please bear with me!