klempner69

Auschwitz,Poland (visited 2007) 2013

Not really an explore but for me,probably thee worst example of what man actually did to fellow man.How some people can deny what happened here is beyond me.I first visited a concentration camp in 1980 called Belsen..I have never forgotten the pictures of the unfortunates photographed after it`s liberation.

Where do I begin?

Main Gate I guess.....

CSC_0148-M.jpg

CSC_0140-M.jpg

CSC_0141-M.jpg

CSC_0161-M.jpg

CSC_0162-M.jpg

CSC_0163-M.jpg

The Camp Commander was hanged here in full view of his house over in the trees

CSC_0166-M.jpg

CSC_0172-M.jpg

CSC_0177-M.jpg

We strayed away from the tourist trail..tell me this isnt what it looks like?I asked about it,and was told it was a fire pit...with diving platforms?

CSC_0184-M.jpg

Dreadful place of execution

CSC_0194-M.jpg

CSC_0193-M.jpg

We are now a few miles down the road at Birkenau...had enough already

CSC_0204-M.jpg

Demolished Cremators

CSC_0206-M.jpg

Bunks

CSC_0216-M.jpg

Not much remains of the barrack blocks..the Germans did a good job of covering their tracks as the Red Army advanced

CSC_0222-M.jpg

CSC_0225-M.jpg

Everyone knows this view

CSC_0230-M.jpg

CSC_0233-M.jpg

Can you imagine using toilets like these?

CSC_0237-M.jpg

That was and is one hell of a monument indeed,a World Heritage Site and rightly so.

Thankyou for posting this report....very well versed and outstanding photos also...such an austere place..makes me shiver reading it,,yet facinates me also..just how? and why? could another human do this to another are my questions...both unanswerable to any normal personj...thanks again..very sobering agreed :sad2:

Really great shots of a location with such a tragic past and more so in the snow :|

Nothing i can say other than walking around here with the thoughts of what was leaves little to words .

Quality Klemps all about documenting the past regardless of how dark it can be some times :beer:

Great shots :thumb

Sends shivers down my spin look at these, but if we don't document it people will never be educated, i agree the snow does make it some how more saddening. thank for the photos.

Lest we never forget the people that suffered and died for our freedom, it's a very emotional and thought provoking site, one that I plan to visit one day in the future, I think it's important that its preserved for the future from a historical point of view and used to educate others about Hitler, his evil regime of mass geneside so that history can never be allowed to repeat itself again.

Klempner, thank you for posting this, your pics are amazing, bet it was one hell of a traumatic day, thank you for sharing your experience with us

:|

Great photographs, really capture the mood and makes you think what it must have been like to be imprisoned in that terrible place

You've caught the feel of these awful camps well, your pictures are beautiful yet a stark reminder of the dark side of humanity. I nearly went to Treblinka when I was in Warsaw last year but didn't get time. Thanks for sharing this :thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andy
      Unfortunately, I don't know any history.
      By the way, all photos were only taken from the outside, through the bars of the windows. Therefore, no access was possible - or if, only by a deep cellar window. But even that wasn't possible because of local residents. So I only took a few photos from the outside and then we drove on.

• By Andy

The chapel, with ten-part rose windows, was intended simply as a funerary chapel, not a place of worship, and intended to be non-denominational. The floor plan is in the shape of a cross and the main entrance was covered for access by horse-drawn funeral carriages. Winding wooden staircases in the twin turrets gave access to the public gallery above. The octagonal steeple stands at 120 feet (36,5 meters) and was the tallest in the district when it was built in 1840.
      The architect was William Hosking, better known as a civil engineer; this (and the main cemetery entrance) remain the only surviving examples of his architectural work. The chapel is also the oldest surviving non-denominational funerary chapel in Europe.

• By Andy

I didn't know if the property was still accessible. For this reason, I checked it the night before. The next day I visited the historic mansion in the early morning.
      I was very tired, but I was rewarded with some nice wall and ceiling paintings.

• By Andy

I found the ruins of that chapel, located at the edge of fields, while searching on Google Earth. Because unable time and to far away from the day-route, it wasn't possible to plan it into the daily program of the tour. So I've decided to visit it at night and to take the pics with long exposure or with lighting by torch.
      From the outside, the chapel was very unimpressive. Nothing really special, but inside a dome and pillars arches could be seen.

• By Andy

A large complex with several buildings. Partly the middle of demolition, so that workers prevented the exploration of the remaining area.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!