Stussy

Thinking of a new Tripod?

I've been exploring for around a year and already had a couple tripods sadly. I have found two that I really like and though I'd share them here.

For me I like two tripods, one a that can be slung around and take a bit of rough and tumble which can be take on easy explores where you don't need to be light and fast. They must be easy to adjust and have decent height as well.

Being Scottish and a tight arse, I searched around for the best I could find for the money and found these guys RedSnapper

I bought the old 284 model, its now been updated and its been solid ever since buying it, it is fairly heavy though and after a day or twos exploring can get a bit much!

RSF-284 model Is the upgraded version and looks even better. Be warned about the head combos however, I got a cheap one on offer and it was simply shit, but upgraded that to a beast of a head.

Redsnapper have a good after-sales dept, i lent on one of the legs and snapped a bit off, they sent a replacement part free of charge!

I now use the Manfrotto 322-RC2 it really is a beast, probably too big, bigger than I originally thought, but very easy to use and adjust. Does weigh a fair bit, maybe one of the smaller ones would be better!

Now onto my favourite little tripod, its small compact and brilliant to use. Meet the fairly unknown Horusbennu FX-7529TT

It folds down to under 30cm, its carbon fibre takes up to 12kg load and is stable, a touch light its feet when its fully loaded with a body, grip heavy lense, but still works a treat. It weighs basically nothing, 920g and also can be used as a monopod.

It says £165 on the article, but send the guys an offer, I got mine for £130, expensive but worth it.

There are quite a big selection of tripods from HorusBennu, loads to choose from so have a look around their eBay shop.

I am now after a smaller ball head that is cheapish and sturdy and will hold a camera without slipping please let me know, I need one shortly!

Horses for courses on this one

ive found not always the most expensive is the best or suited to what we do.

Some these days you could mount a heavy machine Gun on quite easily lol :thumb

Each to his own, carbon fibre are light but flimsy - a few of my crew here have accidentall driven their car over one or dropped it and its shattered.

I use the Manfrotto 190PRoXB and just added the 322RC2 ball head - the majority of the photos you've seen here have been with that tripod and the 804RC2 3 way but it was getting to be a pain adjusting it all the time.

It doesn't weigh a ton and does the job for me. Sorry not much of a recommendation but better the devil you know when it comes to tripods for me.

Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01... £50 from Argos. Bostin little tripod! Folds up real small, nice n tall when extended, not too heavy either. The pistol grip takes a bit of getting used to but once youve mastered it... CRACKIN' :)

Yes mine is a velbon too, I tend to get stuck in shrubbery, and I swing it at MrToby sometimes BUT it hasn't broken yet :D

tripods suck balls. If someone could come up with one that appeared and disappeared whenever needed I would pay loads for it...

I'm using the Manfrotto 055XPROB also with the 322RC2 head, the tripod weighs about as much as a small child but its as sturdy as fuck, and as for the 322 head, I would never go back to a pan and tilt head, balls all the way!!!

Guest Scattergun
Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01... £50 from Argos. Bostin little tripod! Folds up real small, nice n tall when extended, not too heavy either. The pistol grip takes a bit of getting used to but once youve mastered it... CRACKIN' :)

This deffo sounds like an interesting one PS. I'll may just have a wee look at that. I use a Jessops TP323. Good tripod for what I paid for it (bout £20 offa fleabay). It's hardy, sturdy and lightweight and will happily sit a medium range slr without any problems. Not much maneuverability though. As far as tripods go I think mrtoby has the right attitude :)

mine was fifty pounds from jessops its lite and easy to use..been battered to death the one leg is broke so held together with tape now..im renound for abusing my stuff whilst out so would be no good me having a expensive fancy one..i figure as long as it keeps the camera still and can be adjusted relitivly easily a 10 quid asda one does the job :)

Ive got the Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01as well..... really small and well made and also very solid when extended high.

Only thing Im not keen on is it sometimes tricky to find the level horizontal with the pistol grip, but I guess thats because Im not used to the balljoint setup having only used the generic £9.99 jobbies before :D

Ive got the Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01as well..... really small and well made and also very solid when extended high.

Only thing Im not keen on is it sometimes tricky to find the level horizontal with the pistol grip, but I guess thats because Im not used to the balljoint setup having only used the generic �9.99 jobbies before :D

To be honest ive had two of these..the original was sent back as the head grip seized..the replacement has been going a good 9 months but in portrait its started to slip and while on explore it jammed..got it moving again but im now opting for

got mine for �6 quid tho cant seem to find that one so heres this linky

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slik-Sprint-Pro-II-Tripod-with-3-Way-Pan-Tilt-Head-Quick-Release-/261208848759?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item3cd142b977