Guest Scattergun

Polphail Ghost Village [Visited Nov 2012] - April 2013

Guest Scattergun

Here's an arty farty vid I put together a few months ago of the abandoned village of Polphail on Scotlands west coast. Originally built in the mid 70's to house 500 oil workers for a nearby oil platform construction yard the village consisted of a series of 'flat pack' style accommodation units, bars, recreation rooms, canteen, bank, shops, laundry's and offices.

The yard was near completion in 1976 when the oil boom nosedived, by which time the village was already complete. The yard was scrapped having never received a single order and the unused village was never inhabited. It was abandoned completely in 1980 and finally demolished in 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESBGaTIeLY

Edited by Stussy

Wow SG that certainly had me glued! A very interesting tale and a superbly put together clip. I love your use of slow moving filming - the keys swinging in the breeze is beautiful. Fantastic, thanks :thumb :thumb

Oh and what is the music? I love it, it's similar to the score on 'Lost' :)

Guest Scattergun

Thank you star :) You're very welcome. I used to love visiting here. It was one of my early splores. Not much to it but always reminds me of when I was first starting out, which is kinda nice. This was one of my first vids and I've picked up a few handy filming tips along the way.

The soundtrack is actually from the video game Mass Effect 3. I do like the more epic soundtracks but in youtubes eyes at least, using game and film music doesn't appear to be such a heinous breach of copyright as using an actual artist :)

That was rather splendid, I could emo my wrists up to that no problems! Stunning moving images, panos and other complicated words that i can use properly!

Well done chap, great work! :Devil:

I really enjoyed this vid..I remember seeing pics from here many years back but this really captures the feel of it..cant have the sound on at the moment due Emmerdale being on!!!Wife will not like

Guest Scattergun
I really enjoyed this vid..I remember seeing pics from here many years back but this really captures the feel of it..cant have the sound on at the moment due Emmerdale being on!!!Wife will not like

Much appreciated everyone :) Very ghostly feel the place had, especially when you're alone. Not to worry klemps mate. Could be worse, could be Eastenders ;)

Guest Scattergun
Oh no, has this really gone now? Been meaning to pay it a visit for years.

I'm afraid so mate. The grounds were cleared back in November. Only take a few days to clear the site by my reckoning. Shame, always liked the place as my family live quite local.

Much appreciated shush :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gangeox
      Right people, it's back to school for you lot! luckily for the guy's it's a girls school!!
      The school was designed by J. M. Bottomley and G. T. Wellburn of Leeds and built in 1910. It was built in an Edwardian Baroque style, in an English cross bond utilising red brick and with white faience dressings.
      In 1971 the school amalgamated with Doncaster Grammar School and was renamed Hall Cross Comprehensive. The building here is the Waterdale location.

• By Gangeox
      Ok peep's moving away from the schools for a while, we had a mooch around this place and to say it was dirty would be an understatement
      An iron foundry in North Hykeham, with a production capacity of approximately 80,000 tonnes of castings annually, they manufactured high quality iron casting components in nodular and grey iron for the international automotive, tractor and construction machinery industries.
      It closed in 2007

• By Wevsky
      Right the journey for one of us started here
      http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=57055
      This thread caused quite a stir so in true thanet crew style we tagged onto this effort by Obscurity and teamed up for the plotting room..never has it been reported on and after all the fuss and agro from kent history forum and local landowners tbh i dont think any one thought it would be photographed..there was power left on in this plotting room and a pump/dehumidifier left runnng with power cables and lights left abandoned..So be rude not to poke our heads down this kept quiet and allegedly sealed/capped off bit of history..
      Not many pics frm here as to be honest its a plotting room ,just thought we would share

Nothing particularly ground breaking but something kurg may have started before hostilities that we felt we had to see through
    • By evo_mad
      That was an awesome explore, had some fun until the scum turned up.
      Here's some of mine, bear in mind it was getting dark whilst we were there so the pics are poor.

Bible found under the floor

Hood_mad going up the bell tower

Looking down

Up to the second floor

Me on the way up

Waterfall at the outdoor pool

Fire on the gym that was already burning when we got there (I think we disturbed someone)

A good, but very surreal experience.
    • By 8ReDRuM
      Construction began in 1911 but completion of the original design did not occur until the early 1930s. The institution was planned as a "farm colony," whereby patients were put to work raising animals and growing food. Superintendent Charles S. Little told the New York Times: "In order to make this plan a success, it is necessary to begin to train the feeble minded when they are children. The feeble minded, if taken at an early age can be trained to do things better than if the education of which they are capable is postponed until the less pliable years." The site was named for William Pryor Letchworth, who served on the New York State Board of Charities from 1873 to 1896. Letchworth Village was one of the largest and most progressive facilities for the mentally retarded in the United States. Situated on 2000 acres of farmland with the Towns of Haverstraw and Stony Point. It was designed as a self-supporting community comprised of 130 field stone buildings.
      The facility closed on March 31, 1996, but administrative offices remained open until 2002.