klempner69

Chernobyl trip May 2012

These are my short vids from in and around Pripyat..again,best viewed with the sound down really..I would never get a job with ITN as a cameraman :Poo

The Azure swimming pool.

Pool-M.jpg

Main Square in front of the Palace of Culture

Outside%20Palace%20of%20culture-M.jpg

Main Square incorporating Lenin Avenue

Outside%20Palace%20of%20culture2-M.jpg

The Bridge of Death near Pripyat where many residents flocked to view the Reactor after the explosion

Bridge%20of%20Death-M.jpg

Reactor4,viewed from the cooling canal road

Reactor4-M.jpg

Driving away from Reactor4 towards Reactor5

Reactor4%20drive-M.jpg

Middle school 3 or more popularly known for where all the gas masks are

Gas%20masks-M.jpg

The Avangard Stadium

Avangard%20stadium-M.jpg

Avangard Stadium2

Avangard%202-M.jpg

The Jupiter Plant,more well known for its use in the STALKER game..one of our party actually knew what to expect before he saw the place.

Jupiter%20plant-M.jpg

And finally,the Funfair..starts off shakily but it gets better..I had never used the camera before as I bought it for this trip

Funfair-M.jpg

Thats it folks..it gives anyone planning on going here a sneak preview of what to expect,

Edited by klempner69

Guest Scattergun

Still a killer place mate and has only ignited my curiosity further. Thumbs up! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TheBaronof Scotland
      Next set from this amazing place

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      Day 1 of a very memorable trip, wanted to do this for so long and as such the opportunity arose a few weeks back to make it happen.
      With it being very short notice, I went on my own and joined a public tour for 2 days, with 5 other folk, only 1 other person taking pictures !! time was limited in each location as we tried to cram in as many different locations as possible.
      As such I only had approx 45 mins in here............. first of a few reports to follow of each place i thought worthy of a report

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By franconiangirl
      April 26, 1986. One single day, that changed the day of numerous people overnight. One day, that entered the annals of world´s history. It was the day, when reactor no. 4 of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant was destroyed after a power failure simulation gone wrong. On that day in April 1986 the nightsky exploded. The Chernobyl disaster released as much radioactive material into the environment as 400 atomic bombs would have done. 

I think, a lot has already been written about that topic and the Chernobyl catastrophe. A topic that I´ve always been fascinated of for many different reasons. Years ago, I told myself, I would never ever visit the zone. Last year, I´ve changed my mind and visited Chernobyl in September. I´m glad, I did. 

Around the nuclear power plant:

[/url]

Kindergarten of the former village "Kopachi"

Kopachi was a former village near Chernobyl, today located within the Chernobyl exclusion zone. After the nuclear catastrophe in 1986, it was hit hard by nuclear fallout and had to be evacuated. All former houses were demolished and buried. Today, every mound of earth with a warning sign in it, marks the remains of one of the former houses. Only the kindergarten has survived time and does still exist. 

Pripyat

"[...] we lived in Pripyat, near the reactor. I can still see the bright- crimson glow, it was like the reactor was glowing. This 
      wasn´t an ordinary fire, it was some kind of emanation. It was pretty. [....] We didn´t know, that death could be so beautiful." 

(Nadezhda Vygovskaya (evacuee from Pripyat), excerpt from the book: Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich)

Middle School No. 3:

Palace of Culture "Energetik":

Amusement park:

Hospital No. 126

The hospital no. 126 consisted of 410 beds and was - among three further clinics - the biggest medical center of Pripyat. Until today the basement of the hospital is not only one of the most contaminated places of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, but of the world. Still, the pitch-dark cellar, holds the suits of the six firemen that were the first to work on the wrecked reactor and afterwards were instantly brought to the city hospital. Of course they received a lethal dosis of radiation. Consequently, they died shortly after their operation of radiation sickness. Still, 30 years after the catastrophe, they are so highly cotaminated that you would receive a lethal dosis in only short time. 

Café Pripyat near the same-named river:

Post Office and Supermarket:

Above the roofs of Pripyat:

There´s no better way to get a glimpse of the former size of the city than standing on a 16-storey-building, where the following captures were taken. For me, standing up there, was by far one of the most impressive experiences of my whole life. Only short time after the hard climb up the stairs, one thing really hit me in an instant: an indescribable silence I´ve never witnessed before. No cars, no air planes, no humans. Even birds are hardly singing. It´s probably hard to imagine for lots of people, at least for those living in densely populated areas. Even during a walk in the woods, one normally can hear the typical background noise of civilization. Suddenly, that noise was gone. My first thought was: dead silence. That impression is still affecting me deeply. The fact to look down on former traces of human lives only add to the unreal atmosphere. A whole city is at my feet and all I can hear is simply - nothing. I take a last look at the wrecked reactor no. 4 in the distance that soon will be disappeared underneath the new so-called New Safe Confinement (NSC). Despite the peaceful atmosphere, I still have the uneasy feeling of being a belated witness of a catastrophe which is hard to comprehend. 

DUGA - "The Russian Woodpecker"

The DUGA-array was part of an over-the-horizon radar system (OTH) and was located near the former Chernobyl nuclear power plant. It´s highest antenna was around 150 metres high and does still exist. The range of the array was around 9,000 kilometers. During the cold war era, the radar station was of course like similar stations top secret. 

Already at the end of the 1970's an interfering signal was received by short-wave radio stations. It sounded like a woodpecker that´s why it was later called "the Russian Woodpecker". It was early suspected, that those sounds might belong to a Soviet over-the-horizon radar. When reactor 4 of Chernobyl blew up, the OTH system could not be kept secret any longer. Thus, the theory was confirmed

There are also many conspiracy theories concerning the radar station. According to those theories, mind control and the possibility of influencing the weather were made possible by DUGA. 

• By The Invisableman
      It's been a long time since i've posted anything here and I was surprised to see my account was still active. Been quite an absence for me for any UE and am starting to feel slightly out of touch with the community, so having had the pleasure of seeing Chernobyl last October i thought this gives me the perfect opportunity to re-introduce myself. Anyway, enough of my dribble, on with the report.

Brief history 

The Chernobyl disaster was a catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 (30th anniversary this year kids!) at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine (then officially the Ukrainian SSR), which was under the direct jurisdiction of the central authorities of the Soviet Union. An explosion and fire released large quantities of radioactive particles into the atmosphere, which spread over much of the western USSR and Europe.
      The Chernobyl disaster was the worst nuclear power plant accident in history in terms of cost and casualties. It is one of only two classified as a level 7 event (the maximum classification) on the International Nuclear Event Scale, The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles. During the accident itself, 31 people died. The rest as they say is history.

Visited October 2015 with a load of other lunatics. Enjoy 

Cheers for looking 

• By Funlester
      I have been wanting to go here for years and finally got round to going earlier this month on a 2 day tour.
      It was awesome to go and so hard to explain what its like there.
      The Chernobyl disaster was a catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine, which was under the direct jurisdiction of the central authorities of the Soviet Union, Id put more but you all must know about it.
      Here are a few of the photos I took

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!