Maniac

Interesting article on BBC news today

'Ndrangheta: Exploring the mafia's underground world'

I don't think I've ever been so relieved to see sunlight. Since dead of night I had been crawling through tunnels strewn with rat excrement, personal effects and the paraphernalia of the cocaine business.

The dust and damp were choking. How long had I been underground? Four hours? Five? Eight? Then at last, filthy, tired, and disorientated, I surfaced into a gorgeous mountain landscape, and a breeze bearing the perfume of wild oregano.

I felt as if I had just escaped a brush with insanity, with evil.

The tunnels were in the town of Plati, on Aspromonte, the "harsh mountain" that dominates the landscape at the very toe-tip of Italy's boot.

Plati has been notorious for a century as a stronghold of the 'Ndrangheta, the Calabrian mafia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22315469

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By upright_ninja
      I don't know if any of you have seen ITV news this afternoon (possibly the London regional version) but the Millennium Mills has been used in a training exercise for the emergency services. A simulated aircraft crash was set up to test the response times of the fire crews, medical teams and security services etc. in time of crisis. As soon as the news started I recognised the place. Scrutinising the footage it would appear that the 'Leap of Faith' window has been boarded up! How mad it would have been to be inside the building 'sploring' while all this was going on... another missed opportunity!
      u>.<n
    • By mrtoby
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7664661.stm
    • By darbians
      I went out for a walk with my camera. Only objective no bugs or macro as that is what I mainly shot. Walked out of the town and see an old bridge. I figured it was the test track underneath and thought I would take a look. This is what I found..

DSC_2422 by darbians, on Flickr
      So I worked out how to get to the tunnel and took the above shot on the way to it.
      Once inside I set up.... Let the fun begin.

DSC_2439 by darbians, on Flickr

31 seconds by darbians, on Flickr

tunnel vision by darbians, on Flickr

DSC_4250 by darbians, on Flickr
      Time to wander through and get to the other side.

time tunnel 2 by darbians, on Flickr
      I had a look around the other side and found a few interesting bits.

022 by darbians, on Flickr

the pump by darbians, on Flickr

pumphouse 2 by darbians, on Flickr
      Later on after some research I found out that there were 3 tunnels in total so a return trip was in order.

DSC_4452 by darbians, on Flickr

DSC_4427 by darbians, on Flickr

DSC_4446 by darbians, on Flickr
      Sadly I never thought of this shot at the time so I made another return for this very shot.

spot light by darbians, on Flickr
      Thanks for looking guys I hope you enjoy my first explore.
    • By Canonguy
      http://www.silentuk.com/?p=2703#more-2703
      here is a brief history on ally pally but more can be found at:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Palace

pigeon sh*t everywhere luckly the builders have left this table for my bags

these are the room the stars/guest would have stayed in each with there own log fire and butler

some rooms are completely trashed

good place to watch a free concert/darts from

wish i had my ladder

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!