Pezzarr

Thamesteel - Sheerness - September 2012

Another one of my old reports, but i thought no point gathering dust in my hard-drive!

Visited several times, with SX-Riffraff, Myself, and someone who i wont mention.

politics beside, this place is vast, and i mean huge, one of the biggest places i've had the change to see, every turn was filled with dusty metal goodness, by the time we came out it look like we had be down a pit! great fun, few cheeky people shots, lots of lovely run on words, hot slags for example ;)

Anyway, here's some photos - Excuse the bad editing, this was a while back when i thought this style was cool ;) P.s the sunbeams are all natural !

8703538893_db5738df07_z.jpg

8704660270_ca00f3650a_z.jpg

8704658610_c5f0f94b05_z.jpg

8704652812_937d68681d_z.jpg

8704651914_5257ba0a85_z.jpg

8703525247_5ed3b5d3f9_z.jpg

8703524179_b3b0cdd479_z.jpg

WHY DO THESE LOOK SO HAPPY? :rolleyes:

8703513087_6a86397434_z.jpg

8703510339_190a95c7f7_z.jpg

TONKA TRUCKS ANYONE? :)

8704631210_2372e81206_z.jpg

Oh and btw If you want more there's plenty on my flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mperryphotography/

Thanks for reading! :)

Guest Scattergun

Yer no wrong about size there, place looks huge. Seen a few of this now but it still looks awesome :) Great shots mate. Love the light rays and the shear sense of scale. Well captured.

Its nice this place looks like you got more time to wander round than we did..good shots mate

The pics are really cool, definitely a different style, actually like the border a lot lol!

The site is a beast though, thanks for sharing your pics!

Absolutely brilliant! Love pictures of this place, an industrial giant, and only 10 minutes from me!

ten minutes away..come on mate you should have been first in lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Space Invader
      explored with...
      wevsky ,obscuirty ,stealh2k12,fortknoxo,urbanginger and six riff raff
      a little history ...

This is a large and interesting complex, located at the northern end of a tight triangular junction with the Sheerness-on-Sea branch. First proposed in 1969, the construction of Sheerness Steel Works was given the go-ahead in 1971, building work beginning in that September on land largely occupied by Army playing fields. The building cost was priced at £10,000,000 (£105,921,790 at 2008 prices), and included swallowing up a goods yard recently made redundant by British Rail.
      The works, a private venture under Canadian ownership, commenced operation in November 1972, and was designed to recycle scrap cars into steel coils and rods. The latter were for use in reinforced concrete and the steel mill had the capacity to process 180,000 tons of scrap metal per annum. It was envisaged that the mill’s yearly capacity could be increased to 400,000 tons within four years and, indeed, an additional £5,000,000 was invested in the works in 1975 to meet this target. Steel was produced using the electric arc process, and the mill remained a profitable venture until the second half of 1980. Much of the scrap metal dealt with originated from Mayer Parry Recycling of Erith, this being shipped down the Thames. Scrap metal and finished steel were also carried to and from the works by rail, and for this operation, new wagon batches – tailor-made for this type of traffic – were produced by ''Procor''. The rolling stock was leased by the steel mill at a time when there were few privately-owned wagons running on British Rail; indeed, this was one of a small number of works which was not part of the nationalized British Steel.
      For many years the Sheerness Steel Mill was owned and operated by Canadian-based ''Co-Steel'', but with this company's struggling finances, it was sold to ASW Holdings Limited of Cardiff, Wales after a deal was finalized in December 1998. The latter could only keep the operation going until July 2002, the company subsequently going into receivership on 10th of that month - the end seemed nigh for the works. And in January 2003, Sheerness Steel was taken over by Thamesteel...
      on with the pics...

thanks for looking
    • By Wevsky
      Quick bit of history and a linky if you want to know more
      The steelworks in Brielle Way, Sheerness, went into administration in January but in June it was sold to a company which is part of former owners, the Al-Tuwairqi Group (ATG).
      http://www.kentonline.co.uk/times_guard ... _mill.aspx
      This has been a while coming but we managed to get all of us together and go down and have a gander...There are signs of the pikey folk being at work and some of the control rooms are now welded shut as the locks seem to have been hacked off..The site is huge and loved every minute of the place right up until i looked over my shoulder and spotted One secca stood there..3 of us waled calmly out and await the other guys from across the road just as police car number one pulled up .Quick chat as to had we been in the steelworks ,no of course not etc and off they went so we started off down the road as 3 more police cars booted it down just as the others where coming back out.We got stopped and questioned by a right stroppy fucker who was keen to discuss things at station ,so necks where wound in and we where allowed to leave..
      visited with Obscurity,Stealth,Fortknox 0,Space invader and Urbanginger and sx-riffraff
      Heres some pics of what we got before being disturbed

And yes i pushed it

And a quick one as you do..

Thanks for looking was a pukka trip out
    • By AndyK!
      Land on the Isle of Sheppy was acquired in 1968 by the Sheerness Steel Company and work on a steelworks began. Built within the Garrison Town surrounding Sherness Naval Dockyard, the first steel was produced in 1972 and production continued for the next thirty years.
      In 2003 the site was sold and the new owners invested heavily into Thamesteel, revitalising the production facilities and rolling mill. A new 95 tonne Fuchs UHP Electric Arc Furnace was installed, replacing the original blast furnace and enabling the recycling of scrap steel, followed by two in-line ladle furnaces to refine the steel before continually casting into billet. The new furnace and further investment in 2006 in a 4 station continuous casting machine increased production from 750,000 to 1 million tonnes.

A large 18 stand rolling mill rolled the billets into straight bar rounds and rebar. In turn this was fed into a 10 stand rod finishing block. The resultant round or ribbed steel rods were then cooled and if necessary, coiled.
      By the late 2010s the company was experiencing financial difficulties and the threat of closure was realised. A number of measures were put in place to try to save the steelworks but in 2012 negative conditions in the market sealed its fate. The plant closed making all 350 staff redundant.
      Talk of the plant reopening continues, but with 250 outstanding unfair dismissal claims to be resolved first, a £3.5 million bill served on the land-owners to remove contaminated waste from the site and the deteriorating state of the structure, re-opening looks very unlikely.

Visited with @SpiderMonkey and Kriegaffe9.