The Urban Adventurer

A D House - a little gem on the south coast (Pic Heavy) (Visited Sept 2012)

Luckily this place has been saved..unlucky for us urbex folk..it’s undergoing full renovation now..

Some minor HDR on these pics..so if that offends please don’t look…

I’ve lived round these parts most of my life..I’ve walked past this place so many times and never realised that it was abandoned..guess I should have gone to Specsavers !

It was built by a very prominent Dover man around the beginning of the 1900’s and designed by a leading architect of that day who went onto design the Garrick Club in London. As you can see there are some heavy Art Deco influences in the detailing.

The views are one of the best on this part of the coast and it still amazes me why anyone would let this house fall into such a bad state of repair.

Not sure how many of you have found a full size snooker table whilst out exploring..this really blew me away..the snooker table was made by one of the UK’s leading makers, their snooker tables graced the rooms of many a fine country house!

My favourite place was the green bathroom..almost intact after all this time. Solid cast iron as well that bath..I’m not kidding !

During the 1960’s / 1970’s is was some form of nursing home..all they did was stick gas fires in front of all the beautiful fireplaces and boxed in the detailing..

The sun room was also stunning with its patterned glass roof and commanded amazing views over the English Channel.

The House on the hill..

Game of snooker anyone..

Bath time..

The Sun room..the view and roof were very cool!

Wicked curtains...wicked view..

Not sure what this is...the wife informs me that it is some sort of washing machine..way beyond me..

Nature on the attack

External view of the sun room..

The safe was empty...

Nature on the inside..

What was left of the kitchen..

entrance to the sun room..

The sun room ceiling..

The view from the terrace

Cast iron fire detail

A classic gas fire..

I'm told this is a cooker ?

This safe was hidden behind a wooden panel

Nature trying to get in..

Nothing like a good knob !

A little bit of stained glass.

Thanks for looking, got hundreds more pics of this place...don't want to bore you all..in a way I'm glad it is one place that is being saved !

Edited by Nelly

Guest Scattergun

Ace close ups :) I love the detail. That snooker tables pretty impressive too! Great set.

That is A-MA-ZING!! Loving the sun room and all the little details, but all of it is lovely and you have captured it well. Thanks for sharing :jump

Yet another cracking write up and pics.:D

So glad to hear the place is being renovated as looks lovely as does the surrounding location.

Quality share thank you

Guest Dubbednavigator

Awesome stuff, be a great holiday home on that hill if it were done up

Thats quality mate, what was that cooker thing you were going on about? I got some up in Google images but I don't recognise them?

HDR is spot on for me, great detail shots! The Tumble drier is very cool :D

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By AndyK!
      We had no idea how we would get on here. After driving through the night and arriving in the early hours, our entry was just awful! As we sat in the freezing cold, and the light started to appear at the windows, we could see it was worth the effort. Visited with @SpiderMonkey, obvs!

The Royal High School was constructed between 1826 to 1829 on the south face of Calton Hill in Edinburgh, at a cost of £34,000. Of this £500 was given by King George IV ‘as a token of royal favour towards a School, which, as a royal foundation, had conferred for ages incalculable benefits on the community’. It was designed in a neoclassical Greek Doric style by Thomas Hamilton, who modelled the portico and Great Hall on the Hephaisteion of Athens.
      After the Old Royal High School was vacated in 1968, the building became available and was refurbished to accommodate a new devolved legislature for Scotland. However, the 1979 devolution referendum failed to provide sufficient backing for a devolved assembly. Its debating chamber was later used for meetings of the Scottish Grand Committee, the committee of Members of Parliament in the United Kingdom House of Commons with constituencies in Scotland. Subsequently, the building has been used as offices for departments of Edinburgh City Council, including The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award unit and the Sports and Outdoor Education unit.
      With the passage of the Scotland Act 1998 and the introduction of Scottish devolution in 1999, the Old Royal High School was again mooted as a potential home for the new Scottish Parliament. Eventually, however, the Scotland Office decided to site the new legislature in a purpose-built structure in the Holyrood area of the Canongate. A number of uses have been suggested for the building, including a home for a Scottish National Photography Centre. As of 2015, Edinburgh City Council – the building’s current owners – have initiated a project to lease the building to be used as a luxury hotel.

Finally a few shots of the grand neoclassical exterior...

• By Ghost-Scooter
      In January I visited this abandoned part of a hospital that is still in use. Unfortunately most of the rooms were almost cleared - but nevertheless worth to be shown.
      DSC09857-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09858-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09861-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09856-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09832-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09833-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09830-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09862-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09835-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09836-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09828-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09829-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09838-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09841-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09844-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09846-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09850-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09847-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09848-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09851-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09854-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC09852-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
    • By sj9966
      I'm sure you all know this place first hand, it was a very popular place and it's had a lot of Urbex traffic pass through it.
      Visited with Rusty on a Sheffield day trip back in September 2011
      A real cool old place, I'm not sure of it's current status.

• By oldskool
      Ok the ice house opened 1900 closed 1990 ......NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE DOME CAMERA .........

Thanks for looking Oldsk@@l..........
    • By darbians
      Sadly this place is no more. One of my first explores last year, it may please some of you to see non processed images from myself too
      Here is abit of history from Geograph:
      The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum was situated in Yarmouth Road, Thorpe St Andrew near Norwich. The architects were Francis Stone and John Brown (Norfolk County Surveyors) and Robinson Cornish and Gaymer of North Walsham. The County Asylum was intended specifically for pauper lunatics and was only the second institution of its kind when completed in early 1814. The buildings were originally designed for the reception of 40 male patients in April 1814, followed by female patients in June of the same year. Roughly 70 patients were present on average in the early years. Extensions in 1831 and 1840 allowed this number to double and more substantial additions in the late 1850s as well as the construction of an auxiliary asylum, which was completed in 1881, some 700 inpatients could be accommodated. The auxiliary asylum or annexe is situated to the north of the main buildings, on the other side of Yarmouth Road, connected by a lane that was carried over the main road by a bridge. In April 1889 the institution was re-titled the Norfolk County Asylum, and after its modernisation into 'a hospital for mental disorders' (with reorganisation into distinct male and female asylums) there was room for more than 1,000 patients.
      To read it all look here:
      Sorry no tripod So a few flash shots have been used!
      17 Hope you enjoyed thanks for having a look.