mookster

The Ordinary House... (July 2012) 2013

...in an ordinary street in an ordinary city.

Driving past this you'd never know it was empty, sure the front garden could do with a trim but to all intents and purposes it looks just like any sizeable late Victorian or Edwardian townhouse, in an affluent area of the country. It is surprising to hear then that this house has lain empty and uninhabited since 1995, and amazing it was left sitting in this condition. It first popped up on the radar a year or so before my visit and I assumed it was long cleared and sold on, but a message from a Facebook contact told me to get my arse up there as it was still around. So me and Gigi Soden duly made the trip, and it was every bit as special as I was expecting. Just proves you don't need to travel to Belgium to find epic houses!

7625035734_ff2746f3f6_c.jpg

7625035048_a27c0a5fa8_c.jpg

7625030182_335cc0c02c_c.jpg

7625027738_8c8e5e92b8_c.jpg

7625024640_c860340a24_c.jpg

7625020756_04f63aec01_c.jpg

7625019372_e22df75bb3_c.jpg

7625014274_28246f481f_c.jpg

7625013672_da6f74d379_c.jpg

7625012784_4d5219e7d7_c.jpg

7625009262_dba40bbbd7_c.jpg

7625003424_08c36fea40_c.jpg

7625002454_1eb9cff7e9_c.jpg

7625059896_11dc0aec5b_c.jpg

This is only a small selection of photos from the place, loads more here http://www.flickr.com/photos/mookie427/sets/72157630701612596/ :P

Guest Scattergun

Like they've all just died yesterday! Bloody nice find Mooks. Looks like my house.. :-|

Thats one really nice place, no one would ever know its been empty that long.

Really good pictures Mooks, thanks for sharing

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By WildBoyz
      History

As far as history goes for this particular property, it is sparse as it is nothing more than a fairly modern residential building. One newspaper based in Barnsley reported that traffic came to a standstill as a result of a fire at the property on Rotherham Road. Two fire crews attended the scene and spent two-and-a-half hours extinguishing the blaze. A second source suggests that the fire was caused by a lit candle, and that a woman had a lucky escape. The woman concerned apparently suffered slight smoke inhalation but was otherwise in good health. The property itself is an average sized two-storey house. Its notable features include an indoor swimming pool and a spiral staircase. 

Our Version of Events

Of all the places we could end up in, we ended up in Barnsley. After looking at the town hall and wandering around the town and its meat and fish market for half an hour it didn’t take long to run out of things to do, so we decided we might as well look for an explore. However, the best thing we could find, unfortunately, was an old burnt down house. We tried a couple of other spots beforehand but didn’t have much luck overall. 

The house on Rotherham Road is exactly what you might expect for a residential explore – mostly empty and damp. As noted above, though, it does feature an indoor swimming pool where you can try your hand at floating across on doors someone has thrown in. Needless to say, we weren’t very successful but it was certainly worth a quick go. The second bit of the building that’s worth a look at is the spiral staircase in what we think was the former living room. This room was the most photogenic part of the explore so we spent most of our time in here. Going up the staircase turned out to be a complete waste of time because this is where the fire was. There is very little left of the roof and most of the floorboards look rather fucked. Compared to the mansions and castles of Belgium and France, then, this explore is a big disappointment, but it does kill fifteen minutes if you happen to be passing and fancy a swim. 

Explored with Ford Mayhem. 

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

• By skankypants
      My first post on here,so hope i dont mess it up,,,here are a couple of pics of a place i found yesturday in Shropshire....fully boarded from the inside,so no shots of internals unfortunatly...think it would be a belter though...

Hope this works......
    • By Ninja Kitten
      The House Of Tears...this place has been a labour of love and hate on occasions...Those who recognise her will know the history and the tragedy that runs throughout her walls..she is simply stunning to walk around in knowing that some of our legends of music have stayed there also made it even more of a truley amazing place to be...after seeing a post on her a couple of years ago and her getting battoned down faster than lightening i decided to hunt her down and give her a whirl back in september..lady luck shone that day and we got the whole afternoon to wander about her..i know the tourist trail hit her very quickly and no doubt youve seen her already, but heres my take on a magnificant building slowly being preserved..
      splored with Perjury Saint
      i hope you enjoy her as we did...

• By Perjury Saint
      THE ACID HOUSE...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      This was last stop on a southern road trip which saw myself, my partner in crime NK and non members Alt day out and Sshhh! playing at pirates, would be brain surgeons and finally donning our lab coats to have a good mooch round this bizarre place...
      Grand, crumbling mansion from the outside, weird chemical store inside??
      Highlight of the trip as far as I'm concerned!! I love places like this, full of gubbins that you can have a good root through
      Hope you like the pix...
      ACCCIIIEEEED!!!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THANKS FOR LOOKIN ACID 'EADS!!
    • By Ninja Kitten
      nice little wander with plenty to see..explored the end of 2012..after a great day with some brilliant locations this was a bit of a wild card ide sat on for about a year so thought we better check her out and im glad we did...The building is tucked away in woodland and full of plenty of surprises hope you enjoy the pics....