Judderman62

ROF F, Apr2013 - Pic Heavt and contains street Art

For those who don't like street art look away now.

Not much info to be found on tinterwebs during my 5 seconds of reserching.

The site is pretty sizeable and bigger still before bits were demo'd and a big

prison built right next door (think the land it's on also used to be part of the

factory - but not 100% on that)

Nice relaxed mooch - stripped to just bare buildings now but still a nice mooch, several shelters

throughout the site and lots and lots of street art.

8752623075_581ce8c811_z.jpg

8753751434_4f6565678b_z.jpg

8753757964_43b44e2960_z.jpg

8753758528_cbda3a4099_z.jpg

8753755606_673b0e176a_z.jpg

8753759588_79a05f331a_z.jpg

8752635033_a609a687b6_z.jpg

8753760684_92a979c9a3_z.jpg

8753763594_70b518941c_z.jpg

8753767762_d0fc5197a9_z.jpg

8753773772_198c9a52b7_z.jpg

8753774954_6742b4836a_z.jpg

8752650397_3c375bf4ec_z.jpg

8752652859_b0227eaa26_z.jpg

8752655119_99fa157327_z.jpg

8753781926_b766fe8a97_z.jpg

8752661259_0779ddf133_z.jpg

8752662445_43846a47ea_z.jpg

8753799090_5af90c54f3_z.jpg

8752675287_d9b95bdd84_z.jpg

8752678337_a039468869_z.jpg

8752685371_d81ba155d8_z.jpg

8753817606_639d645f42_z.jpg

8753818818_8e76961fb3_z.jpg

8752649183_07ca99128c_z.jpg

As we were almost done I saw a figure coming on site in a white shirt .. fellow explorer ?

No two G4S seccas from the prison next door. . They'd noted my car had been parked on

the road for 4 hours and just wanted to check all was OK. On explaining what we were

doing there they told us to carry on and bade us farewell - jolly nice chaps they were too.

Visited with the man that some call ....... Zero81

I used to feel like that ... but when it's on buildings that are middle of nowhere and/or are not going to be re used ...

I have done a u turn on graf from hating it without exception when I started UE four years ago to now loving any that has any artistic intent - still can't be doing with just scribbles, tagging n poor graf mind

I really like that, the street art is really nice too! Adds a bit to the place I think, better than tags in my opinion.

Super set of pics and a great share :thumb

graff and urbex goes hand in hand ....O N L Y ....I SAID......O N L Y when its done right im going to add a photo of a location i did in france last month before and after

8766255137_ccae036e60_c.jpg

Hospital Diablo before and after fame ....this is what happens when location details fall into the wrong hands by Paul Morris aka Mr.Oldskool.., on Flickr

sorry for posting this on your thread man ....nice little report

Totally agree with Oldskool on this one, some places just dont need graf! George barnsleys has been hit... Very naughty!!

That said... Crackin pix as always Judders!! :)

Guest Scattergun

Place is a proper derp eh mate? Some of that graf though is quality. Nice wee set :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Maniac
      I wanted to go here more for personal reasons than anything else. My mum grew up in Chelmsford, and she and her mum and a lot of their friends all worked for Marconi at different times.
      Well what can I say it sure is a mess - pikeys and graffiti artists have been at play here. Having said that if you move away from the factory floor areas and into the other areas, it's not actually too bad. It's totally stripped, hardly anything to show what it's purpose was which is a shame.
      Also it's huge - it really is a pretty big site, you don't realise until you're inside. There must be 4 very large factory floors, with several other large spaces as well as a 5 story high admin block, which although very samey does get better as you go higher. Then there's the very oldest part right at the front.
      Visited on the spur of the moment with Obscurity and his misses - cheers for a good day people

It has to be said, this bit's pretty bland

Amazingly all the glass is intact, but the ceilings trashed.

Old meets new

There's a few bits left

I love the roof of this building.

Reception area was pretty good, shame it's no where near as neat as it was in earlier reports, but it could be worse.

The main lobby of the oldest part.

Although it was trashed in parts, I thought it was a pretty good - it would have been fantastic to have seen it in it's prime.
      Maniac.
    • By Lavino
      visited st josephs myself woopashoopaa and gronk this was our first stop of the day after we gained access we found it was now being inhabited by pidgeons and there was shit everywhere. the church and been pretty much stripped but was still worth a look. as the place hasnt been covered that much.just as we had left and crossed the road taking our externals the police turned up so made our escape to our next place so heres bit of history i found and a few pictures
      In October 1870, Father Henry J Lamon (see "St. Joseph's Clergy") was appointed head of the new mission that would soon become the Parish of St. Joseph, Wigan, and it was due to the untiring zeal and great energy of the new Rector that rapid progress was made.
      The first service was held on 22nd January, 1871, in a small chapel that formerly belonged to the Primitive Methodist Body, in Caroline Street, but in a very short time the building was found to be too small for the increasing numbers of Catholics living in the surrounding Wallgate area.
      Consequently, with the permission of the Right Reverend Doctor O'Reilly, Bishop of Liverpool, Father Lamon purchased some adjoining land to the chapel, at a cost of £500. The old Methodist chapel was then pulled down, and on the site was erected the first church of St. Joseph, which opened in April 1872. This new church was built to accommodate between 500 and 600 worshippers at a cost of £3,000 - a considerable sum at the time.
      At a further cost of £5,000, through the support of his faithful parishioners, by 1874, Father Lamon had built the schools at St. Joseph's, which soon had an average attendance of over 800 scholars!
      However, it soon became evident that the new church was totally inadequate for the requirements of the district, and steps were taken without delay for the erection of a more extensive building.
      NOTE: During his time at St. Joseph's, there was frequent correspondence between Father Lamon and the Bishop of Liverpool, regarding the possible acquisition of land around Caroline Street. Indeed, some of Father Lamon's letters to the Bishop, which are kept in the Archdiocesan Archives, suggest that the first Rector of St. Joseph's was most shrewd and business-like when dealing in such matters
      In due course, more land adjacent to the church was purchased, and the old premises were removed to make room for the building of a second new church!
      The design of the new St. Joseph's Church, the one that so many came to know and love, was entrusted to Mr. Goldie, of the firm of Messrs. Goldie and Child, of Kensington, London, and the contract, which amounted to about £6,000, to Mr. J. Wilson, of Wigan, with Mr. Weatherby acting as clerk of works. In 1877, the foundation stone was laid and blessed by the Right Rev. Dr. O'Reilly, and, together, with the adjoining Presbytery for the accommodation of three priests, the church was completed in 1878 and opened on Sunday, 30th June of that year.

P

• By Urbexbandoned
      So I had been told about this little school up north a while back and recently had the pleasure of visiting it.
      Split in to 2 sections, one for the girls and one for the boys with a great big wall down the middle I can only assume that being a schoolchild here and meeting a child of the opposite sex was like being like a kid in a sweetshop. It was infact an Infants school so probably didn't have my mindset
      Access was pretty easy, made our way in to the Girls side first and was a good job we were with it as there were no floors, we initially thought we were too late. We clambered over beams and made our way upstairs to have a look about, a few little bits to see but not much really. Conversion had begun.
      Came back down, went to the boys section again access was relatively easy, having a wander about and was pleasantly surprised.
      Whilst the girls side was in the state it was, this side was aside from other urbexers and vandals not too bad. Lots to see so out came the camera!
      The reason I called it Pigeon Street School is because I have literally never seen so much Pigeon shit in my life! This was no longer a resting place, it was a bloody hotel for the feathered rats!! Everywhere I leant, everything I touched it was Pigeon! I was covered in the shit, literally! But, Pigeons aside it was a good explore and there was lots to see. I have since been told it is undergoing complete restoration so relatively lucky with timing.
      Sorry if it's a bit pic heavy!
      Class room

This room, well I absolutely loved it! The decay, the colours, the single chair. I must have spent a good 20 minutes alone in this room.

I am pleased to say that I can read and know what these things are. A brief visit back to education taught me well.

One of the corridors, lovely circular skylights beaming light in and on the floor is the toilet for pigeons!

She wasn't in Class today! School's out!

Where the pigeons hang their bags

Reading time

I got quite excited when I see these, I used to use them at school. I know.... easily pleased right!

Another shot of that beautiful room

Don't ask.... I just thought it looked cool!

Another Corridor

Residents

One side of the school, Boys.

• By The_Raw
      This is a thread to share any impressive artwork you've come across inside abandoned buildings. Graffiti, street art or whatever you want to call it isn't always to everyone's taste and it can be an annoyance when done in the wrong place. At other times though it can really bring a place to life and actually be more interesting than it's trashed surroundings if it's done well. Let's see some of the stuff you've found on your explores!
      I'll start off proceedings with a series of paintings by Phlegm, one of the UK's most prolific street artists. These were all found in his home town of Sheffield.

• By franconiangirl
      History
      The public bath, constructed in the style of Art Nouveau, consists of three pools (two for men, one for women). Additionally, it had several showers, steam- and public baths and even an own bath for dogs. It was opened in 1914 after a construction time of three years (1911 - 1913). In the same year it was shortly closed due to the start of World War I. The entry prices at that time were between 10 - 40 pfennig (former German currency).
      During WW II the swimming pool was protected due to different air raid precautions, which contained mainly brownout through covering the windows with curtains or cardboards. Some lamps and windows were also coated with paint. Below the consisted several bomb shelters for the nearby population. Despite all measurement, the building was largely destoryed due to several bombings. After the war it had to be reconstructed, which took around 15 years until it was completed totally. In the 1970s the number of visitors decreased steadily, due to a lack of investments, which made the baths more and more unattractive compared to other, more modern swimming pools. In the year 1994 the baths was closed and hasn´t been opened until today. It was temporarily used for popular techno parties in the 90's but the future is still uncertain.
      ​A re-use as a swimming pool has been considered to be unprofitable so far. It´s a pity to see such amazing architecture in the state of decay.

The Entrance Hall

Swimming Pool for Women

Swimming Pool for Men I

Swimming Pool for Men II

Public Baths

Technical Area

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!