Hi everyone, I'm Black Shuck as you may know or not know. I have been using a variety of Fuji Finepix Bridge camera's for Urbex for the last 5 years. From a tiny S1000fd when I first started, through an S100FS, then a S200 EXR, and finally now a Fuji HS20 EXR. As you may all know, these camera's are ok and have a huge fixed lens capability, for example's sake, my HS20 has 28mm to 720mm. I face the a bit of a dilemma, as I feel I am ready to make the move to my first DSLR, possibly a Nikon 3100, with the bog standard 18mm to 55mm kit lens. I understand that the DSLR's picture quality will be much better as the sensor size is larger than a Bridge Camera, but I am worried that I'll end up missing the huge zoom capability of a superzoom bridge camera. The other option is Fuji's Finepix X S1, that combines a larger sensor than the HS20 which uses a compact sized sensor, yet rated at 16.9 mega pixel. The X S1 has a large sensor than the HS20 but combines it with a 28mm to 628mm lens, is still substansially smaller than the 3100!!.... Help needed pleeeeeaasee!!.:razz:

I have a D3000 and my gal Noodle has the D3100. Both in my opinion are great camera, a great step up from a bridge, which I had before, and do everything we want them to do. You could pay loads mor money, but I don't know that you actually get many more benefits.

Guest Dubbednavigator

Id consider a D40. First camera i had, superb as well

My first dslr was a sony Alpha £279 brand new and did a good job,well would of if id of known how to use it..but there are plenty of entry level Dslr's available all have pros and cons mate

Went from canon 350D to a Nikon D40x, i would highly recommend it as a first camera, looking to upgrade to the d90 soon !

Guest Scattergun

It's really down to personal taste. I also used a D3100 and now that you can pick one up for £300 you're getting a lot of camera for your money. Not really familiar with makes like Canon and Sony as I don't use them. Try experimenting if you can. Find someone who has a dslr and have a go with it.