Timster1973

France That Prison in France - PICCY HEAVY - 2013

Evening all,

Its a residence I guess but feel free to move mods/admins.

Yeah its a set from here - doesn't need an introduction as you probably all have seen a few photos floating around of this place.

Still got a few to post and will end up in the usual place on Flickr but here are the majority that I've processed from here before it got all busy. The 3 of us had the run of this place the weekend we went.

On with the photos

8934453044_9d87d5296e_z.jpg

8979983463_97bc601cc9_z.jpg

8938917166_8a1c29b301_z.jpg

9095005450_b859f6c57d_z.jpg

9086846573_53d24a3576_z.jpg

9088810716_49b779aa21_z.jpg

9086198063_3569e10243_z.jpg

9044247162_85292dc8dc_z.jpg

9094445987_359f56781d_z.jpg

9100392133_e215b90ab8_z.jpg

9093821493_10bbe20447_z.jpg

9153670520_ca802bbce1_z.jpg

9147030024_8f1881cfcd_z.jpg

9144665449_d69ae9d638_z.jpg

9174444992_239a110f5c_z.jpg

9153052019_4620def341_z.jpg

9154221002_09ecb1f5b7_z.jpg

9151787517_241b7f41dc_z.jpg

9178740950_dc55ac0ae7_z.jpg

9176050949_0fd06fbbbc_z.jpg

9175241573_c68924224a_z.jpg

9174950069_23512f6f8e_z.jpg

9187214752_30df850df2_z.jpg

9184462207_9ee59909c0_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Wevsky
Add thread prefix. :-)

Some cracking shots, and would love to visit a prison! looks a fabulous explore! Thanks for sharing Timothy! :)

Favourites are the shots with the doors and stairs to each wing!

Great set mate!!!

I already wanted to go here, but after seeing your pics, I really NEED to visit the place.

Very well captured and a couple of well thought through compositions..

LOVE them! :thumb

I saw some pics of this place on Faceache.

Stunning pictures mate. Looks like the kind of place you could spend days if not weeks covering.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The_Raw
      A while back I posted a report from a creme de la menthe location called Chateau a la Mange Tout. This sanatorium sits on the same site, not bad having two half decent explores right next to each other, joie de vivre! I meant to post a report at the time but never got round to it. It wasn't massively photogenic so I only took a load of hand held shots but there was a fair bit of stuff inside. Bon appetit, as the French would say                                                                                               Last but not least we had a quick peek inside the morgue, no slab but some body fridges left behind.   Tres bien ensemble    
    • By Gromr123
      This one is from earlier on in the year during a trip to France/Luxembourg, one I thought worth posting up here!

Chateau Lumiere needs no introduction, a magnificent building with such grandeur its hard to believe its been abandoned. The huge glass skylight allows daylight to illuminate all the floors, making for wonderful lighting. During the last few years Chateau Lumiere become a bit of a tourist destination, with vandals smashing the large mirror in the big foyer. Luckily its fared well over its many years of dereliction and is still one of the most beautiful buildings I have had the pleasure of exploring.

History

Built in early 1900s, this house was owned by a tobacco tycoon from Switzerland. After the owner moved away in 1950s, the house was used for business purposes, and was sold multiple times before finally being left empty. 
      There isn't a confirmed date it was abandoned, but the general consensus seems to say its in the 1980s. 

The Explore

After finally finding the location of it and seeing it was a reasonable distance from Luxembourg where were staying for 2 weeks, it  became a must do. We found a charming cheap hotel in the next town over and booked a night there. 
      Finally the day was upon us and were there, stood outside awestruck by the Neo-Baroque styling of Lumiere.
      We looked for a way inside and quickly found a well beaten track round the back. As we approached I could hear voices inside.
      We definitely weren't the only visitors that day, in fact there were loads of people wondering around inside! 
      Most other people were explorers like us, however some weren't there to take photos as it turned out a bit later...

We started with the basement and worked upwards. The basement actually had quite a bit of stuff still left there, unlike the rest of the floors that were bare to say the least. In fact the house was almost empty from the ground floor up. All the fittings and fixtures remained, but no personal items were left at all. 
      We photographed it from nearly every angle we could think of. The best thing about Lumiere is just how photogenic it is. Its hard to take a bad picture.
      It was a fairly relaxed explore, until we witnessed a group of 12 year olds smashing the glass skylight and then coming downstairs smashing bricks onto the marble floor. The red-mist descended as I yelled down at them at them from one of the skylight balcony's while waving my arms around like a loony. I must have looked like a madman. 
      They didn't understand my English, I certainly didn't understand their French. Luckily they didn't stick around much longer to do any more damage. 

With the drama over we got back to the explore, now alone in the house. 
      We spent about 3 hours inside in total, but you could easily spent much longer there if you wanted to photograph everything. 
      One thing that struck me was the quality of every little detail. Silly things like the latches on the windows still work flawlessly and feels better made and smoother than any modern window latch I've used before. 

Anyway, on with the photos.

Photos

Externals

Internals

In the porch there is this notice, translates roughly too:

"Many of us have seen that you like this in all its splendor. Photographers, Models, Fans of Urbex, but some unscrupulous individuals do not respect...Alas!
      Yet you are known everywhere for your splendor, and the sublime cliches that you have brought us.
      Today April 19, 2015 we owe you this ... to give you a bit of sparkle ... after the vandalism that you have undergone.
      Thank you to those who will preserve you forever
      Respect this place as you would at home
      PLEASE!
      Do not break! Do not vandalize it..
      Do not leave rubbish, paper etc..

Bring your waste back with you.."

The entrance hall and foyer.

Sadly this used to be where the the large mirror was, but was broken in 2015.

A rather interesting choice of wallpaper...

Recent damage to the glass skylight.

Saw this in the loft and couldn't help but get a photo too

The Details

The Basement

• By WildBoyz
      History

Ouvrage Latiremont is a gros ouvrage (large work) of the Maginot Line – a line of concrete fortifications, obstacles and weapon installations built by France in the 1930s to deter invasion by Germany. The site of Ouvrage Latiremont was selected and approved by the Commission d’Organisation des Régions Fortifiées (CORF) in 1931. It cost eighty-eight million francs (approximately twelve million in pound sterling) to construct the fortification. The design of Ouvrage Latiremont is known as a casemate fortress – a fortified or armoured structure, also referred to as a vaulted chamber, from which guns are fired. Once completed, 75mm and 81mm guns were installed and a second phase was planned, to add additional 75mm and 135mm gun turret blocks. However, the second phase of the development never went ahead as the funding was allocated elsewhere. 

Latiremont has two main entrances and six combat blocks (three infantry blocks and three artillery). It also comprises more than five kilometres of underground tunnels and galleries; these are at an average depth of thirty metres. A small narrow-gauge railway system, which was connected to a regional military railway system, once linked all six sections of the fortress and it was used to transport supplies, such as equipment, food and ammunition. There were said to be several stations inside Latiremont which were large enough to service and store large trains. Once fully operational, Latiremont was placed under the command of Commandant Pophillat. Pophillat had twenty-one officers and five-hundred and eighty men of the 149th Fortress Infantry Regiment at his disposal. 

Following the 1939 invasion of Poland, Britain and France declared war on Germany. Thereafter, between the September 1939 and June 1940, Latiremont fired over 14,4  52 75mm rounds and 4,234 81mm rounds at German forces. The fortress, though, was not directly attacked until June 1940. On the 21st June 1940, the German 161st Division led by Colonel Gerhard Wilck, which brought 210mm howitzers and 305mm siege mortars with them, launched their attack against Latiremont. While the attack was underway, a small number of German units moved to the rear of the Maginot Line where they were able to cut power and communications. Despite heavy resistant from Latiremont and nearby fortress Fermont, firing ceased on 25th June and both garrisons surrendered to the German forces on 27th June. For the remainder of the war, the area was used for a German propaganda film, to document the June 1940 attacks, but it did not see any further significant fighting. 

In 1951 the French government attempted to restore many of the northeastern ouvrages, to defend against a potential advance by the Warsaw Pact. However, following the establishment of the French Nuclear Strike Force, the importance of the Maginot Line diminished. Latiremont was subsequently abandoned by the military in 1967. Today, the fortress remains abandoned and has suffered heavily from water ingress. 

Our Version of Events

Aside from drinking beer, this explore was our reason for being on the other side of the English Channel. We weren’t certain at all if the place would be doable, but after reading about it we decided it was probably worth the risk. Nonetheless, towards the end of our trip there was a sudden drop in team morale. This resulted in us taking a vote in an Aldi car park, over French bread and Biscoff, on whether or not we should crack on and drive for three more hours to reach Latiremont, or turn tail and check out a few old manors as we headed back to the ferry terminus. With the votes all in and tucked nicely into a hat, we made a short ceremony out of revealing the results. In the end, the remainers won, four to two, so there would be no leaving Europe just yet. 

We finished off our Biscoff and spent our remaining Euros on food in Aldi before we set off for Latiremont. Our combined wealth got us a couple of tins of beans, a box of mushrooms and some spices to sprinkle on top. Someone did offer to buy our car in the car park after we got the supplies in, but we had to insist we really needed it to get home to England. The potential buyer still didn’t seem to see that as a problem though. It was quite a mission to shake him. 

The drive over to the border of Luxembourg was very pleasant. We played some banging tunes and arrived at the location with plenty of time to spare. At first, we had anticipated that finding the fortress in the forest would be quite a challenge, but as it turned out we stumbled across it within ten minutes of being there. Gaining access to the gros ouvrage was a little more tricky of course – it is a military fortress after all! 

Once inside, we found ourselves in a standard-looking bunker. There were signs and evidence that guns had been positioned in here, and at first we thought that was that. Most bunkers we’ve entered have been fairly compact and bare, and you can usually get through all the rooms very quickly. Our minds were blown, then, when we discovered a lift shaft and, after peering down to see how high it was, realised we couldn’t see the bottom. Obviously extremely excited at the point, at the prospect the place was going to be absolutely huge, we began to make our way down a staircase next to the lift shaft. 

We made our way down the steps, which went on for a long, long time, until we reached the bottom where we found ourselves in a cold tunnel surrounded by enormous blast doors. It was at this point we realised we’d underestimated how big this place really is. For the next few hours, then, we made our way through different snaking tunnels, and explored many side rooms and chambers leading off from them. One of the best parts of the explore that we came across was some sort of old gun turret. There were plenty of others things to see as well though. This place was certainly a bit of a time capsule. The only problem, however, was that we started to lose track of where we were inside the fortress. It’s very easy to get lost in the labyrinth-like corridors and rooms and we’d eaten all the bread earlier in the day, so making a breadcrumb trail had been out of the question. Eventually, we felt as though we were well and truly lost so decided it was time to find a way back to the surface. It took a little while, and a few false turns, before we found a tunnel that sort of looked familiar. We followed it and, thankfully, ended up back where we started. 

All in all, then, this explore was absolutely fantastic – certainly one of the best military fortifications we’ve ever explored. It’s also steeped in interesting history about the war. Anyone who happens to find themselves near Luxembourg should definitely pay this place a visit. You never know your luck after all, you might find a way inside like we did. 

Explored with Ford Mayhem, MKD, Rizla Rider, The Hurricane and Husky. 

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

26:

27:

28:

29:

30:

31:

32:

33:

34:

35:

36:

37:

38:

39:

40:

41:

42:

43:

44:

45:

46:

• By prettypeculiar
      Right,
      Found out i still had an active membership here and kind of forgot about it (The ADHD is strong in this one) So I decided to start posting again, since I'd like to get some honest/valuable feedback on my pictures and that is something i am surely missing on social media.

So here it goes.

Visited this castle in July 2017. I really like the decay and that there's so little graffiti. Seems like most vandals forgot this castle which made me happy. 

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!