• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By evo_mad
      My Brother & I were told about the old Dewhurst factory in Ystalfera and wanted to take a look.
      We located the place, got in and started walking around, took loads of pics.
      We found a boiler room, took a few more and turned to go out of the door.
      I looked up and saw the dreaded red blinking PIR light , pointed it out to RB and calmly but speedily left the area.
      Once we were outside, we decided to take 5 and wait to see what the response was.
      We waited 30mins and no-one turned up and as we turned to leave, I saw the sign over the door of the factory was GMF, we looked to our right and there was the Dewhurst factory.
      So we decided to take a look in there as well. both great places, if a bit chavved up and mostly stripped.
      The GMF Factory.

A shot down the side.

Obviously had an auction at some time.

Obligatory long distance shot.

I like anything with "controlled" written on it.

Old invoice.

Incoming 3 phase.

These ones below are from the Dewhurst site.
      Some trashed phone kit.

In the boiler room.

"Arty" shot of the heating pipe.

Interesting fire protection system. ty-wrap melts, releases the wire.

Which releases the lever with the weight on.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
      J.
    • By Maniac
      Visited with Shadow, Frosty and Muffie.
      This place has been in my mind for years, but it's only recently since moving to Faversham that I went and checked it out, and today being snowbound a local explore was called for. I expected the remaining buildings to be totally stripped, which they pretty much were except for one end of the back building which still housed some of the origenal equipment and thus makes it worth posting.
      Firstly a little history.
      Founded in the early 1700s by Edward Rigden. Registered in 1902. Merged with George Beer & Co (Canterbury) in 1922 to form George Beer & Rigden Ltd, when the Canterbury brewery was closed and brewing was then concentrated at Faversham.
      George Beer & Rigden was then acquired by Fremlins Ltd (Maidstone) in 1948. Brewing ceased at Faversham in 1954, but was resumed in 1961 to meet increased demand. Following the takeover of Fremlins by Whitbread in 1967, Fremlins' Maidstone brewery was closed. Finally, Whitbread closed the Faversham brewery in 1990 and transferred brewing to Cheltenham.
      A large portion of the buildings were converted to a Tescos supermarket in 1996, but there's still 2 or 3 buildings left un-used which we were able to have a peek at.
      (History from http://www.breweryhistory.com)
      Outside Shot. The building housing Tescos is to the Right of this building.

Inside shot, a majority of the buildings look like this, lots of structural re-enforcement. I understand from a friend one of the clauses when Tescos converted the first building into a supermarket was that they made the other buildings safe and re-enforced the structure.

Just behind that blockwork wall is the Tescos cafe.

Success, there's just about enough left to make it worthwhile.

At one end is this dodgey as staircase, but it's worth climbing.

Top of the stairs

Right up in the top of roofspace.

So there we go, not the most amazing place in the world, but another one ticked off the list.
      Maniac.
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      I done my first before and after shot this weekend, only because I saw an old pic after I visited the angle is miles off but I know some people love this type of stuff.............................. so lets have em !!!!

Really looking forward to a thread full of awesome stuff
      The Baron
    • By Andy
      Unfortunately, I don't know any history.
      By the way, all photos were only taken from the outside, through the bars of the windows. Therefore, no access was possible - or if, only by a deep cellar window. But even that wasn't possible because of local residents. So I only took a few photos from the outside and then we drove on.

• By TheVampiricSquid
      History:
      founded in 1836 and specializing in manufacture files and cutting tools for use in the shoe making industry, they grew to become the world’s leading producer of tools for shoemakers. The technological revolution of the 20th century saw a decline in the need for traditional tools. George Barnsley & Sons survived until 2003 when the premises finally closed.
      Explore:
      This site was 2nd on the agenda for my day in Sheffield with Miz Firestorm, Duggie & Alex. Short walk from the courts and we were there, somewhat interesting entry (although i can't go into details ) and we were in! Had a nice, undisturbed wonder round here - stunning place I must add, really enjoyed it here. I'll upload the rest of the pictures from the day once I get round to editing, but until then, have these..

As always, thanks for looking!

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!