mookster

What Places are you Gutted you Missed?

Simple really...kind of lifted from the 'Teleportation' thread but different :)

What places are you gutted to have never seen that if you could invent a time machine you'd instantly go back and see them?

Me, I missed Cane Hill in it's intact nature by about 18 months! I saw it from the outside when it was stripped and about 2/3 demolished, and that was it. I'd loved to have seen Deva and St. Mary's Asylums as well given the chance, Deva was gone before I got into it proper and St. Mary's was too far away for me to get to it although it was still around for a bit while I was starting.

I missed Colindale Hospital by a matter of weeks, the same weekend as the Cane Hill trip which was my very first weekend of urbex back in 2009. By the time we turned up expecting a totally intact hospital, demolition crews had moved in and were crawling over the site...

The car graveyard in Chatillon in Belgium, I absolutely kick myself for not getting over there and seeing it before it was cleared. Same with the SAFEA Fertiliser plant in La Louviere, a site that rivalled Pyestock in size, closed in the late 70s but stayed pretty much intact up until it was demolished a few years back...

Just remember, don't take these places we are exploring now for granted because one day they will be gone...

I can't say there is anything I feel bad about missing, and besides I've probably done something or half a dozen which others have missed so it's all good.

Haroldwood Morgue is one that I wish I hadn't missed. Living up in Preston it'd have been one hell of a journey but worth it from the look of the reports I've seen of it.

West Park. Still pains me greatly to think I missed that one, was so close to finally making a trip out as well.

A return visit to Pyestock before it was gutted, that would have been nice, but at least I got to see it.

Guest Scattergun

Thompskis got a good point. There's a great deal that I've been fortunate enough to see before its demise and for that I'm grateful, however missing out on the asylums is something I'd happily turn the clock back for. Cane Hill, St Marys, Royds, West Park (although I got the morgue and the new bits), Stonehouse.. Getting to do Pyestock would have been nice too but hey, that's the way it goes.

Guest Dubbednavigator

Definitely Cane Hill for me, every write up i see of that place i read in envy.

High Royds & Whitty are more, might be able to tell im a bit of an asylum buff ;-)

I can't say there is anything I feel bad about missing, and besides I've probably done something or half a dozen which others have missed so it's all good.

Good attitude, me too with the places I know people have missed...just got to get in while you can and before the relentless march of progress!

At a local level however, I wish I had got to see this place in Oxford (not my photo)

444821251_ad286b9380_b.jpg

It was a hospice/retirement home before it closed but was many other things in earlier years, but it's location scuppered any form of me getting in...it now houses the Oxford Story Museum.

Edited by mookster

Oh, the other place I wish I had seen - the Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital (abbreviated to CRCMH or CRX) in Taplow, demolished a few years back now...I remember it being one of the first derelict places I read up about after Cane Hill, the front building looked fantastic and the whole place gave me the creeps looking at the photos. The exterior wall topped with shards of glass sticking out the concrete always intrigued me, I'm not sure something like that would be allowed nowadays....

It as also another place with a jolly long corridor!

Like Pyestock, it has a whole website devoted to the place

http://www.crcmh.com/abandonment.htm

Edited by mookster

Good attitude, me too with the places I know people have missed...just got to get in while you can and before the relentless march of progress!

At a local level however, I wish I had got to see this place in Oxford (not my photo)

444821251_ad286b9380_b.jpg

It was a hospice/retirement home before it closed but was many other things in earlier years, but it's location scuppered any form of me getting in...it now houses the Oxford Story Museum.

The window is open... :P

Definitely Cane Hill in any form, and now that I've seen Sevs I wish it had been sooner after closure.

Pyestock will be a bit of a sore point after 3 fails and only one success - getting into stores and power station.

Like Shush says don't let the grass grow under I guess :)