chopper

Bury Tunnels, Lancs

A friend of mine used to work for Chicago Rock cafe (now the Art Picture House), on Market Street, Bury. He swears blind, that while he worked there, he went through a door behind the bar, which took him into a red brick, pitch black tunnel that led underground. He says it isn't the cellar or under stage access from it's theatre days. Apparently, this tunnel links with others in Bury, that link the Elizabethan Suite and the church on The Rock, as well as others.

Now, normally, I'd take this with a pinch of salt. But I know this guy, and I don't think he'd be having a laugh, then or now. He is adamant that it's there.

Has anyone else ever heard this story? I'd love to know more. I plan on going in and speaking to management when I go back, but that will be a few months yet...

Thanks

Rob

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lavino
      a recent visit with @woopashoopaa @Telf and @GRONK was a fun day out had by all of us.visited various locations so on to the police station after have a good look around and telf working out our way on site we spotted our entry point finally got in all was good headed streight upstairs was going well till we reached the ground floor and got busted. so not many pictures as i was more busy looking around and to be honest not really much to see a bit of history and pics....
      The building has been empty since 2010, when the police force left Irwell Street for a new £16 million base in Castlecroft Street.
      A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: “We recommend that the public do not enter condemned buildings and adhere to safety signs that are on these buildings.
      “We will arrest and detain anyone who is caught breaking and entering.â€

• By Thelocksmithman
      Well here goes a first report on here since i joined in 2013, completely forgetting i had created an account so please accept my delayed apologies for being inactive...

I visited this place in 2014, so a while ago now... hence why the pictures are how they are . After an epic road trip up north, we returned to our hometown and had an opportunity for something we had been working on for a while. Exhausted from lack of sleep and driving many miles, we were not going to miss this window of opportunity and visited the place before it was no longer doable.

Really not sure on the history of the place, possibly built as wine vaults? Unable to find any records of it to be honest, it was really a right place at the right time thing. I believe it was at some point used as a youth club, then left vacant for a number of years and last i heard it was a gym. Unsure of the current situation, would like a revisit with the new camera and glass but beggars cant be choosers eh!!

Visited with non members JDY and xcon2icon. Access at the time was a walk in the park, and ive not seen it posted before so hoping its something that isn't the monotonous same old stuff for people to look at either, despite the lack of decent pictures!!

Really not the most exciting evening, no security, no nosy neighbors, no drama!

Thanks for looking!!

• By coolboyslim
      Ok this has been planning to be upped for a while but lost the pics till now lol.

@bolts and @Stitch2016 where with me and bloody hell learned where he got his name from on this mad has hell adventure.... History i have none other than it was for disbaled kids and special needs.

Ok let me tell you a crazy tale.
      It began with a nice invite from bolts to come check out this school his mate had found.
      Bloody good stuff and off i went.
      Met up with bolts and headed out to the school. Once we got there checked out the pic on whats app of how to get in. After some scouring it was found and in me and bolts went p.s this was just to get into the playground.  With awesome people shot chances and cough p3 lol

Said playground

Now has bolts has posted his report elsewhere turns out my pic pops up searching name of school. Only just saw this after trying to find history. So hopefully this will also work lol..

@bolts on playground

Anyways on with the tale.
      So after taking some shots and having some fun @Stitch2016 turns up and off we go getting in.
      After finding a better way in we went. Now at first the place was rather bland and bare i say at First. Anyway here is the pics of bland ish bits.

Now has you see quite bland.
      But has the tale goes on ....
      In this time bolts had accidentally triggered a pr. And a little beeping sound started up. Then stitch says dont worry no one came the last time. At what point i thought well who turned it off lol.
      Anyway with risk of secca and the place bland it wasent looking great Until. A voice came from another room saying we got power.

Said room

Then stuff turned up odd for a school..

Ok bit more intresting ... Then more stuff . This place was bigger than at first thought. And i aint going to lie the alarm thing was worrying and later you will hear what happens.

Then from out of nowhere i here OMG a pool.
      I thought wth a pool in a school lmao ryme at the right time .
      And yep there it was a pool and hospital stuff and POWER.
      A school with built in hosi. hell yea Now i apologize some of the next shots are not great .. This is due to hiding and running but that can wait pics first.

Now let me explain how this next part went.

Bolts spotted a secca guy standing outside. Cutting the explore short. While watching said secca another turned up . While heading for way out saw all the beds etc and just fast shot what i could .. The place looked great and wish i had more time but unfortunate that secca had other ideas. Now has we headed for a nice fire door we got out and stealthed our way to get off the site .. That did not last long has when we got to said exit a little look back and fook me 4 or 5 secca stareing back from inside school. And WTF they started taking pics . We got out of the playground. BUT it was not over yet has we went round a corner fook me Two vans and Two cars. Secca army now this is where bolts gets his name. We all fled and got split up . I thought i was long gone only to be ambushed by 5 secca wanting to know crap. So made some shit up about bird watching. They yapped for a bit saying shit like breaking in. Then over radio heard some shit about someone running from school i presume bolts lol. So they let me on way . Fooking crazy crazy crap. Was the most fun and crazy explore i have done yet. propper heart racing crap. Please people stay away its alarmed and secca are well not the niceist and in force. But whens that ever stopped anyone lol.....

Some of Said secca taken by bolts. Hope ya dont mind m8ty..

Anyways has always hope you enjoyed and thanks for looking and reading.
      See ya all soon.
    • By Hydro
      Explored with @-Raz- & @Fatpanda after a series of car problems.

History;

Sandsend Tunnel is a tunnel on the former Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway that was opened in 1883 and closed in 1958. The rail line that ran through it was originally intended to travel along the top of the cliffs, however some of the cliff fell into the sea whilst construction was suspended so the NER constructed two tunnels, the Sandsend tunnel and the Kettleness tunnel.

The Sandsend Tunnel is the longer of two tunnels being 1,652 yards in length. It is predominantly straight but the north-western 300 yards incorporate a curve to the north.
      There are a total of five air shafts, two of which have nearby service galleries leading off horizontally to the cliffs which were used to dump spoil while carving out the tunnels, the air shafts were capped in 1958. The southern half of the tunnel is considerably damp with the tunnel being flooded to about 6 inches on the southern 300 yards. The southern portal of the Sandsend tunnel is bricked up and it can only be accessed via the northern portal of the Kettleness tunnel by walking through the Kettleness tunnel and the area between the tunnels which is overgrown with grass and trees. The northern portal of the Sandsend tunnel partially collapsed in 2008 after years of pressure from the cliff above.

"It is not recommended to access the tunnels due to their poor condition; they have not been maintained since they were abandoned in 1958." - Both tunnels were in pretty good condition other than the odd bow in the wall from the pressure of the cliff above, which just goes to show how strong old school engineering really is

Walking the lines;

Parking in the hamlet of Kettleness we walked over the cliff tops to where we assumed the portal for the first tunnel was, crossing the farmers field wondering how secure it would be. On arrival however, it transpired that the NY council are a lot more laid back about railway tunnels then WY as instead of the normal palisade fortress, we found just a brick wall with a door sized hole in it.

The tunnels itself was rather interesting as far as railway tunnels go, each featuring a mine adit filled with horrible orange, knee deep disgusting muddy water. Did i mention it wasnt very nice? Myself and @Fatpanda had left @-Raz- further up the tunnel so we went for a mooch down one of these. I would say it was about 100m from tunnel entrance to adit entrance, but 20 mins and up to the very limits of our wellies, i misplaced my foot whilst feeling for the next board and went in up to my lower thigh, which of course meant my welly filled to the brim. YUM!

Rest of the photos;

Tunnels;

Mine Adits;

Thanks for looking

• By wellingtonian
      Longbridge Tunnels
      Visited during an interesting nights exploring in Brum with Lenston.
      Here's some history shamelessly lifted from from his excellent report:
      Here's the iconic shot of ladies building the engines during the war

And on with some shonky pics.

Lenston doing what he does best

Some sections had been painted and were really well preserved

That bin......

Thanks for looking

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!