OS52

Hi from darkest Wiltshire

What ho chaps,just a quickie to say hi.I was directed here by his Nellyship and was known as oldscrote in another place.

Welcome along..if your a freind of nelly does that mean your one of the football loving brigade..if so we wont hold it against you :thumb

Cheers for all your greetings chaps,fortunately I'm not a footy fan but I do enjoy my cricket.OK Nelly I'll have a rummage through the archive and see what I've got.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Wevsky
      This was day 2 of our Wiltshire trip and was really nice to explore,must admit i personally didnt wander as far as frosty and tb's did as the farmhouse cider had well and truely kicked in so myself maniac and obscurity had a shorter wander on our own.Raptor jesusturned up in the middle of the night which was a nice touch to the evening
      More info can be found here..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown's_Folly

Could have covered more ground but id had cider and feet where killing me and all the tea lights looked pretty !
    • By AndyK!
      Tottenham House is the centrepiece of the historic Tottenham estate in Wiltshire, England. The grade I listed house has 103 rooms and mostly dates from the 1820s when it was remodelled by Charles Brudenell-Bruce of Ailesbury. Set in forestry land that originally stretched for over 100 square miles, the extensive estate was partly used as a deer park and the deer still roam the lands to this day.

The estate was the home of Jane Seymour, the third wife of King Henry VIII, who died giving birth to the future king Edward VI. Henry VIII, a keen deer-hunter, regularly stayed there as a guest of Sir John Seymour, Jane’s father.

The Ailesbury family lived in Tottenham House and shared it with the US Army during the Second World War. They moved out in 1946, at which point Hawtreys Preparatory School used the house until 1994.

In 1966 the house was designated as Grade I listed, and the 50-horse stable block and octagonal folly in the deer park were designated Grade II listed.

Visited with @SpiderMonkey and @PROJ3CTM4YH3M.

All the walls in this room were lined with marble...

The circular music room with ornate dome ceiling is stunning

And finally a few externals

• By Merryprankster
      just a quick one, not going to write an esssay on this one as it's been done a hundered times and i really need to go do some christmas shopping! visited with 3 non memmbers before heading to certain social event around the corner. was a banging day, wanted to see box for ages and from what i gather took in the majority of the cool bits and bobs down there, the robots, some cranes, the door and of course cathedral. Was nice going down with someone experiences as he knew a lot about the workings of the mine and would point out cool things that might have gone unnoticed, crane anchor points and erosion in certain places caused by the ropes hauling the stone around corners.

History courtesy of http://www.subterraneanhistory.co.uk/
      This mine has been worked over centuries (probably back to Roman times) and extends many miles. It is located in the village of Box, near Bath. It was used to extract limestone which was used to build many of the buildings in the local area and had military uses during WW2. Box is now a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest, on account of the number of bat species which reside in the mine. There are many famous sites to see within Box Mine including the Cathedral (an open shaft to the surface) and the robots (a large number of bricks which people have taken to making into robots and other things). 

have a great christmas kids