Wevsky

Fan bay shelter To be sealed and reopened to public

Someone mentioned that this shelter was to be sealed..Sounded like bollox to me but this has appeared

I have seen lots of rumours doing the rounds on the internet over the last few weeks that Fan Bay is going to be permanently sealed up. I actually work for the National Trust and administer the Fan Bay tunnels. I wanted to let you know what our plans are. I know they won’t be initially popular with some people but I hope you will understand the National Trust’s position and that you might actually be interested in helping us out with the project.

The National Trust purchased the remaining section of the White Cliffs in-between Langdon Cliffs and South Foreland last year; we also purchased Fan Bay deep shelter in the process. The National Trust had planned to seal up the tunnels in a much more robust way than the St Margarets shelter which has suffered repeated and costly break-ins over the years. It would have been shuttered and filled in with concrete. I then put forward an alternative proposal to open the tunnels up to the public; I have now secured the funds and am the project lead.

Fan Bay will be secured over the next few weeks using a metal door which is surrounded by deep concrete shuttering. However this is still only a temporary fix pending works to the tunnels which will be reopened to the public in 2015. We plan to open up the two entrances into the side of Fan Hole and we are also planning to excavate the two sound mirrors. The sound mirrors if they remain are rare First World War survivors and some of the first to be constructed in the UK. We will also excavate and expose the remains of the WWII surface structure. The tunnels will remain unlit, and will remain in their raw historical state, the public donning hard hats and torches to go down via a guided tour. Minimal works will be completed inside the tunnels to make some sections safe. The corners of the stairs and the southern entrance tunnel will be re-finished in wood by mine engineers and will match the original work left by the 1940s tunnelling company. The sections of support which were actually left by the scrap men who started to strip the tunnels in the 1950s, will remain where they were left. The ventilation which has fallen down will also be reconnected using the original techniques.

We will be working on the inside of the tunnels over the next year. There will be the chance for people to volunteer and get involved, please let me know if you wish to do so. I need help with the digging; I need help with historical research and I would love to utilise people’s skills in photography. I am also more than happy to arrange trips down Fan Bay for interested parties, from November. My office is at South Foreland lighthouse where I am the site manager and I am more than happy to meet and discuss our plans in more detail.

I am actually a caver and am passionate about all things underground. I have been around for quite a while and have been underground with many of you. I am usually an advocate of open access sites and this is why the tunnels have remained accessible during the last year of our ownership to enable people to see them prior to our works. So whatever the whys and wherefores are of sealing up or managing underground spaces, I hope people realise that this is the best case scenario for Fan Bay. The project will preserve the public access, as well as the character of the tunnels which have suffered considerable damage over the last few years. It will also help us to tell the important and often forgotten story of the Cross Channel guns.

If you havnt seen it then you may be to late!

later to this i found this pic on facebook

1235119_10151936434024203_1585863285_n.jpg

the bloke seems genuine enough and is hoping for a good reaction to this and people are welcome to offer any help with prepairing this

his contact details are...

If you have any queries email southforeland@nationaltrust.org.uk FAO Jon Barker.

Cheers Wevs, we were going to have a look here the weekend :( Despite never getting to explore it I'm glad something is being done to preserve these important historic structures!

Was up there last weekend having a wander about, it certainly is re-sealed and looks like a more permanent job this time. For those that know how entry to this could be a bit slippery when wet there is a nice looking ladder under that metal doorway leading down into the gloom! Langdon hole was OK..still open :-)

from speaking to the guy and comments he lft on fb it seems as langdon is off the beaten path they have no reason to seal it up!Think they have spent a fair bit of time so far clearing the mud from the steps for future visits..with help from the men in beards of course(kurg)

Was up there last weekend having a wander about, it certainly is re-sealed and looks like a more permanent job this time. For those that know how entry to this could be a bit slippery when wet there is a nice looking ladder under that metal doorway leading down into the gloom! Langdon hole was OK..still open :-)

I ended up sliding down it on my ass even though it was bone dry, still dont know how I managed that!

Awesome stuffs, I'm a volunteer for a few other underground projects, its awesome to be involved in unearthing history, literally! I have lame transport issues but im certainly interested in being of use, Im in between jobs atm as well so have; time, internet, research skills, funding experience and i speak legislation and policies when i have too and im happiest ickle soldier getting my hands dirty!" if possible,ive been keen to get dahn saff for a while :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gromr123
      Hi all,

I'm new to Oblivion State, but I've been doing Urban Exploring for about 18 months now.
      Here is my latest explore from late last night. 

Coulsdon Deep Shelter

This was the site of my first proper Urban Explore about 18 months ago. I remember scrabbling through the woods one October night with some friends (that I think were quite convinced I was trying to get them killed) trailing behind me to try and find the way in. Eventually of course we made it in and it was all worth it. I of course had no idea what I was really doing, I don't think any of use really do when we start this rather weird hobby.
      Neither the less, 18 months later and I'm still hooked (and somewhat poorer with all the camera equipment I've bought).
      I heard that this the shelter had been sealed up with a massive pile of dirt back in the middle of last year. However a few months later there was a report up in October saying it was back open again. So I made a mental note to go re-visit when I got a chance.

History

The History has been said many time about this locations, so I won't go into great detail. You can get a very detailed write up anyway if you look this shelter on Google, so I'm not going to try and compete with that.

It was constructed in 1941 It was bough by Cox, Hargreaves and Thomson Ltd, a manufacturing company that made Optical Equipment. They operated from the 1950s to the 1960s. However the moisture and cold made the tunnel unusable for manufacturing high precision equipment. It was bought by a motor vehicle repair company but they moved out for the same reasons sometime later. It was sealed up and left for years before being opened up at sometime later.

The Visit

I tried to find 'the usual' way in, but as reported a massive (Its truly massive, it would take a digger hours to clear it all away) mound of dirt and bricks was piled on top of it.
      Anyway, we dug about with sticks a bit to try and work out how someone got in previously, but gave up after a short while. We started to head back in defeat before accidentally stumbling across a totally new way in.
      Compared to 18 months ago, not much has really changed in the shelter.
      The only new thing is the bright pink speakers and DJ mixer that have been left in there from rave some people must have had in there. There was actually cable going into the entrance from outside, so I am assuming they ran a small generator outside and ran the power inside for the speakers. Pretty clever IMO.

Full album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamr123/albums/72157661916861733
    • By The Elusive
      Lovely trip to see this place; I think its been a while since it was photographed. 
      Sometimes you often find yourselves questioning why we do the things we do… today was no exception.
      Migraines, hidden holes, rubble every where and bad air! not to mention the occasional squeeze
      Still had to be done and feel very fortunate to have seen this place,
      Despite the state of me and the location!

Bit O history..

There was a prevailing mood in the Government against deep shelters being built for the protection of large numbers of civilians. Their effectiveness from high explosive bombs was questioned, based on reports of their performance in the Spanish Civil War, and there were also concerns about costs. The Government’s preference for almost two decades had been for smaller, dispersed shelters, and so the large deep shelters that went ahead all had very specific causes, such as their being in areas with previously excavated mines and tunnels, or eminently suitable geological conditions, or even very determined local authorities who were willing to risk losing government grants to build the shelters they wanted.
      However when the Blitz started in the autumn of 1940 policy changed and permission was granted for the two large civilian shelters  Grant funding was generous given the need to protect the skilled workers.
      The shelter was in the side of the hill allowing access at grade into two main entrances, while at the uphill end a 25m ventilation shaft was sunk, doubling up as an emergency escape via a series of steep metal ladders. The tunnels in between these ends were cut out in a familiar gridiron layout, with four long perpendicular tunnels fed at both ends from the two main entrances, and eleven cross tunnels. Toilets, a canteen, and a first aid post were provided either in the cross tunnels or at tunnel intersection nodes. Within this 1596 bunks and 793 seats were provided for those lucky enough to have the requisite shelter permit.
      Construction began in December 1941 and was largely completed within a year, having suffered from escalating costs, geological problems, an unskilled labour force, and also paradoxically trespassers and vandalism. The original intention was that the tunnels would be 2.1m wide and 2.0m high with an arched roof, but the surviving tunnels are considerably larger than this. Records indicate that the considerable height came about following roof trimming required in the latter stages of the project due to the softness of the rock and problems with instability after exposure to the air.
      The shelter, like many of the deep shelters reluctantly approved by the Government, came too late to provide mass protection during the periods of heaviest bombing. After the war it was used for customs and excise storage, fire brigade training, and was even considered for Cold War use but rejected due to extensive dry rot. The Local Borough Council visited in the 1950’s to see if they could find a use for it, but disapprovingly recorded it to be “damp, dark and featureless” and it has been sealed in recent times. Local groups in the last decade have looked at ways of reopening it as a tourist attraction, and hopefully one day will be successful.

Thanks for looking  

More pics 
      http://www.the-elusive.uk/

• By franconiangirl
      History
      The public bath, constructed in the style of Art Nouveau, consists of three pools (two for men, one for women). Additionally, it had several showers, steam- and public baths and even an own bath for dogs. It was opened in 1914 after a construction time of three years (1911 - 1913). In the same year it was shortly closed due to the start of World War I. The entry prices at that time were between 10 - 40 pfennig (former German currency).
      During WW II the swimming pool was protected due to different air raid precautions, which contained mainly brownout through covering the windows with curtains or cardboards. Some lamps and windows were also coated with paint. Below the consisted several bomb shelters for the nearby population. Despite all measurement, the building was largely destoryed due to several bombings. After the war it had to be reconstructed, which took around 15 years until it was completed totally. In the 1970s the number of visitors decreased steadily, due to a lack of investments, which made the baths more and more unattractive compared to other, more modern swimming pools. In the year 1994 the baths was closed and hasn´t been opened until today. It was temporarily used for popular techno parties in the 90's but the future is still uncertain.
      ​A re-use as a swimming pool has been considered to be unprofitable so far. It´s a pity to see such amazing architecture in the state of decay.

The Entrance Hall

Swimming Pool for Women

Swimming Pool for Men I

Swimming Pool for Men II

Public Baths

Technical Area

• By Jess_RV
      Dear All,
      This is my first post on Oblivisionstate even though I have been a member on the Fb page for a while, I thought it was about time I uploaded my photographs on here! You will see that alot of my uploads will be in black and white as this is my preferred medium, with some editing. I thought I would begin with my visit to The Grove Air Raid Shelter back in november 2014. I have only included 3 images, as all to see were a series of tunnels. There were 6 entrances in total, which can be found via the grounds of a prestigious hotel, by this point alot of the entrances to the tunnels had been blocked up as you can see by the 3rd image, so there was abit of hunting to find one which hadn't been bricked up. The tunnels were relatively easy to find, I visited during night in the hope to catch some bats in these tunnels, unfortunately I didn't encounter any. All that was left in the tunnels were some broken benches and rubbish!
      I hope you enjoy my post and expect more from me coming soon!
      Some background:
      The London, Midland and Scottish (LMS) Railway, with some foresight one presumes, bought a large area of land near Watford along with it's now disused Manor House for use as their HQ in the event of a war, away from their current HQ in Euston Station. As events transpired, by Easter 1939 with the on going approach of WW2, the move had started in earnest, being known as Project X. The full report/history of this place can be found here: http://rastall.com/grove/projectx.html

• By Tinnitus Doll

Hi!
      This is one of our air raid shelters, it's situated under the city center and has modern filling in it.

That's all, have nice trips!

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!