Judderman62

(Permission visit) Clayton Le Woods Reservoir, Oct 2013

Built in 1884 to provide water storage for the Leyland area the reservoir was decommissioned

in 1992. It provided locals with water for 108 years and in it's heyday it stored up to 300,000 Gallons

of water.

English heritage twice turned down applications to have it listed stating it was "Neither a rare nor

an exceptional example of it's type"

It was previously owned by united utilities until March 2013. It will shortly be demolished to make way for 14

new homes.

With eleventy billion people milling round the place it was impossible to get many shots without several people in

shot, but here's the images I managed to grab.

27594451.653166ee.800.jpg?r1

27594445.426323b3.800.jpg?r1

27594423.3e3dd631.800.jpg?r1

27594419.75c8bf0a.800.jpg?r1

27594391.2835bb9c.800.jpg?r1

27594383.1a66617b.800.jpg?r1

27594381.3ac5eda9.800.jpg?r1

27594379.d610c0ff.800.jpg?r1

It look rare and exceptional to me, i do like the look of this place. And cracking shots, even with eleventy billion people milling about (that bit did make me chuckle)

Thanks for sharing :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Wevsky
      Right kindly let in by the bloke whos history im quoting,nice little sunday outing no stress no drama ..and a few beers
      Visited with Urban Ginger , Stealth and space invader
      Borrowed history..cheers barry
      Put simply, a redoubt is a detached outwork of great strength from which soldiers can fire in any direction, without flanking defences. The Drop Redoubt is certainly a formidable looking structure even now, with its massive walls, bombproof casemates and the caponiers providing excellent means of defence. Surrounding the Drop Redoubt is a dry ditch system over which the caponiers would have provided fire against any enemy infiltration. Known as Lines, they served a very similar purpose to mediaeval moats. The East Ditch leads from the Drop Redoubt to the harbour, and on the opposite side of the Redoubt, the Line extends out towards the Citadel. This was essential as the Citadel served as a place of final retreat should the rest of the Western Heights fall to the enemy.
      Access to the Redoubt was via a bridge, the evidence of which is still very clear. Once through this entrance, the officers quarters are on the right, and a guard room and cells on the left. The bombproof barracks are on the other side of the structure, and could have housed 90 men. Married soldiers also had quarters here, and they were situated opposite the bombproof barracks.
      There are 4 caponiers in the Redoubt, each with a gun room. There are also 3 gun rooms overlooking the East Ditch, and two more gun rooms to provide gunfire over the Line leading to the Citadel. The main magazine is situated by the married quarters, with further magazines attached to each caponier and the gun rooms defending the ditches.

Good morning out and nice to see OS back online!"!
    • By Nelly
      Not really derelict, but it was a quality mooch!!!

The plan for London's first garden cemetery was initiated by the barrister George Frederick Carden, who was inspired by a visit to Père-Lachaise in Paris in 1821. Alert both to the need for new burial grounds, and the commercial potential of the venture, Carden founded the General Cemetery Company in 1830, with influential supporters including Andrew Spottiswoode MP and the banker John Dean Paul of Rodburgh

The cemetery was established by Act of Parliament which had its final reading in July 1832, during a cholera epidemic -- a coincidence that implicitly made the case for reform.

The Bishop of London consecrated the first 48 acres in January 1833, and the first funeral was conducted a week later.

From the funeral of HRH The Duke of Sussex in 1843 to that of his nephew HRH The Duke of Cambridge in 1904, Kensal Green was the most fashionable cemetery in England

Its notable personalities include some 650 members of the titled nobility and over 550 individuals noted in the Dictionary of National Biography.

Kensal Green is the resting place of the engineers Sir Marc Isambard Brunel and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the mathematician Charles Babbage, and the novelists Wilkie Collins, Anthony Trollope and William Makepeace Thackeray; Lord Byron's wife, Oscar Wilde's mother, Charles Dickens' in-laws and Winston Churchill's daughter; a cross-dressing Army doctor and the surgeon who attended Nelson at Trafalgar; the creator of Pears' Soap, and the original WH Smith; the funambulist Blondin and the Savoyard George Grossmith; the first man to cross Australia from south to north, and the last man to fight a duel in England; the Duke's nephew who ruined the richest heiress of the day, and the English adventuress who became a French baronne disgraced by the accusation of murder.

Kensal Green boasts some 140 Grade I, II* and II Listed buildings and monuments, including the magnificent Anglican Chapel (Top 2 pano's)

The Cemetery is cared for by "The Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery" which is an independent registered charity

• By Stussy
      Just a crappy stripped out church, but something about it would tickle the nipples of a god fearing nun.

But I liked it enough to take a few pictures anyway.

I 'm almost sorry you had to look this report, I am scraping the barrel, but I'm not really sorry
    • By Space Invader
      right after being awake for 36 hours having a run in with everyones favorite friends and plan b leaving the four of us caked head to toe in mud soaking wet and ready to call it a night we then get a text from ojay an hour later we find are selves in Victoria arches Manchester ...
      visited with ojay, obscurity,maniac, wevsky stayed in the car with a four pack kicking himself
      a big for ojay being tour guide ..
      a little history ....
      The Victoria Arches were a series of arches built in the embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for Steam packet riverboats, and also as World War II air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases which descended from Victoria Street.
      Regular flooding of the river resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, and the arches were used for general storage. In World War II the arches were converted for use as air raid shelters.The staircases were removed in the latter part of the 20th century.
      on with the pics ...

Thanks for looking
    • By silverainbow
      Crete Road Reservoir was Constructed in 1866, completed late July Its sole purpose was to supply water to the Silver Spring Soft Drinks Factory, Visited with Space Invader
      On with some pics

And now for a bit of self indulgednce

And one from "Up Top"

Also Visited The Hills pipeline tunnel whilst we were there, Some pics from this also

Space Invader kind of got featured in this one

Thanks for taking the time to check out my pics