Trigg

Hi from North Shropshire

Hello all, after browsing some of the amazing places on here I now wish that I had a camera on me all the time just I case I come across anywhere of interest! I have been to a few but never taken pictures. I shall start snapping from now on!!

Welcome along mate..have a look in the forum see whats about and if in doubt use the search bar with the town your in..see what come up:)

Hello - fairly new here myself.

Once you've been out there a few times you'll probably find you end up with a fairly long list of 'must visit' :)

Good luck ;)

Very true. And hello from me (originally from Oswestry!)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AndyK!
      The history of Coalbrookdale foundry dates back all the way to 1572 when the land was passed to John Brooke who developed coal mining there on a substantial scale. A blast furnace was built at the site to produce iron, which blew up in 1703. It remained derelict until the arrival of Abraham Darby I in 1709. Abraham Darby I set about rebuilding the Coalbrookdale Furnace, using coke as the fuel. His business was that of an iron founder, making cast iron pots and other goods, an activity in which he was particularly successful because of his patented foundry method, which enabled him to produce cheaper pots than his rivals. The furnace was the first coke-fired blast furnace to operate successfully for a prolonged period of time.

The Coalbrookdale Foundry – this area has since been converted into a museum

Following the death of Abraham Darby II, Abraham Darby II was brought into the business as an assistant manager when old enough. The Company also became early suppliers of steam engine cylinders in this period. Experiments took place with the application of coke pig iron to the production of bar iron in charcoal finery forges. This proved to be a success, and led to the beginning of a great expansion in coke iron making.

In 1768, the company began to produce the first cast iron rails for railways. In 1778, Abraham Darby III undertook the building of the world’s first cast iron bridge, the iconic Iron Bridge, opened in 1780. The fame of this bridge leads many people today to associate the Industrial Revolution with the neighbouring village of Ironbridge, but in fact most of the work was done at Coalbrookdale, as there was no settlement at Ironbridge in the eighteenth century.

Workers boots hung on the front gate

The blast furnaces were closed down, perhaps as early as the 1820s, but the foundries remained in use. The Coalbrookdale Company became part of an alliance of iron founding companies who were absorbed by Allied Iron founders Limited in 1929. This was in turn taken over by Glynwed which has since become Aga Foodservice. Castings for Aga Rayburn cookers were produced at Coalbrookdale until its closure in November 2017.

Delivery yard, where the raw materials and scrap iron arrive

One of the two cupolas, seen from the melt shop delivery yard

Archive image of molten iron being taken from the cupola

Number 1 cupola. This mini blast furnace melted the iron ready to be cast.

Number 2 furnace

Above the furnaces

Compressors which blew air into the cupolas 

Rear of the furnaces

Ladles hanging from an overhead rail system for transporting molten iron

One of the ladles

Moving into the casting area where we find racks of moulds

Patterns laid out on the floor

Patterns laid out on the floor

The main casting shop contains a fair bit of automated casting equipment

Beside the production line with wagons on rails for transporting castings

Casting production line

Casting production line

End of the casting line

Casting machine, where the molten iron is pored into

Archive image of molten iron being poured into cast

Automated production lines

Automated production lines

Tanks and conveyors

Towards the end of the factory we find more machinery

Forklift trucks

Cherry picker

Extraction hoods in an old part of the site

The workshops shop contained a handful of machines

Dress in the machine shop

A pair of drills

More drill-presses

Finally, some of their finished products – an Aga in the canteen along with a Rangemaster fridge

• By Mrbeardo
      Visited with my second favourite ginger woman,toby and wakey
      Brogyntyn Hall has stood abandoned for 15 years. was owned by the Lord Harlech until 2000. Settled in the 1600s the house and its estate once presided over the land as far as the eye can see. The family was one of the great English dynasties and owners of Harlech Castle in North Wales as well.
      Unfortunately a string of tragedies including two Lords Harlech dying without wills, leaving massive death duties to be paid, saw the decline of the family fortunes and subsequent sale of the Hall. Interestingly it was also used during the war by British Telecom as headquarters for communications for the spy network operating in Europe.

• By skankypants
      My first post on here,so hope i dont mess it up,,,here are a couple of pics of a place i found yesturday in Shropshire....fully boarded from the inside,so no shots of internals unfortunatly...think it would be a belter though...

Hope this works......
    • By Bam Boostick
      Came across this one; Kinmel Hall near Rhyl - North Wales. Not too far from me so I'm going to do a little research about reaching the place via public transport (unfortunately I don't drive..).

Some history on the Hall:
      http://docs.novaloca.com/165_20062_634595428790297892.pdf
      The article:
      http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/architecture/kinmel-hall-the-welsh-versailles-lies-derelict-and-unloved--who-will-come-to-its-rescue-10502644.html?cmpid=facebook-post
    • By silverainbow
      After a quick text to Wevsky one bright sunny Saturday morning Dover bound we went, Was a really laid back easy going visit the place is so quiet its eery !
      History, a bit scarce to say the least but heres what little I could find;
      During a new fear of invasion from Napoleon III two new dry moats where added to the existing citadel defences. The northern and the southern moat both had their own casemates built. Between these there was also a defensive caponier built, but sadly this was filled in during the 1960's by the Dover Corporation and they gradually destroyed many parts of the Western Heights.
      The northern casemates are a lot larger than the southern casemates, with six separate rooms whereas the southern casemates had eight.
      So here goes with a few of my Pics taken on the Day, Difficult choosing them as this place is expansive to say the least and I took a fair few

Sorry about the sheer amount of pics, I took hundreds and this is just a few of them