I notice from some posts that tripods get some use here-with the advance in sensor technology do they still fill a niche and is that because folks like to keep the base ISO to as fine as possible?

There are some gloomy places, particularly underground but I sometimes think a bit of grain adds the grit to a scene.

Thoughts?

I guess every ones different and has their own styles and personally I find in low light environments a bit of light painting gets the results I prefer and the tripod provides a stable platform whilst doing so.

Plus I cant keep still at the best of times

:thumb

Oh underground needs a tripod a "bulb" exposure setting time so you can be creative and thorough with the lighting..even above ground i use a tripod to avoid camera shake and indeed make sure i have a well framed shot :)

I almost always use a tripod and have acquired quite a collection recently, my full-size Manfrotto which is a big heavy lump and has taken all sorts of abuse being chucked through fences/over walls/into hedges/through windows and is still fine....ish, recently I picked up a Velbon Mini as well for when I don't fancy using my big one...and I got another no-tag one off my mate for free which will be handy if I need a spare...and I have a Gorillapod too!