bango

Drakelow Tunnels Houses 'Drug Factory'

Hi guys, as some of you might now I am a volunteer worker at Drakelow so I thought I would give you the information first along our volunteers press release.

On a personal note I am absolutely gutted, there are so many good people who have given up a lot of their own time, money and resources to help restore this historical site. Just as the possibility of getting the museum open was coming into grasp it feels like it might all be taken away by this news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-25124814http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-25124814

A large-scale cannabis farm has been found in an underground former nuclear bunker, West Mercia Police have said.

More than 400 cannabis plants with an estimated street value of £650,000 were seized from Drakelow Tunnels, near Kidderminster in Worcestershire.

A 45-year-old man has been arrested in a separate dawn raid in Kidderminster.

During the Cold War, the tunnels were designated as the potential site of a regional seat of government in the event of a nuclear attack.

Underground kitchen

The regional seat of government kitchen was used at the start of the Cold War

"[Officers] found a network of hydroponic equipment including heating, lighting and ventilation fans," said Supt Kevin Purcell.

The 285,000 sq ft network of tunnels stretches for about three miles and was used in World War Two to house a machine-part factory.

The tunnels were also used by the Ministry of Supply throughout the 1950s for storage, and much of the original equipment is still in place.

More recently plans were revealed by the site's owners to transform the tunnels into a museum. -BBC News

Drakelow Tunnels Volunteers Press Release:

The volunteers of Drakelow Tunnels are amazed at the information that has come to light. The volunteers have operated with preservation in mind and have had fundraising events such as open days to educate past and future generations on the WWII and Cold War history of the complex.

We have run work parties with volunteers to renovate the tunnels since March 2010 and were hopeful of getting planning application to turn the complex into a museum. We are now afraid all this hard work may come to nothing.

Until we find out more information we are unable to comment further.

Thanks for reading

Edited by bango

It was defo a bit shocking to hear the news yesterday and am sure once the investigation is completed all will ok for you guys.

Of course it raises allot of questions but im sure if reaches court and the CPS go for a prosecution all will be answered and you guys can get on with the great work you have been doing.

:thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Hooismans
      This is the old Fiat Trattori (tractor) factory, this factory was build in the 1960s and was abandoned in 1993 after Fiat bought the American company New Holland.
      Today the plant is in quite bad shape. There are no plans of reconverting the place.

[/url]
      This was the Design centre and the administration building.
      [/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Thanks for looking!
    • By KnM
      My first post to this forum.
      Today we visited a factory somewhere in Belgium. 
      It used to be a plant where soda but mostly water was bottled and then prepared for distribution to grocery stores in Belgium and surrounding countries. 
      The factory stopped being productive because of  a severe collapse of the roof. 
      We didn't have any hightech-equipment so I used my iPhone to make some pics. enjoy!

• By BritishRanger

My Visit -

This one was quite fun, although there is not many items left to see, its a great walk under Liverpool, with some nice stone and brickwork to see. We arrived quite early, and had absolutely no trouble finding and getting into the tunnel, the rest is best seen in pictures!

• By bmxer7777
      Hey Everyone! Welcome to my very first Urbex..! My group and I went to these houses south of Atlanta that have been abandoned for a few years now. Unfortunately, they are going to be torn down soon, so anyone who may want to visit them, DM me ASAP! Anyway, The first house we went to was just empty and peaceful. The second house, not so much... We found graffiti telling us to leave; we should have listened. We stepped into the garage of the house and saw blood on the floor, and drag marks leading to the attic. Not wanting to see a dead body, we left. We're planning on going back to the attic soon in daylight. The third house was almost worse. We found some evidence that a serious crime may have happened there, as well as a swastika and a Confederate flag. We left without exploring too much of that house. On our way out, one of my friends looked back at the top floor of the house and saw someone in the window. We left quickly. I hope you guys like the pictures, some of them may be NSFW, the swastika. Otherwise, have a great day everyone! Be safe!
      Link to Google Drive with all pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/12y4aEjooNREuzS5ZMrjztkwrx2gIiinc

• By Baldrickthecunning
      This was an odd explore, from the front of the building it looked like a standard office block but the inside told a different story.
      First off, some fairly standard looking CNC machines - but the further in we ventured the clearer it became. There was an entire production line left in situ for making alloy wheels!
      Each stage of the build process had its own machining area and the wheels were transported from one area to the next on a huge conveyor system - everything from milling, shot blasting, heat treatment, lacquering and pressure testing. Many of the machines had lot numbers attached and it was my guess that it wouldn't be long before everything including an immaculate rack of machine tools were auctioned off.
      We gradually made our way to the front of the building, where the only notable room was a small laboratory - still half equipped. An enjoyable explore and a good end to the day.
      Visited with Jaff Fox and thanks to H for his info.

This sign, roughly translated means: food and drink are strictly prohibited in the lacquer plant.

Mr. B!