bango

Drakelow Tunnels Houses 'Drug Factory'

Hi guys, as some of you might now I am a volunteer worker at Drakelow so I thought I would give you the information first along our volunteers press release.

On a personal note I am absolutely gutted, there are so many good people who have given up a lot of their own time, money and resources to help restore this historical site. Just as the possibility of getting the museum open was coming into grasp it feels like it might all be taken away by this news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-25124814http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-25124814

A large-scale cannabis farm has been found in an underground former nuclear bunker, West Mercia Police have said.

More than 400 cannabis plants with an estimated street value of £650,000 were seized from Drakelow Tunnels, near Kidderminster in Worcestershire.

A 45-year-old man has been arrested in a separate dawn raid in Kidderminster.

During the Cold War, the tunnels were designated as the potential site of a regional seat of government in the event of a nuclear attack.

Underground kitchen

The regional seat of government kitchen was used at the start of the Cold War

"[Officers] found a network of hydroponic equipment including heating, lighting and ventilation fans," said Supt Kevin Purcell.

The 285,000 sq ft network of tunnels stretches for about three miles and was used in World War Two to house a machine-part factory.

The tunnels were also used by the Ministry of Supply throughout the 1950s for storage, and much of the original equipment is still in place.

More recently plans were revealed by the site's owners to transform the tunnels into a museum. -BBC News

Drakelow Tunnels Volunteers Press Release:

The volunteers of Drakelow Tunnels are amazed at the information that has come to light. The volunteers have operated with preservation in mind and have had fundraising events such as open days to educate past and future generations on the WWII and Cold War history of the complex.

We have run work parties with volunteers to renovate the tunnels since March 2010 and were hopeful of getting planning application to turn the complex into a museum. We are now afraid all this hard work may come to nothing.

Until we find out more information we are unable to comment further.

Thanks for reading

Edited by bango

It was defo a bit shocking to hear the news yesterday and am sure once the investigation is completed all will ok for you guys.

Of course it raises allot of questions but im sure if reaches court and the CPS go for a prosecution all will be answered and you guys can get on with the great work you have been doing.

:thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rob Adventures
      Hello everyone. I was refereed to join the forum from the Facebook group. Im from Ohio, USA and have followed urban exploring for a while. Recently I started getting out and doing it myself. I mainly film videos and post them on youtube but I also take pictures when I'm scouting new areas. I was out the other day scouting an area and took some pictures. I'm looking forward to going back.

• By MiaroDigital
      A abandoned mine in Czech...
      2 visit's

The Moos Factory 01 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory 02 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory 03 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory 04 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory 05 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

revisit:

The Moos Factory revisit 01 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory revisit 02 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory revisit 03 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory revisit 04 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory revisit 05 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory revisit 06 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

The Moos Factory revisit 07 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr
    • By Space Invader
      visited with ...
      wevsky, fortknoxo,one flew east ,maniac and chewbacca
      a little history...
      This is the Eastern end of a large tunnel complex in Snargate Street, which began as separate tunnels but were linked during WW2 for use as air raid shelters. The main part of this section is the 900ft long Cowgate Tunnel which connected Snargate Street with Durham Hill. Unfortunately, this tunnel was penetrated by a shell during WW2 which resulted in the death of 63-year old Mrs. Patience Ransley, who was sheltering inside at the time. The tunnel is blocked at the point of the shell penetration, which occured within the grounds of Cowgate Cemetery on the surface. It is however possible to go much further than the blockage shown on the plan below, but conditions are poor due to roof falls and rotten timber props. Due to revelopment of the Durham Hill area, the entrance at that end seems to have vanished. The passage going West from the main entrance tunnel passes a vent shaft and kiln, and was originally known as 'Soldiers' Home Caves', due to them being behind the old Soliders' Home.
      on with the pics ...

some graffiti

Patience Ransley shoe

Thanks for looking
    • By silverainbow
      A brief explore from a month or so ago, visited with Space Invader, Obscurity and Wevsky, I have to admit that pics arent the best but its the taking part that counts
      Now for a brief bit of history borrowed from Sub Brit
      These tunnels, in the former Winchelsea Quarry, were used during WW2 as air raid shelters. They were constructed in the form of four parallel corridors with two intersecting passages. There were four original entrances in the quarry and two more which spur off from a junction at the opposite end of the tunnel.
      The quarry entrances were used as workshops by the company which owned the tunnels and the other two entrances have been sealed. One was located behind the Westmount building and the other was located in another chalk pit in Tower Hamlets, where the houses of 'The Abbots' road are now located. According to ARP records of the time, the shelter was designed to accommodate just over 1,000 people. Some wartime photos still remain of people sheltering in these tunnels as well as many dated etchings on the chalk walls
      Tunnel Plan

And now for the all important pics

An almost transparent Space Invader

Well worth a visit if ever you're passing, thanks for taking the time to look at my pics
    • By silverainbow
      Visited with Space Invader, Wevsky & Swamp Donkey
      A bit of History borrowed from "Sub Brit"
      This is the Eastern end of a large tunnel complex in Snargate Street, which began as separate tunnels but were linked during WW2 for use as air raid shelters. The main part of this section is the 900ft long Cowgate Tunnel which connected Snargate Street with Durham Hill. Unfortunately, this tunnel was penetrated by a shell during WW2 which resulted in the death of 63-year old Mrs. Patience Ransley, who was sheltering inside at the time. The tunnel is blocked at the point of the shell penetration, which occured within the grounds of Cowgate Cemetery on the surface. It is however possible to go much further than the blockage shown on the plan below, but conditions are poor due to roof falls and rotten timber props. Due to revelopment of the Durham Hill area, the entrance at that end seems to have vanished. The passage going West from the main entrance tunnel passes a vent shaft and kiln, and was originally known as 'Soldiers' Home Caves', due to them being behind the old Soliders' Home. The passage continues to a metal gate which blocks access to the next set of tunnels, which are known as 'Croucher's Tunnels'.
      On with some pics

Getting over the collapsed section was a bit of an experience to say the least and obviously couldnt go any further once we got to the part of the tunnel damaged by the bomb in WWII, still worth a look though, wish I had taken some pics of the lime kiln but theres always next time !