You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jones-y-gog
      First things first - this place is a death-trap. Simple as that. And it's quite likely to be worse now than it was when I went. But as I have a bit of an obsession about redundant old cinemas and theatres I left all common sense at the entrance.

The building still shows signs of its grand past but sadly any possibility of saving it looks pretty slim, although a Trust has been set up to try to preserve it and bring it back into use.

The four-storey building, designed by G. B. Rawcliffe, opened in 1894 as a music hall, before being converted to a cinema in 1938. It was last used as a bingo hall in 1995. 

^^^ Not sure about that!  
    • By Ferox
      I was not really sure what to expect from this place. It turned out to be a huge industrial playground with loads to have a look at. The size of this spot is awesome and I could not have asked for a better place to give my wide angle lens it's first outing. The workshops where another nice section in here. Some nice old machinery left to see. I really enjoyable explore this one and having a wide angle with me was a great bonus. Visited with non member Paul.
      HISTORY
      Pilkingtons was founded in 1826 as a partnership between members of the Pilkington and Greenall families, based in St Helens, Lancashire. It was originally named Greenall and Pilkington up until 1849. On the departure from the partnership of the last Greenall in 1845, the firm became known as Pilkington Brothers. 
      The Kirk Sandall site came into existence in the early 1920's when the firm looked to establish another site in the UK. Kirk Sandall was an ideal situation. Its excellent waterway and railway facilities were conveniently sited, especially since the Great Central Railway Company had doubled its line in the area. 
      After 76 year producing glass, the factory finally closed its doors in 2008. Not much has changed since it closed, most of it has remained abandoned but some of the site is used by Trackwork for training and storage.

Thanks For Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157684315511034/with/35460637944/
    • By The_Raw
      Designed by Architect to the Metropolitan Police, John Dixon Butler FRIBA, the Greenwich Magistrates’ Court opened in 1909 with an integral police station. The Symmetrical frontage is faced in Portland Stone in a free Classical style and features a central semi-circular tablet with Royal Coat of Arms, carved in stone by Lawrence Turner.

Inside, the entranceway leads to the former police station foyer which has a mosaic tiled floor with MP monogram (for Metropolitan Police) laid by Messrs Diespeker.  The foyer leads onto Court 1, the main courtroom which is toplit with a decorative plaster frieze around the light well and a monogram of Edward VII in plaster above the bench. The Courtroom has mostly original fittings and the bench is in a curved recess, up three steps. The court has its own custody suite. The suite consists of nine prison cells with associated facilities for booking in prisoners etc.

Visited here with @AndyK! a few months back. We sat on this for a while as we were hoping to return and see if we missed any bits but haven't got around to it. Anyway, I think we saw all the best bits. Here are some of my photos to begin with, and a few taken by Andy at the end. I also poached the history from his website report, so cheers for that!   

A few shots of the custody suite from Andy

Thanks for looking  
    • By Gangeox
      Walton Mill also known as 'Bump' Mill was built in the 1770's by partners Hewitt (a linen and woollen draper) and Bunting
      (a mercer and draper and later a tallow chandler. "Bump" refers to cheap cotton that was manufactured there in the 1790's.
      I read somewhere, that dressings for the Crimea War were manufactured here.

• By coolboyslim
      Visited with @stranton And @ACID- REFLUX. Thx to them both for the great time had here.
      Anyways on with the report and pics
      History
      Inhospitable
      Inhospitable is a 700yd culvert which carries the moss brook beneath Collyhurst,
      the infall consists of a 15ft brick arch
      this changes too a10ft brick arch which continues towards the outfall
      which consists of a 7ft brick pipe built 8ft up in a retaining wall.
      Halfway through the culvert theres an overflow chamber with a manual operated penstock,
      once the flow gets too strong the penstock drops blocking the culvert
      this causes the brook too divert along the works
      something which seldon occurs.
      the Works
      the Works is a 700yd overflow which passes alongside and below Inhospitable,
      consists of a 10ft red and black brick pipe.
      This exits the overflow chamber by droping down 2 sets of steps the latter been steep,
      once at the bottom you are at least 70ft below the surface.
      Both the moss brook and the Works discharge too the Irk,
      (one of Manchesters 2 secondary waterways).

Hope you all enjoy thx for looking..