hamtagger

Hello from a potato-muncher living in Lincoln

Just thought i would pop in here to introduce myself before i begin spamming your lovely reports :D

I'm currently living in the lincoln area (as the title hints towards hah). I've always been into the exploring side but usually just for the fun of it, the interest in old buildings, but sometimes just plain old nosey-ness. In the last year i've become more and interested in the photography side of it so on my last few explores i took my new camera and grabbed some pics.

Still the amateur photographer/pic-taker, but i love exploring new places :Weapon3:. Lincolnshire is pretty rich in locations so looking forward to this summers expeds! I'll spend a while familiarising myself with the layout of the forums, then i'll chuck up a few reports to see what ya's think!

My favourite colour is black, my shoe size is 8 3/4, and i once ran into a really clean window in KFC thinking is was an entrance. :?

Cheers for reading my blurb :unfair:

Superb intro! Welcome to OS, if you need any help round the forum just give one of us a shout, looking forward to seeing some of your reports :)

Welcome to OS mate, my favorite colour is black too, I only wear black generally although I don;t have a Johnny Cash fetish

Superb intro! Welcome to OS, if you need any help round the forum just give one of us a shout, looking forward to seeing some of your reports :)

Hi Lara, thanks for the warm welcome. And cheers, if i get a bit lost i definitely will! Once i get my dropbox in some sort of order i'll chuck a report up to get me going. Have a nice weekend! :beer:

Welcome to OS mate, my favorite colour is black too, I only wear black generally although I don;t have a Johnny Cash fetish

Thanks nelly, and cheers for the welcome and putting "ring of fire" into my head hahah :eek:

Ey up and welcome to OS, be great to see what you get up to :) And black is the way forward indeed!

Ey up! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Britain's Decays

Fantastic place to explore, very interesting. Those dishes are absolutely massive! Details on history coming soon...
    • By Britain's Decays

A bit of a pain in the back side to get in this one, they have really made an effort with those fences! There was no security though, once you find a way past the doubled up security fences it's smooth sailing. We did find one particular part of this place rather creepy, there is a rotten bed in a dark basement that was quite eerie and had a different feel than the rest of the decaying building. More information will follow on our website in a day or so.
    • By Mrbeardo
      Oldish report from November last year. Got caught by some contractors in here and they weren't best pleased.
      History:
      St John’s Asylum, Lincolnshire in the East of England was built 1852. The building was then known as Lindsey & Holland Counties & Lincoln & District Lunatic Asylum. The Asylum has also been known over the years as Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum and Bracebridge Heath Asylum. Finally it was given the name St John’s during the early 1960’s
      It was originally built to house just 250 patients but by 1902 the asylum grounds covered 120 acres. The grounds of the asylum were cultivated by the inmates where they grew their own vegetables. Within the grounds was a cemetery for the hospital which covered 1.5 acres. St John’s also had its own mortuary chapel.
      After the outbreak of World War II during 1940, the patients were transferred to other nearby establishments as the hospital was turned into an emergency hospital.
      In 1948 the administration of the hospital was passed to the National Health Service
      The asylum finally closed its doors during December 1989 with all the patients being transferred to other nearby hospitals.
      The site was then sold to developers who have converted a lot of the site into new housing.
      All that now remains is the main asylum buildings which are Grade II listed and cannot be demolished. However work is now under way to convert the main buildings into flats.

• By Gangeox
      Ok peep's moving away from the schools for a while, we had a mooch around this place and to say it was dirty would be an understatement
      An iron foundry in North Hykeham, with a production capacity of approximately 80,000 tonnes of castings annually, they manufactured high quality iron casting components in nodular and grey iron for the international automotive, tractor and construction machinery industries.
      It closed in 2007

• By hamtagger
      Canwick Cemetery Chapel

The Explore

One from March last year. This place has been derelict for a number of years and I had been keeping an eye on the place for probably 2 years previous to that as I regularly had to drive past the cemetery. Around once a month I made a point of stopping, pretending to visit some dead-relatives' grave and when no one was looking used to hop the heras and check the doors. About a billion times they were the same as always and I cursed the local kids and drunks for being crap, until finally one day myself and @Urbexbandoned were on a stroll through the cemetery and noticed some fresh beer cans near the heras and the door looking ever so slightly ajar.. winner!. Couldn't have a look that day as a groundsman was busy astro-turfing a rectangle nearby but returned the next day for a solo visit, then a few days later with @Urbexbandoned. I don't think the assumed-drunk had entered as I had to push a layer of pigeon shit about 2 inches thick behind the door. No-one had been in there for a very long time and also it was a shame the wooden staircase up the bell tower had completely rotted away and collapsed at some point. A few people visited in the coming few months, then I noticed the door got boarded up again.

The History

Pair of former chapels, now disused. 1856. By Michael Drury. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style with pointed arched windows and Geometrical tracery. EXTERIOR: chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, moulded eaves, coped gables with crosses and finials. North side has a central gable with an archway and shafts, flanked by single gabled buttresses. Beyond, single blocked 3-light windows. To left, the octagonal east chapel has angle buttresses and 3 gables, each with a 4-light window. Roof gablets. Fleche removed. To right, west chapel with apsidal end and buttresses, 3 bays, with six 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. In the north gable, a 5-light window. Square north-west tower, 3 stages, has to north a gabled doorway with shafts. Above, a trefoiled vescia piscis and to east, a 2-light window. Third stage has a foiled corbel table and to north, a rose window. On the other sides, 3-light windows. Spire removed. INTERIOR: east chapel has an arch braced conical roof with collars forming a corona. West chapel has a moulded stone arch to the apse, and an arch braced double purlin roof. Both chapels have foliage corbels - I have no idea what they are..

The Pictures

Coffin shape on the ceiling..

As always thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated