Jump to content
begg321

Asbestos on clothing?

Recommended Posts

I am just starting my urban exploring but am quite worried about the asbestos risk. I am going to get a respirator so I'm not worried about breathing it in, but what about my clothes? Do you have to throw out your clothes every time you go to a location that has asbestos? If not, doesn't it stick on your clothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It totally depends on the type of place you're visiting and what sort of asbestos. The most common white asbestos is almost totally harmless if it is undisturbed, but where it's been broken up you want to be careful. But as long as you don't eat it you won't suddenly keel over from a short period of exposure to white asbestos in a well ventilated area. Blue and brown asbestos is the really nasty stuff but a lot lot rarer to find in buildings. And don't forget asbestos was illegal in buildings built after 1980.

A respirator is a good idea for some places but don't get too bogged down in worry about the asbestos thing, I've been exploring for a number of years without one the majority of the time and to actually see broken up asbestos in places is pretty rare, it's mostly visible down in old service tunnels and underground areas. If you see something that looks like it might be broken up asbestos of course use caution but just get out and enjoy yourself :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only mirror what mookster says..ive crawled through service tunnels full of the stuff,dont disturb it or the such like and with common sense you will be fine,cloathing wise unless you are crawling literally thru broken asbestos boards or something i wouldnt worry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old West Park tunnels were the worst I ever did! Luckily it was so damp down there the chances of loose fibres floating around were minimal. To be honest you need to be more worried about pigeon shit and black mould, that stuff can be really nasty so worth keeping a good quality mask on you just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the first half of the twentieth century, asbestos cement was widely used for construction. In many respects, it was the ideal building material: strong, fireproof, and a good insulator. Untold numbers of homes, schools, office buildings, naval ships, and other structures were built with linings of asbestos.

After World War II (1939–45), scientists discovered that asbestos fibers can cause a variety of respiratory disorders in humans, such as lung cancer and asbestosis, a pneumonia-like condition. Discovering the relationship between asbestos and these conditions took a long time; the disorders commonly do not appear until 20 years or more after a person is exposed to asbestos.

Individuals most at risk for asbestos-related problems are those continually exposed to the mineral fibers. This includes those who work in asbestos mining and processing as well as those who use the product in some other manufacturing line, as in the production of brake linings. Over the past two decades, massive efforts have been made to remove asbestos-based materials from buildings where they are especially likely to pose health risks, as in school buildings and public auditoriums. Recent critics of asbestos removal maintain that—if not done properly—the removal process actually intensifies the problem by spreading more asbestos fibers into the air.

Read more: http://www.scienceclarified.com/Al-As/Asbestos.html#ixzz3CztqLuUF

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/asbestos/manage/wearing-ppe.htm

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/asbestos/homeowner/ppe.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • By Judderman62


      Visited with Zero81 and Fragglehunter
      Was a first visit for the other guys and a re-visit for me having made
      a VERY brief solo visit a little while back. Was extremely shocked just how much more
      wrecked it is since my last visit as it wasn't that long ago. It is VERY fooked indeed.
      I was also surprised at how much asbestos there is in the place ...yes I know that's
      what they made there , but there is one part where there are a lot of plastic bags
      containing raw asbestos fibre, bags of asbestos waste and asbestos fibre just lying on
      the floor - if you're going to go here I'd strongly recommend taking a P3 rated mask.
      The history has been done to death on other reports so I wont repeat it here.
      On with the pics


















      The bags you see at the bottom of the frame on the image below were
      bags of raw asbestos fibre.










    • By he who must rome
      likin your tunnelz...............cheers for posting too
    • By superwide
      Looks like that has seen some better days.
×