The_Raw

UK Crookham Court School - Thatcham, Berkshire - May 2014

Crookham Court stands on the former site of Crookham manor house, built around the start of 14th century and destroyed in 1543, and subsequently Crookham House which was demolished around 1850. The construction of the current building started around this time and continued in two more phases over the next fifty years. It served several purposes over the years such as a manor house, a junior school and a school for children of people serving at Greenham Common. It was abandoned for some time after the US Air Force left the area and purchased in 1961 when it was used as a boarding school until 1990, after which point it was apparently used as apartments (although this isn’t too obvious from looking at the place) and has been abandoned since 2007.

In 1988 there was a well-publicised case of child abuse by several members of staff which was covered on Esther Rantzen’s show That’s Life. This had apparently been going on for thirty years but it was only when the headmaster Mr. Gold joined the school in 1987 that it was discovered and reported. Three were convicted, including the principal who was the owner of the building. Over twenty years later the teacher who had been set free was also convicted when another victim came forward; he has tried appealing but been denied. Currently another of the old teachers is facing 57 charges relating to sex abuse, 20 of those charges are from his time at Crookham Court.

It's a shame that this beautiful building has such a sordid history from recent years, it makes you feel a little uneasy knowing what went on in there. At least some justice has been carried out though and hopefully there will be more convictions to come. I visited with bassboyjoe who suggested the trip in the first place and did all the driving, top man. We turned up expecting to only have access to the outer buildings so we were well chuffed to find a way into the main bit, everything was accessible apart from the library room. That hall is just stunning, you could take pics in there all day long, there's a lot of other cool stuff to see all over the building too. Thanks to Joe for making this trip happen, I'd say a bit more if a didn't have a hangover the size of China, hope you enjoy my piccies!

14261624743_4ebbc7a1da_b.jpg

14236235771_9188dc752a_b.jpg

14052943249_6d778593c3_b.jpg

14239534725_0e1714b7d4_b.jpg

14239525675_9814080607_b.jpg

14259970903_515e63b622_b.jpg

14239487034_7baafbf9f0_b.jpg

14239510994_a5f635eeaa_b.jpg

14237672501_3a853c1b44_b.jpg

14217813956_f76befa71b_b.jpg

14238710302_b96181e652_b.jpg

14054469228_7bd0eeac4d_b.jpg

14217800326_6a9e35cceb_b.jpg

14239571345_2762f6eb20_b.jpg

14240829084_224090e681_b.jpg

14238863612_4252d448c2_b.jpg

14217955276_30b6695fc7_b.jpg

14054960407_5b2da144db_b.jpg

14054905027_9d268611e8_b.jpg

14054880819_a54a17c0f8_b.jpg

14054906160_81431a0ba5_b.jpg

14261748903_c95ea5557d_b.jpg

14238180741_93d6e7aedb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Thanks guys, yeah the place has those childish tags all over the place now which is a shame, absolute morons....

Cheers, it's been off the map for a while so good to put it back on there for anyone who has't seen it before :thumb

Bath gone, tv's gone, granny mobile gone, organ pipes gone !, in the space of about 3 months, such a shame !!. nice report though man

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SuZyQue
      This was on the way back from the garden centre, I persuaded my mate to stop by and after climbing through brambles, mud etc we were in, these are fantastic up close, enjoy the pics.
      This was taken from the car on the way there.

Finally they came into view after a muddy and long walk.

Up close wow.

Inside some control room.

My mate standing next to one of those towers, its huge.

A old helicopter, this place was used for paintballing.

The helicopter controls.

Couldn't resist a pic of this on the way in, thats all of the pics I got as my battery died on me, enjoy the pics, it was fun with a nice pub lunch and drink afterwards, got absolutely filthy but great fun.

• By SuZyQue
      I visited this place last year with my daughter whilst visiting relatives, entrance was comical, borrowed a search blaster as we weren't prepared, had a great time, This was still there last time I looked it's in Coleshill, Warwickshire. Enjoy the pics.
      The main entrance.

The flooded boiler house.

The kitchen.

The hall

This ornate work was all around the hall, fantastic.

The obligatory radiator pic.

One of the many corridors.

Some fancy artwork.

I now know that this is a training aid, but it scared the life out of me in the dark.

Someone left there boots behind.

Some of the toys etc and there were lots of books under the stage.

Lovely wooden doors into the hall.

These made me crack up.

Peeling paint.

It was a great day out with Miss CSI, well worth a visit if you are nearby.
    • By SuZyQue
      Visited this place with Lynton, Miss CSI, and SteAlTh last year, it has now been sealed up, but a interesting little explore, Enjoy the pics.My camera wasn't the best then, had a cheap old argos number, the others have better ones.
      The tiny hole we squeezed through.

Lots of old bottles and rubbish lying about, we think that when pleasurama was on the site they used to put some of there stuff inside this place.

Lots of carvings in the chalk.

This was a nice easy explore.
    • By SuZyQue
      This was one of the first explores I did, visited with StEaLtH AND Cavking, the floors were well dodgy and death traps in places, I've got a soft spot for this place, and I actually got some nice pics, anyway enough said, on with the pics.
      One of the corridors, we didn't get any pics of the front of this place as security was very tight and if I remember there hut was right at the front of the building.

The main hall. The architecture and ceiling were fantastic, very sad that it has got into this state, the architect whose name escapes me designed alot of the asylums in the uk.

The stage at the back of the hall.

Peeling paint.

I just luv this coloured broken glass.

Whats left of the old hairdressers.

A great explore, this place is how I got my exploring jeans as I ripped them on a fence, so have worn them ever since. Enjoy the pics.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!