sj9966

UK A former Catholic Church, the North, June 2014

This Catholic church was completed in 1853 in what was originally quite a heavily populated area however due to the war damage and continuing slum clearances in the post war the church lost much of its congregation as the district was rebuilt as a business area. In 1998 it finally closed when a new replacement church was built.

Upon arriving there was a bloke onsite painting new white lines on the floor of the car park, after a brief exchange of words it turned out he was the caretaker of the site and he had no objections in letting us in through the front door!

A real nice bloke who even gave us each a book about the place as we were leaving!

IMG_0304_zps16704cba.jpg

Church_zpsc4fa9f10.jpg

IMG_0279_zpsd1e3261d.jpg

IMG_0409_zps1881d780.jpg

IMG_0401_zpsc1a6c938.jpg

IMG_0284_zps9c606368.jpg

IMG_0269_zps9bec806c.jpg

IMG_0431_zps85ca3a97.jpg

Stonework_zps2b07ed73.jpg

Up_zpsee9a9656.jpg

IMG_0379_zps4b7f00fc.jpg

Shame to see it in such a mess but there's still a lot of beautiful features left behind, you've taken some fantastic shots! Don't think I've seen the confession booths in previous reports.... Job well done mate :thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Maniac
      As part of the 'stop talking about doing stuff, and actually go and do it' initiative, I Visited this place with DesertionPhotography.
      Atkinson Morley Hospital was established on its present site in 1869 and closed in 2003. It was noteable as being the first place in the UK to have a CT scanner installed in 1972, however that scanner is not one of the one's you can see there today; they are much more modern. In its day, Atkinson Morely was one of the most advanced brain surgery centres in the world.
      Interesting explore this one, as some of the place is quite trashed then other areas just round the corner are still mint.
      1. Your basic generic hospital corridor

5. Operating theatre control board

6. CT Scanner number 1.

7. And control room for it.

8. Buttons

9.Little bit of kit left in the X-Ray room.

10. X-Ray developing department (I think)

11. CT Scanner number 2

13. And control room

14. Chapel, later used as a lecture theatre. Note security are using this for storing their boarding, tools and stepladders - they are based very close to this room.

15. The wards are stripped bare.

Thanks for looking!
      Maniac
    • By Maniac
      Might as well stick these up. Leybourne grange is a shadow of it's former self, actually to be blunt it's f**ked. There's still however a few bits and pieces to be seen. The Manor house is in a much worse state than I thought, and I think it's days are numbered, as with the rest of the complex it's just been left to decay.
      Just had a poke around he biggest accomodation block, and the manor house. There's a lot of the other villas still on site, but it didn't seem worth the effort to get inside them.

6. Staircase is about the only part of the main building worth photographing. The rest is a soggy mess of rotton wood, and it smells baaaad!

7. In the basement areas

Thanks for Looking!
      M
    • By Maniac
      I wasn't going to bother with a report, but I think I had just about enough photos to make it worthwhile, so may as well. Being very bored at the weekend, myself, Frosty and Obscurity decided to take ourselves off here to have a looksie. It was also the first exploring outing of the new car, the first of many I'm sure!
      Our visit to this place was cut short by Mr security guard together with dog handler and badly trained dog, and a visit from the police who were very professional and just let us on our way. Becasue of this minor setback we only got to see inside the big main hospital building and didn't get to see the mortuary or other parts of the complex like we were hoping. However Harold Wood is more than a mortuary (even if the rest of it is quite knackered.)
      Harold wood hospital closed its doors in 2006, and plans were submitted for housing. As far as I can work out these plans are being objected to by local residents resulting in a long drawn out process and leaving the site in limbo at the moment.
      This place is used by Air Soft players, there were thousands of pellets everywhere inside the place, and players on another part of the site when we were in the building. It's a good job we exited that building when we did, as it was their next playing area and that could have hurt lots!
      We managed precisely one building before being busted, although it is the biggest one it is the least interesting.
      Anyway, have some pics!
      1. Outside

2. Operating Theatres

4. Corridors etc.

9. There are some bits and pieces left.

15. Mint Bathroom

16. Very Pink.

thanks for looking!
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      The Margate caves are situated at one end of Northdown Road in Margate, and run for a reasonable distance underneath the site of a one time vicarage and church, both of which were destroyed in WWII - and the site is now a car park. Origenally they are thought to have started out as a denehole, but have had many uses in their past including a prison with dungeons that can be seen today, a secret place of workship buring times of religious persecution, and as a hideout and storage for smugglers with passeges to and from the sea.
      The caves fell out of use at some point and got forgotten about until somewhere near the end of the 18th Century, a man named Francais Forster built a large house called Northumberland House, and around 1798 his gardener re-discovered the caves by accidently digging into them. A private entrance into the caves was made, and it was during this time that most of the murals and paintings you can see in the caves today were created. According to local history, the paintings were all done by a local artist named Brazier, who unfortunitely destroyed many interesting aspects of the caves contruction when the walls were smoothed over to create a surface for his work.
      In 1914 a new entrance was cut from the cellar of the vicarage, which is the entrance that is still used today. In the making of this entrance, one of the murals (The Thanet Hunt) was destroyed.
      The Caves were opened as a tourist attraction, but were eventually closed to the public in 2003 amid 'safety concerns' and the council has put forward plans to have them filled in and housing built on the land above on more than one occassion. Each time it's been blocked and thus they now sit there today doing nothing. (Quite honestly there's nothing unsafe about them they just need cleaning up a bit, but of course caves don't really make councils any money, but land for housing does! )
      There have been proposals recently to re-open the caves as part of the Margate Regenration scheme, but as far as I know at the moment no real progress has been made on this.
      Explored with Fortknox0, Obscurity, Frosty, Gizmo and Townie.

Thank for Looking!
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      I wanted to go here more for personal reasons than anything else. My mum grew up in Chelmsford, and she and her mum and a lot of their friends all worked for Marconi at different times.
      Well what can I say it sure is a mess - pikeys and graffiti artists have been at play here. Having said that if you move away from the factory floor areas and into the other areas, it's not actually too bad. It's totally stripped, hardly anything to show what it's purpose was which is a shame.
      Also it's huge - it really is a pretty big site, you don't realise until you're inside. There must be 4 very large factory floors, with several other large spaces as well as a 5 story high admin block, which although very samey does get better as you go higher. Then there's the very oldest part right at the front.
      Visited on the spur of the moment with Obscurity and his misses - cheers for a good day people

It has to be said, this bit's pretty bland

Amazingly all the glass is intact, but the ceilings trashed.

Old meets new

There's a few bits left

I love the roof of this building.

Reception area was pretty good, shame it's no where near as neat as it was in earlier reports, but it could be worse.

The main lobby of the oldest part.

Although it was trashed in parts, I thought it was a pretty good - it would have been fantastic to have seen it in it's prime.
      Maniac.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!