Jump to content
Infraredd

France Atlantic wall (bits of) 2014

Recommended Posts

Atlantic wall.

Discovered these whilst driving west of Calais whilst waiting for my ferry back to the UK

No idea what this used to be - there are a few of these in the landscape & most have been taken over by the local farmers.

15076410597_cf12d0144b_c.jpgOpen bunker 01 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076411888_9159cdf53a_c.jpgOpen bunker 02 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076279370_e507e56124_c.jpgOpen bunker 03 inside by Infraredd, on Flickr

This is also part of the same defensive structure

15259880301_056211da78_c.jpgdb 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076405608_49c349b877_c.jpgdb 3 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076406588_1302e08165_c.jpgdb 4 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076407638_8b97a00203_c.jpgdb 6 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076274740_ab5a2c3552_c.jpgdb 7 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15262974365_cc522f82f3_c.jpgdb 8 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076225879_9c9b5a685f_c.jpgdb 10 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076409527_5952fcdf0e_c.jpgdb 11 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15259886231_6913de05bb_c.jpgdb 12 by Infraredd, on Flickr

This is what a similar bunker looks like restored and museumefied

15239959266_48f909426b_c.jpgBatterie 01 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15259876131_001812bace_c.jpgBatterie 02 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15076399937_5257cbd67d_c.jpgBatterie 03 by Infraredd, on Flickr

15259877501_74a6268d0b_c.jpgBatterie 05 Armoury by Infraredd, on Flickr

15259879361_2611c3d014_c.jpgBatterie 09 Rail gun by Infraredd, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Edited by skeleton key

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • By cgeff
      Hi All,
       
      Some pictures of a mine. A spot quite dangerous but a great place !
       
      Hope you will like these pictures
       

       

       

       

    • By cgeff
      Hi all,
       
      Some pictures from "Bureau Central"
      Hope that you will like these ones
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By Andy
      Ouvrage Hobling is a lesser work (petit ouvrage) of the Maginot Line. Hobling was approved for construction by CORF (Commission d'Organisation des Régions Fortifiées), the Maginot Line's design and construction agency, in 1931 and became operational by 1935, at a cost of 14 million francs. The contractor was Gianotti of Nice. Hobling consists of four combat blocks. The blocks are linked by an underground gallery with barracks and a utility area (usine). The galleries are excavated at an average depth of up to 30 metres (98 ft).
      In June 1940 the garrison comprised 115 men and 4 officers of the 164th Fortress Infantry Regiment (RIF). The commanding officer was Captain Boileau. The Casernement de Férange provided peacetime above-ground barracks and support services to Hobling and other positions in the area. The units were under the umbrella of the 3rd Army, Army Group 2.
      Hobling played no significant role in either the Battle of France in 1940 or the Lorraine Campaign of 1944. After the Second World War it became part of the Mòle de Boulay, a strongpoint in the northeastern defenses against Soviet attack. Hobling remained under Army control until after 1971, when it was declassified and sold. Sold in 1975, Hobling has been partially stripped by salvagers and is abandoned. The salvage work stopped with the removal of all metals, including cloches and turrets, from two blocks. Hobling was the last ouvrage to be stripped.
       
      Visited with @The_Raw
       
       
      1

       
      2

       
      3

       
      4

       
      5

       
      6

       
      7

       
      8

       
      9

       
      10

       
      11

       
      12

       
       
    • By Sectionate
      Visited recently on my first foray over to the European side of life (can't believe it has taken so long). It was excellent / cold in the snow!
       
      History:
       
      On May 9, 1899, Kaiser Wilhelm II laid the first stone of Fort St. Blaise. Group Fortification Verdun group is built on top of two hills, it consists of two forts, the fort Sommy 30 ha in the south, and Fort Saint-Blaise 45 ha on the north. Group Fortification Verdun has four 150mm howitzers and six short 100mm guns. Fort St. Blaise was planned for 500 men and fort Sommy for 200 men. It could then receive two infantry companies, in addition to the gunners. St. Blaise, whose fortified barracks could receive 500 people, has 10 observation domes and 12 lookout posts.[4] The water tank's capacity was 1,300   m. 4 diesel engines of 25HP each, providing the energy necessary for Fort St. Blaise. The fort Sommy, including the fortified barracks, could accommodate 200 people, and has 6 observation domes and 8 lookouts. Its water tank could hold 600   m and it had 3 diesel engines of 20HP each, to provide the energy needed for its operation.[4] The coat of arms of Count of Haeseler is carved on the pediment of the door of the fort.
       
      It caused the Americans a huge headache in WW2 and proved its worth as a fortified location. Patton underestimated their strength immensely.
       
      Fort St. Blaise:
       
      The first of the two forts, complete with short 100mm funs in place showing battle damage. 
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       
      Collapsed structure / battle damage
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       
      The thing you don't realise until you get there is that the French Army have not removed any of the barbed wire entanglements, complete with foot spikes and in some places, unexploded ordnance 
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       
      Fort Sommy:
       
      The smaller outer fort, with a machine gun cupola and two turrets with guns and a tonne more battle damage, with craters and wall collapses all over the shop!
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       

      Untitled by Nick, on Flickr
       
       
       
       
    • By The_Raw
      Another visit from October with @Andy, @Maniacand@extreme_ironing. From seeing Andy's report I missed quite a few bits but you can't see everything unless you spend the whole day down there. Another epic bit of WW2 history and there's lots more out there.   
       
      Ouvrage Mont des Welches, a gros ouvrage of the Maginot Line fortifications, is part of the Fortified Sector of Boulay. It comprises two entrance blocks, one infantry block, one artillery block, one observation block and two combination blocks. The underground gallery system is compact, about 200 metres (660 ft) from end to end, and unlike larger ouvrages where the gallery system is linear in concept, the central portion of Mont des Welches is a dense network of tunnels crossing one another, housing the barracks and utility areas. The galleries are excavated at an average depth of up to 30 metres (98 ft). Unlike most gros ouvrages, its 60 cm internal rail network was not electrified, relying on human power to move the rail cars. Relatively small for a gros ouvrage, Mont des Welches saw a brief period of sharp action in June 1940, when German forces moving along the rear of the Maginot Line engaged the position without success. The manning of the ouvrage in June 1940 comprised 490 men and 17 officers of the 167th Fortress Infantry Regiment and the 151st Position Artillery Regiment. After modest renovations in the 1950s, it was abandoned in the 1970s.
       
       

       
       

       
       

       
       

       
       

       
       

       
       

       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      Bon journée  
×