slayaaaa

Geminid meteor shower, 12/12/2014

Just a heads up, saw this on Facebook. Looks like it could be a good opportunity if you fancy staying up.

Spectacular showers of up to 100 shooting stars a minute will light up the skies over Britain tonight – although they’ll peak at 2am, so viewers will have to stay up late and stay at least semi-sober.

Night owls will be rewarded with spectacular multi-coloured meteors which*might include occasional rapid bursts of two or three.

Sky watchers say that conditions are ‘perfect’ to view the Geminid meteor shower – as long as the sky isn’t clouded over.

The best time to see the meteors will be at around 2am when the ‘radiant’ – the point in the sky from which the meteors appear to originate – is almost overhead, next to the constellation Gemini.

Robin Scagell, vice-president of the Society for Popular Astronomy, said: ‘It should be a good display, weather permitting – we might not be far off perfect conditions in the UK.

‘The constellation is very high in the sky and most of the Moon will have gone away. An average of one comet a minute would be a good rate, and that’s possible. You might also get little bursts of activity with two or three together.’

Meteor showers occur when the Earth ploughs through clouds of cometary dust.

The tiny particles, some no bigger than a grain of sand, burn up brightly as they enter the atmosphere.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/12/thousands-of-multi-coloured-shooting-stars-to-light-up-sky-over-britain-tonight-4984391/?ito=facebook

If it's Irrelevant, please delete. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing a few other members' pics if anyone gives it a go! :)

Cheers,

I posted this on Facebook last night - Just saying - I poked my head out to take in some of this Geminid meteor shower and Im sorry but what a load of bollox as ive seen more life flying off my cigarette.

1a.jpg

I did see three in the end but saying that by that time I was veiwing through Beer Goggles lol :D

I posted this on Facebook last night - Just saying - I poked my head out to take in some of this Geminid meteor shower and Im sorry but what a load of bollox as ive seen more life flying off my cigarette.

1a.jpg

I did see three in the end but saying that by that time I was veiwing through Beer Goggles lol :D

Yeah man, saw about 5-6 maybe? I was hoping for something a bit more impressive :/