Morrisey

Coal & Fireclay - Feb 2015

The North West like many parts of the country is riddled with old coal mine workings, and in these parts if you do your research you can turn up some absolute gems.

This beaut is a fine example of a mid 19th Century coal and fire clay operation that would of fed into the insatiable demand for coal and fire clay during the height of the Industrial revolution.

As you move around the miles of workings and wagon roads, it's quite a humbling experience to think that where you are crawling over 200 years ago children as young as eight put in twelve hour shifts!!! In 1842 a royal commission investigated the employment of children in mines. The result was an act in the same year forbidding the employment of women and children underground.

9859994775_5621383087_c.jpg12056495633_c2319f005e_c.jpg

16278621590_1e00146dbe_c.jpg

16466048315_65df215934_c.jpg

16440050496_e3f83dc050_c.jpg

12056512403_3d14a4f710_c.jpg

Thats a belter find with cracking pics, i like that rock pattern on number 4 :thumb

Nowadays they should get the little rogue shits off the street corners and into the mines :D

This is an amazing place and would love to get back for a return visit, might even take my camera next time, epic lighting in your shots as usual :thumb

:comp:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By drinkinbud
      various places that skeleton key showed us so a bit pic heavy

• By silverainbow
      This shelter is at the site of Fan Bay Battery a WWII site originally comprising 3 x 6" guns with associated magazines, shelters, Plotting room, Admin and accomodation areas. Today only traces of the gun pits can be found underneath the undergrowth and all surface buildings have been demolished.
      How ever there are still extensive underground remains to be found at the site, the largest of which is the deep shelter, This was constructed in 1941 by No.172 Tunneling Coy Royal Engineers, it is still accessible as are the magazines.
      Visited with Dan H (Non Member) so on with a few Pics, Firstly the one of the Magazines

And now the deep shelter which in my Opinion is still more than worth a visit

Thats all Folks
    • By BadBatz
      Another one from our trip down South.
      More goodness revealed by SK!
      Here's some history.
      In 1864, Fr Herbert Vaughan, the later Cardinal Vaughan, gained approval to build a missionary seminary in England. On the 28th February 1871, after considerable difficulties had been overcome, the new seminary in Mill Hill, London, was built and occupied under the patrimony of St Joseph.
      Fr Vaughan's outstanding trust in St Joseph was thus rewarded. Mindful of St Joseph's finding of the stable for Mary when no other roof was to be found, Vaughan, on his first approach to the landowners of the new seminary, carried with him in a parcel a little statuette of St Joseph. When the landowner showed him the door after refusing Fr Vaughan's negotiations, Vaughan asked if he might leave the parcel in the house saying that he had some other business to attend to and he would collect it later in the day. When he returned, the landowner, Mr Druce, had changed his mind and the land was for sale.
      In 1871, this same statuette was solemnly installed in the simple little cloister of the seminary bearing the inscriptionOeconomus Domus Nostrae (Provider of our Home). The laying of the foundation stone of the seminary was a very public occasion on the 19th March 1871, the Feast of St Joseph, with the ceremony performed by Archbishop Manning. All that was required now was the funding to actually build and finish the church!
      The Holy Father had agreed that the Church would be the home of England's national shrine to St Joseph and fittingly, on the feast of St Joseph in 1873, the church was officially opened. The debts were finally paid off in March 1874, and the church was consecrated.
      By a special indult of Pope Pius IX, Cardinal Manning was permitted to crown the statue of St Joseph, which, with its altar, was declared the national shrine of Saint Joseph for England & Wales. This ceremony was performed in the presence of the hierarchy of England and Wales on 13th April 1874, and the statue became one of only a handful of crowned statues of St Joseph in the world.
      The once thriving English and European seminary of St Josephs in Mill Hill, has now given way to the reality that most of the Missionary Vocations are coming from Africa, only a few from England. The number of vocations from Africa is testimony to the great work and witness of the Mill Hill Missionary Fathers and the seminary of St Josephs. The Mill Hill site of St Joseph's closed on 1st July 2006. The new seminary of the Mill Hill fathers will be built where their vocations are strongest - in Africa.
      A big question mark hung over the shrine of St Joseph. The Mill Hill Fathers, eager to preserve their patrimony and to continue to foster devotion to the Patron not only of their order but also of the Church and of families, entrusted the shrine to the Benedictine monks of Farnborough. The shrine was transferred early in 2008 to the south transept of the Abbey Church where it continues to be a focus of devotion.

Mint corridoors.

And corners

Chapel, used as a film set so repainted in places.

Sun playing ball.

Looking like I'm from an 80's electro band.....(Thanks SK)

View from the top.

Frontage.

Rear view.
      Mint day all round!
    • By Banshee =}
      This is my first ever report so please bare with me
      Payed a visit to this beauty last Sunday ... after an hour of scawering the fence ... we were in
      Now for a bit history on the joint
      Colliery known as “The Dukeries� because of the number of stately homes in the area. The colliery was owned by the Bolsover Colliery Company and passed to the National Coal Board in 1947.
      The colliery was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or “Tophard�, as it known locally. In the 1950s the shafts were deepened to over 1000 yards (920 m) to exploit other seams.
      The colliery was closed by British Coal, as the National Coal Board had become, in 1993 and reopened by RJB Mining (now UK Coal) in April 1994, the licence to dig for coal being limited to the Yard seam which is located at a depth of 957 yards (870 m). The colliery was finally closed in April 2003.
      The headstocks of the colliery are regarded as the tallest in Europe and the third tallest in the world. They are Grade 2 Listed structures and can be seen all over the district. They are expensive to keep in good repair and there have been a number of appeals, as yet to no avail, to demolish them. But however the headstocks are nearly demolished now and no one knows what will happen in the future.
      Now the good bits ... hope you like

• By BadBatz
      When SK offered Andy and me a place to crash and the promise of some exploring fun, we jumped at the opportunity, one of the sites was this:
      Goodmayes Hospital, a Victorian former asylum, now not used for patients, rumored to be ready to be sold to developers to be made into yet more unafordable flats and prime for some fun. Up, down, round and round, some adrenalin and the fear of disappointment turned out good, not the usual sort of thing we do, but brilliant!
      Some pics.

SK doing his picture thing.

Room with a view

TOP TIP: Always stick fingers up when being photographed!

Don't go into the blue room!

Derpchair, a must!

Pepermint room!
      Confusion and amusement was the order of the day as SK told me to get my kit off (I suddenly worried what the cost of this tour was) but he only wanted me to set up a shot..... So I stole the idea and came up with this!

Andy doing his best impression of a dead drunk...........he only had to play dead!
      Anyway, there you go, brilliant explore, brilliant laugh and all thanks to a brilliant bloke..........ME for driving all day! LOL
      Cheers SK for a mint weekend.