Lazarus

Architectural Plans of St Joseph's Preston

Found some existing site plans of St Jo's that seem to match up with how it was when I went in with Urblex recently to take some photos. I've not seen them on here but if they are already on here just let me know and I'll take this down? :) Thought it would be a good idea to share them so everyone can use them. There in the form of a PDF so I'll post the link to it and you can do as you will with it. There is some waffle at the beginning describing planning permission that was granted in 2009 for "demolition of existing buildings, conversion of remaining buildings and erection of new three, four and five storey buildings to form 81 private dwellings and apartments." Yet nothing is being done about it currently.

This is the link to the PDF containing the existing plans:

http://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Regions/NorthWest/events/2013/ForgottenSpacesPreston/StJosephsOrphanage.pdf

This is further information on the planning application and the proposed plans:

http://publicaccess.preston.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=84504#sthash.rnieHNdZ.dpuf

Cheers folks:)

Lazarus

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By (76)
      St Clement's served as a mental hospital from 1937-2007, housed in old workhouse buildings constructed in the late 1800s. Here's some shots from South Block.

Coborn Ward for adolescants

Coborn Ward patients signing off

The morgue, which is to be retained and turned into a house if I recall correctly.

No slab, but a few bits and pieces remained here until someone booted the back gate in and everything of scrap value disappeared.

• By (76)
      Visited during a road trip across the US late last year. Getting in took plenty of energy and ingenuity but it was well worth the effort!

A couple of rooms hosted a very cool graveyard of technology

• By franconiangirl
      At first glance, the huge psychiatry campus with its historical buildings reminds you of certain pieces of literature or films. The early morning haze lies over the hospital grounds and really adds to that somewhat uncanny atmosphere. It´s still pretty early in the morning. Thus, we almost don´t meet any people. A situation, that changed completely on our way back, when we had to keep as insconspicious as possible among patients, nursing stuff and "normal" visitors. Yet, everything´s still pretty calm and we can enjoy the morning silence as we walk across the park-like grounds of the hospital, walking on paths which are bordered by beautiful flowers. Here and there, beautiful buildings appear. Everything occurs to be peaceful and neat. Almost a place for your well-being, at least form the perspective of a non-patient. Not before we pass by a building, fenced up by thick bars, reality sets in. As if by command, we can suddenly hear screams coming out of the building. 

The hospital is largely still active. Only a small part has been disused out of unknown reasons. It seems like time´s been standing still here for a pretty long time. Old benches would´ve been disappeared in a jungle-like thicket entirely, if it wasn´t for their bright red colours. Across an architectural more than beautiful patio we enter the building in front of us. Inside, particularly striking are the numerous toys scattred around the building. What exact purpose the old building served remains a mystery. 

• By LeeLewis82
      This is a repeated place and one that the whole of OS know.
      I stumbled across a old report on another forum and since havent seen many others post so here it is..
      Little Plumstead was home to Norfolk’s main “mental deficiency colony”. In recent years, it has closed down. Sadly a lot of the buildings have been demolished to make way for housing. Part of the site remains in use as a hospital. This section is due to close soon, with around 100 patients moving to community-based services.
      It has since demolished a lot of buildings including the pool leaving only 6 derelict standing buildings caked with decay and fragile floors.
      The hall itself attracts a lot of explorers and ghost hunters and has seen fire damage and metal thievery as well as tagger.

The upstairs of all the buildings in which extensive decay can be seen, warped floors, carpet going down into the non exsistant rafters and debris and scattered paper everywhere plus that lovely smell of dampness and black mould that we all love... masks are needed although ive never worn one.

The inside of the hall is to me like a chateu whilst ive only ever seen one on groups or forums its very simliar with its arch designs and colours.

Every time i have gained access and seen this place, it draws me in i cant explain the feel in the hall but its almost like you are being watched and waiting for a zombie to smash through a door and come and bite you.
      There is so much decay the floors upstairs are gone in some areas and in others there simply is no floor at all, Trollys left, files scattered, medical reports everywhere, spend needles and some aperatus is left.

Massive rooms for treatment as seen from very old pictures of the place, The asylum itself seemed to have a ward for un married women who were pregnant and were made to be treated as the public rejected them (Information to be confirmed), However no evidence of this has been seen.

It has since been boarded up and checked on at regular intervals due to the amount of breaking in the building's recieve with thick ply and mastic being placed and security screws everywhere entrance other than the local kids breaking in is almost impossible to gain entry at least without doing it the naughty way which i personally dont agree with.

The once grand staircase now completely trashed

Rooftop views (Very fragile lead roof)

Finally, im a celebrity nutter GET ME OUTTA HERE haha

Hopefully if and when there is a entry point again we will be able to obtain more detailled pictures but until then,,,,
      Enjoy.
    • By Lavino
      I no what your all thinking.. Not another Denbigh report this place has been done so many times I've even been there a few times myself but here goes anyway.. It is in quite a bad way been smashed to pieces and full off graff even tho elwyn does try his best to keep people out. Or in some cases he attracts people there. I have seen him on two occasions I've visited but he didn't see me haha..
      Collapsed roofs, mangled cages and sunken floors - these are the eerie pictures taken inside an abandoned psychiatric hospital where patients were once locked up and given lobotomies.
      The abandoned site in north Wales, known as Denbigh Asylum, has been partially devastated by fire while there are still cages intact that were used to prevent patients escaping from their designated areas.
      More than 20 patients were selected for prefrontal lobotomy treatments between 1942 and 1944 at the hospital, with one patient dying from the controversial procedure.
      Lobotomies, which consisted of the removal of parts of the brain, began to be routinely carried out in the 1930s as a supposed treatment for those considered insane - but the barbaric practice was stopped two decades later with the introduction of antipsychotic medicines.
      The once eloquent and imposing building was built in 1848 and designed by architect Thomas Full James. It was designated for closure by MP Enoch Powell in 1960 and was finally shut for good in 1995.
      Photographer Mathew Growcoot described the scene: 'It was by far the creepiest place I have ever been into. There were so many strange noises emanating from the buildings that I really didn't want to wander too far from my companion.
      'At one point we both heard what sounded like a groan and just stopped and stared at each other. I don't believe in ghosts but I didn't want to hang around.'
      The site has been subject to a compulsory purchase order by Denbighshire council. But that is being appealed by the site's current owners. The front facade is Grade II listed and a proposal to build homes around the entrance has been put forward. However, the restoration cost is set to be close to a million pounds.
      Mr Growcoot added: 'It was in a really poor state. It looked as thought a bomb had tore through the site, everything was damaged. There was nothing to stop you entering the site and as a result the vandalism and fire damage was plain to see.
      'I wonder how far a million pounds would go to restoring the hospital. Seems as though it would make more sense to flatten the site and start over.'

Me spying on elwyn as he gets his dogs out..

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!