Landie_Man

Cwm Coke Cokeworks, Beddau, South Wales – March 2015

Cwm Coke Cokeworks, Beddlau, South Wales – March 2015

Wow, this is one I have wanted to do for years and finally I got to see it. Me and Southside Assassin loaded up the car and headed off for a mixed weekend away in Wales.

After taking a wrong turn and ending 20 miles too far from the location, we headed in the RIGHT direction and arrived on site mid morning.

The site is huge and we also met up with Hamtagger and Geoff later on. Got some amazing photos and videos here and thought we would try our luck on the elevators. I would try this on a more still day and obviously tread carefully as you ascend, looking at any movements. They seemed pretty solid on our visit.

The trip was sadly cut short when one of our groups was spotted while snapping an external, meaning we covered the whole site but not the main room that we had saved till last 

A brief paragraph about Coke from wiki:

Coke is a fuel with few impurities and a high carbon content, usually made from coal. It is the solid carbonaceous material derived from destructive distillation of low-ash, low-sulfur bituminous coal. Cokes made from coal are grey, hard, and porous. While coke can be formed naturally, the commonly used form is man-made. The form known as petroleum coke, or pet coke, is derived from oil refinery coker units or other cracking processes.

History Borrowed and Adjusted from H1971’s 2013 report on 28 days

Dating back as far as 1909; when the Great Western Colliery Co. began sinking pits to provide steam coals for the Great Western Railway.

By 1914 coal was being produced on the Colliery, all of which came from two shafts named Magaret and Mildred, which were over 750 yards deep.

In 1928 Powell Duffryn Associated Colleries ltd took over the colliery which employed approximately 1000 men and continued production under this name until 1947; at which point, The National Coal Board was established to run the nationalised coal mining industry in Britain.

Between the years 1952 and 1960 the colliery underwent an extensive £9 million reconstruction scheme which included linking CWM to Coedely Tonyrefail.

By the 1970s around 1,500 men were producing 515,000 tons of coke on a yearly basis at CWM until the privatisation of the National Coal Board in 1986.

The Colliery ceased production in 1986 although there were an estimated 80 million tonnes of coal seams and reserves still there which were never mined.

CWM Coke was designed to centralise and maintain the production of South Wales foundry coke. The coal mined at CWM was suitable for foundry coke given its low sulphur content The coke works continued to run after the colliery’s 1986 closure and ceased production in June of 2002. The MASSIVE site has sat rotting ever since.

In true Landie Style I have SMASHED the 10 photo thing, I usually allow myself to creep up to 13 or so, but this site took my breath away. The decay just makes it, its amazing here. And hey we all have fast connections these days right?

16177767273_341b4df0cd_c.jpg

16797562045_3f3335f179_c.jpg

16610246038_002d7b0415_c.jpg

16175166084_95eb0f4f34_c.jpg

16590175737_9a42ca8204_c.jpg

16797518965_f049f0558a_c.jpg

16611656219_7af4af3d32_c.jpg

16796627851_496d959c6d_c.jpg

16611632809_ba3831710e_c.jpg

16797729935_237de08f60_c.jpg

16796588631_2c337866fd_c.jpg

16610041778_40bb58bfa2_c.jpg

16610306330_4d5e1b6d49_c.jpg

16175011334_ce6fb99f68_c.jpg

16611395479_4bc33f3fb5_c.jpg

16796745942_220abf45bc_c.jpg

16796559172_c9ce582678_c.jpg

16611474319_a273598868_c.jpg

16609984868_33a1ef69e8_c.jpg

16177672553_63fdd6c729_c.jpg

16175300254_4d774306cf_c.jpg

#-VIDEO- Climbing the Elevators

https://youtu.be/wJT2haGI0_U

Thanks again guys :-)

More (If you want!!) At:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/sets/72157651326002345/

Edited by Landie_Man

Thats a really nice post Harry and love the jaunty shots.

The vids Southside shot is a cracker.

Thanks for sharing bud :thumb

:comp:

I havent seen Southsides yet mate, where is it?

Nice set Landie :)

Just add, it was the supremely stealth one that appeared from nowhere and kept my leg warm for a few minutes until a not so hairy (or indeed large) two legged creature appeared.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ferox
      Had a look at this place while in the area back in March. The cars where the main attraction for me and they did not disappoint. Excellent examples of cars left to rust and rot until they finally fall in on themselves. The rest of the site consists of stripped huts with some being more interesting and less bear than others. A relaxed and pleasant half hour. Visited with non member Paul.
      HISTORY
      Known as Prisoner of war camp 116 was built in 1941 and located in Hatfield heath, just outside Bishops Stortford.
      The camp mainly housed Italians until about 1943-1944 where it held German and Austrian prisoners aswell. It was known at one point the camp housed 750 prisoners
      The prisoners had a relatively easy lifestyle here (Unlike the English prisoners in the German POW Camps) and could do voluntary work in the near by farm land in Harlow, they were picked up by the Land Girls and each prisoner had an allotted farm where they would work at.

Thanks For Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157678466406434/with/32853941973/
    • By Paradox
      So this was more of a cheeky little explore than anything planned in advance. A few of us were in the South of France for the Urban Explorer Wedding of the Year, an event that was most definitely epic and involved many many drunken selfies of at least half a dozen drunken explorers (including the Bride and Groom) but hey that's another story and not one for here
      The day after we left the Bride and Groom to do Honeymoony type things and took ourselves off on a trip to the local cokeworks/coal miney type place. It isn't epic or awesome but it was a pretty damn fine mooch to end the trip with.

It is a derpy derp and appears to be a popular place to burn out cars but worth a trip anyway

History is limited and in French so here is my best shot at something that vaguely resembles information but however doesn't mean a great deal to me and is probably worth skipping lol!....

The Sainte Marie open pit was a coal mine of the Mining Unit of Tam, H.B.C.M. (Houilleres du Bassin Centre Midi), in the south-western part of France, near Albi. In this area, a large amount of coal has been exploited by Underground mining. This pit was designed in order to exploit the coal remaining around the shaft (Saint Marie shaft) of an old Underground mine situated in the basin of Carmaux.The diameter at the top of the pit was 1200 metres and its final depth was expected to be 300 metres. The first 100 metres were composed of tertiary deposits (clay and sand) which covered the carboniferous formation. The average slope angle of the Tertiary is 37° (without benches) and in the Coal Measures, it was foreseen from 37° to 50° (with benches of 6 metres high) depending on the slope situaüon. At present üme, the depth of the mine is about 160 metres. 

Nine coal seams have been mined by Underground working between 1900 and 1984. Different methods have been used depending on the thickness, the dip of the layer and the dimension of the panel. In fact, panels were backfilled, caved or undermined long-wall. The basin of Carmaux is a large synclinal split by a dense network of faults which directions are approximately N 140 E. The dips and the dip directions which was left around the shaft, but, close to the slopes, begin the old exploited long walls. These long walls are at different topographic levels due to the particular structure and have been exploited in panels lined by the faults odented approximately N140.

The first design of the open pit was done by a Standard geotechnical survey; this one has taken into account the geomechanical, hydrogeological, structural Parameters äs well äs the "decohesion", induced by the revival of subsidence due to old Underground mining. However, some mining slopes can locally present risks of slipping induced by old Underground mining.

Anyway here are a few pics

Thanks for looking

• By HitGirl
      Explored with one other non member
      Fab little place with the most beautiful stairs i have ever seen

• By drinkinbud
      various places that skeleton key showed us so a bit pic heavy

• By Space Invader
      explored with wevsky and urban ginger ...
      a big to humpa and his cousin
      As wevsky explained things didn't quite go to plan on this trip, but saying that cars can be replaced good friends cant ! so all good in the end . After a flying visit to Amsterdam on the way through we push on to Berlin . We arrived at beelitz early morning and as we had been told of different things to look out for we expected someone to be on site. After coming out the third building and bumping into a group of seven German explores. We exchanged a few locations and they told us that secca wasn't a problem i didn't really get anoth pics to show the place in all its glory but no doubt it wont be long before were heading back that way really need a couple of days to cover it properly ...
      on with the pics ....

thanks for looking ...