mookster

USA Portside Grain Elevator aka 'The Motherload' - March 2015

...or to give it it's proper title, the 'Holy f**king s**t this is epic' Grain Elevator.

After finding the most unassuming but amazing breakfast spot ever where I ate possibly the best toasted bacon and egg breakfast sandwich I have ever eaten I knew that it was going to be a good day.

This place is massive. And I mean truly MAHOOOOSIVE. The elevators at Silo City in Buffalo are the only things comparable in size to this behemoth which towers over everything in the neighbourhood. The ascent to the top floors where all the interest lies involves a dizzying, disorientating spiral staircase in a pitch black metal tube that takes you to the level above the vast silos, and then numerous staircases up to the roof - tiring stuff but the rewards are totally worth it. I soon forgot about my aching legs as once again I found myself somewhere in which I literally didn't know where to point the camera at first, everywhere I looked I saw something I needed to investigate.

So here are some photos of what I saw.

16781629340_b11052df8f_b.jpg

16943263946_d7e7e410ca_b.jpg

16781512348_ef293280fe_b.jpg

16943251836_2cd5474b76_b.jpg

16968257771_afc415452d_b.jpg

16782995879_c43a8ed061_b.jpg

16781709320_0ce99f6c96_b.jpg

16943227186_4edd168d92_b.jpg

16968232981_3cd0caf3fe_b.jpg

16761784787_d3587e9943_b.jpg

16349074623_2da98c14d3_b.jpg

16349066223_5d72ef16f9_b.jpg

16969155835_9253b73d99_b.jpg

16943198896_8b2acf4248_b.jpg

16943197456_9b95df291f_b.jpg

16781454948_ffd1822c10_b.jpg

16782942339_5027c4fc56_b.jpg

16781442408_fa5c5f05d0_b.jpg

16782935879_49b40bba0f_b.jpg

16781436488_8423c98acd_b.jpg

16968184611_f1e028503b_b.jpg

16782926379_5b032143a7_b.jpg

16781426598_af14b919a9_b.jpg

16761729057_3b9099448b_b.jpg

16346751734_4d5d31912d_b.jpg

16761723567_111361be6c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, more here https://www.flickr.com/photos/mookie427/sets/72157651177326707/

Cheers peeps :)

Favourite thing I've seen from your recent trip this, full of win...any shots of the spiral staircase?

It wasn't that great from the outside, it went up about a floor then disappeared into the metal tube so not much to look at from top or bottom sadly...it was bloody tiring though!

A little late to the party, I know... but have to say, Thanks For Posting! Motherlode indeed. I have been pondering the exploration of a couple of these locations in my backyard here in Indiana and find this collection a most powerful whetting agent!

50 minutes ago, masodo said:

A little late to the party, I know... but have to say, Thanks For Posting! Motherlode indeed. I have been pondering the exploration of a couple of these locations in my backyard here in Indiana and find this collection a most powerful whetting agent!

Nothing wrong with bringing old reports back up to the surface, especially when they are like this!

@mookster you have a habit of producing epically mahoosive places, pretty synonymous with ‘murica I guess... 😉

nice one.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By eyevolve

Built in 1896 and in continuous use until 1995, this pinwheel style quaker prison was a reflection of a similar one located nearby. You can tour that one for a few dollars and take as many pictures as you like. This one was not so easy....

It was the site of a controversial decades-long dermatological, pharmaceutical, and biochemical weapons research projects involving testing on inmates.

The prison is also notable for several major riots in the early 1970s.

The prison was home to several trials which raised several ethical and moral questions pertaining to the extent to which humans can be experimented on. In many cases, inmates chose to undergo several inhumane trials for the sake of small monetary reward. The prison was viewed as a human laboratory.
      “All I saw before me were acres of skin. It was like a farmer seeing a fertile field for the first time.” Dr. X

One inmate described experiments involving exposure to microwave radiation, sulfuric and carbonic acid, solutions which corroded and reduced forearm epidermis to a leather-like substance, and acids which blistered skin in the testicular areas.

In addition to exposure to harmful chemical agents, patients were asked to physically exert themselves and were immediately put under the knife to remove sweat glands for examination. In more gruesome accounts, fragments of cadavers were stitched into the backs of inmates to determine if the fragments could grow back into functional organs.

So common was the experimentation that in the 1,200-person prison facility, around 80% to 90% of inmates could be seen experimented on.

The rise of testing harmful substances on human subjects first became popularized in the United States when President Woodrow Wilson allowed the Chemical Warfare Service (CAWS) during World War I.

All inmates who were tested upon in the trials had consented to the experimentation, however, they mostly agreed for incentives like monetary compensation. Experiments in the prison often paid around $30 to $50 and even as much as $800. “I was in prison with a low bail. I couldn’t afford the monies to pay for bail. I knew that I wasn’t guilty of what I was being held for. I was being coerced to plea bargain. So, I thought, if I can get out of this, get me enough money to get a lawyer, I can beat this. That was my first thought.”

I expected to find an epic medical ward only to be filled with disappointment. The practice was so common I can only assume it was conducted everywhere.

Many advocates of the prison trials, such as Solomon McBride, who was an administrator of the prisons, remained convinced that there was nothing wrong with the experimentation at the Holmesburg prison. McBride argued that the experiments were nothing more than strapping patches of cloth with lotion or cosmetics onto the backs of patients and argued this was a means for prisoners to earn an easy income.

The negative public opinion was particularly heightened by the 1973 Congressional Hearing on Human Experimentation. The hearing was supposed to discuss the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and clarify the ethical and legal implications of human experimental research. This climate called for a conscious public which rallied against the use of vulnerable populations such as prisoners as guinea pigs. Companies and organizations who associated themselves with human testing faced severe backlash. Amidst the numerous senate hearings, public relation nightmares, and opponents to penal experimentation, county prison boards realized human experimentation was no longer acceptable to the American public. Swiftly, human testing on prisoners was phased out of the United States.

Only a renovated gymnasium is considered suitable for holding inmates. That building is frequently used for overflow from other city jails.

The district attorney launched an extensive two year investigation documenting hundreds of cases of the rape of inmates.

The United States had ironically been strong enforcers of the Nuremberg Code and yet had not followed the convention until the 1990s. The Nuremberg code states: “[T]he person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision.”

The prison trials violated this definition of informed consent because inmates did not know the nature of materials they were experimented with and only consented due to the monetary reward. America’s shutting down of prison experimentation such as those in the prison signified the compliance of the Nuremberg Code of 1947.

You look so precious.

• By Ferox
      Had a look at this place while in the area back in March. The cars where the main attraction for me and they did not disappoint. Excellent examples of cars left to rust and rot until they finally fall in on themselves. The rest of the site consists of stripped huts with some being more interesting and less bear than others. A relaxed and pleasant half hour. Visited with non member Paul.
      HISTORY
      Known as Prisoner of war camp 116 was built in 1941 and located in Hatfield heath, just outside Bishops Stortford.
      The camp mainly housed Italians until about 1943-1944 where it held German and Austrian prisoners aswell. It was known at one point the camp housed 750 prisoners
      The prisoners had a relatively easy lifestyle here (Unlike the English prisoners in the German POW Camps) and could do voluntary work in the near by farm land in Harlow, they were picked up by the Land Girls and each prisoner had an allotted farm where they would work at.

Thanks For Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157678466406434/with/32853941973/
    • By Rob Adventures
      Located In Columbus Ohio. Very popular urbex place.