skeleton key

Convicted for Trespassing at Severalls

Severalls Hospital in Boxted Road, Colchester, closed in 1997 and negotiations by owners the North Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (NEP) are ongoing in a bid to sell it to developers.

However the site has attracted a number of unwanted visitors wanting to photograph the buildings, picnic on the grounds and even from ghost hunters.

00z11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111222%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

A 20-year-old man was given 40 hours of unpaid work, fined almost £200 and given a one year probation order at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on February 23 after being prosecuted for trespassing on the site on February 7.

Full story here

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ghost_hunters_trespassing_at_colchester_s_old_severalls_hospital_site_warned_they_face_prosecution_1_4016240

PMSL Apr 1st

Edited by skeleton key

Interesting read that. Having spent around 24 hours in the place over a few visits undetected, the best policy is "don't get caught" :D:D

I really don't see how they can justify the money spent on cases like this. It's pathetic! Make an example yeah but with more important matters surely.

As for a heavily pregnant woman and a 5 year old on site well. That's not something I would do but its down to the parents really, I'm not going to tell someone how to bring up their child but when we put ourselves in these places which ultimately can be dangerous I would not be doing the same with my child. I'm struggling to see how an 8 month pregnant woman can get over palisade tbh!!

Theres got to be more to this than meets the eye and as for this fella Im with Silent Hill what a penis.

00z111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111112221.jpg

If the story is true there were crminal laws broken il pm the fella and get from his own lips and post reply :thumb

I really don't see how they can justify the money spent on cases like this. It's pathetic! Make an example yeah but with more important matters surely.

As for a heavily pregnant woman and a 5 year old on site well. That's not something I would do but its down to the parents really, I'm not going to tell someone how to bring up their child but when we put ourselves in these places which ultimately can be dangerous I would not be doing the same with my child. I'm struggling to see how an 8 month pregnant woman can get over palisade tbh!!

Speaking as a 7 month pregnant women I can tell you there would be no getting over it lol I struggle to tie my laces at the best of times so my exploring shoes are well and truly hung up for the time being :)

Speaking as a 7 month pregnant women I can tell you there would be no getting over it lol I struggle to tie my laces at the best of times so my exploring shoes are well and truly hung up for the time being :)

They must be wrong because I just can't see a heavily pregnant woman climbing over that. The mind boggles. Congrats by the way

Same, Congrats with the up and coming birth of the next generation of urban explorer :grin:

When we visited there was no palisade to climb at all, and had not been for the 4 days prior. So win win if they got lucky then... And the little girl was 4 years old and loves exploring and has done for 3 years now

Here she is with me on the left and 2 friends who I would trust her life with and mine as well

034_zpse77ec732.jpg

That's mint mate, ace to see the little one into the exploring so early, I bet she loves the adventures :)

I heard about that period when a large section of the palisade was down and was hoping it was still down when we visited in December. Unfortunately it was repaired and we had to do the ball pincher :eek:

And the last time I looked in the responsible parenting handbook it did not mention a date to take your kid exploring, but it did mention on a good few occasions that it is harmful to wrap kids up in bubble wrap

When we visited there was no palisade to climb at all, and had not been for the 4 days prior. So win win if they got lucky then... And the little girl was 4 years old and loves exploring and has done for 3 years now

Here she is with me on the left and 2 friends who I would trust her life with and mine as well

034_zpse77ec732.jpg

I know you do, I know this was about you mate. Like I said, it's down to the parents. I know you look after her wherever you take her. I couldn't do the same as Id be too busy taking pics etc hence why I said it's not something I would do. There is no way I could take a child in to places I've been. Sometimes I struggle to look after myself.

Personally I think it's good that you and others are introducing the next generation of explorer to urbexing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Space Invader
      visited with obscurity and wevsky
      a little history .....
      Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, UK was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 which first opened in May 1913. The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. The architect of the asylum was Frank Whitmore.
      Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical to the Edwardian Period. The most ornate buildings are the Administration Building, Larch House & Severalls House (originally the Medical Superintendent's residence).
      on with the pics ...

a good reason to go back ...

Thanks for looking
    • By Wevsky
      Yep another sevs report.we havnt done it so after the news of the plans for the place a decision was made and we headed up for our first explore of the day!
      Now Obscurity has been bust at the fence before so was looking to get it done,and done it was we used our urbex trampoline to deal with that palisade and ninja'd our wayin..shortly after to be followed by Olz9181 and his mate (sorry mate forgot yer name..been a long day)..quick chat and intorductions and we went our seperate ways!
      History has been done to death so here's
      http://severallsmentalhospital.co.uk/#/ ... 4532878444
      Got to a point we could hear what sounded like a power tool being used and some distant banging so as we had spent quite a while in here decided to Gtfo..
      Visited with Space Invader and Obscurity
      Not gunna go to mad with the pics im sure you have all seen the place by now...

sorry love them corridors..

With a bit of info (cheers dicky)we where sure we where gunna nail the tower..but it wasnt to be..

Thanks to Obscurity for driving and too both of you for a long but fun day!
      Just for nelly one pano

• By Nelly
      One of the most impressive things that I have ever seen. The size of the place and the sheer scale cannot be described, the corridors that stretch seemingly for miles and the surprises that await around every corner.
      The History
      Severalls Hospital was the second Essex County Asylum - opening in 1913 to relieve pressure from the Warley Asylum.
      Designed by F.Whithouse & W.H.Town, the site was continually added to between 1910 and 1935, and this is reflected in the different styles present.
      The asylum was situated on 300 acres of the Severalls estate, which was sold to the Essex County Council in 1904 and its doors were opened to patients in 1913; at its peak it housed over 2000 patients, both in main wards and the outlaying villas.
      Interestingly the chimney attached to the water tower was lowered by one third of its height during World War Two to prevent it being a hazard to crippled bombers landing at a nearby US airbase

Happy New Year!!!

Thanks for taking the time
    • By SuZyQue
      Visited this place last year, fantastic place and a great explore, sadly I don't think there is much left now, Enjoy the pics.

The demolished hall

One of the many corridors.

The water tower, comical entrance and what a view from the top.

Some of the artwork on the walls was fantastic.

Inside the admin building, didn't capture this well as didn't have the best of camera at the time.

Enjoy the pics.
    • By The_Raw

Severalls Hospital (also known as the Second Essex County Asylum and Severalls Mental Hospital) was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 in Colchester. The 300-acre site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors.  Psychiatrists were free to experiment with new treatments on patients seemingly at will, using practices now considered unsuitable such as electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) and the use of frontal lobotomy.

The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions.

I don't generally post reports from old trips but nobody has posted a report from here for ages so why not, it's a classic! The first time I went we spent 4 hours inside before being busted by a Gurkha just as we were leaving. He was a smily chap who didn't speak much English, I gave my name as Robert Palmer and sang him a quick rendition of my hit 'Addicted to love' before he let us out and told us to "come back and try again tomorrow" with a cheeky wink. I returned a couple of weeks later and this time we managed 7 hours unseen and saw a fair bit of the site. There isn't much stuff left behind but the long corridors and 20 odd years of natural decay are really photogenic in places. The site is now apparently being prepped for initial demolition, all the trees have gone and there is new security in place so my advice is to get down there soon if you want to see it before it goes. Asylums will soon be a thing of the past....

1. The front of the admin building

10. Squirrels Boutique was the hospital tuck shop

25. This was where the main hall existed before it was destroyed in a fire and demolished in 2007

26. More fire damage, the beams on the ceiling stood out in the shape of a crucifix from this angle

28. Some externals

Thanks for looking