You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Doug
      Too lazy to walk down stairs or straighten my camera.

• By Buffalo
      History
      High Royds Hospital (formerly known as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum) first opened on the 8th October 1888. The main purpose of the asylum was to contain and restrain mentally ill patients. People often spent decades imprisoned in the asylum, which was recognized in the High Royds Cemetery which stands as a testament to those who spent their last days there. People lived very repetitive and lonely lives in the asylum due to poor care and understanding of mental illness in the 19th century, and it was common for people to be admitted for minor mental illnesses, such as phobias, anxiety and learning disabilities.
      The asylum was given the name Menston Mental Hospital in the 1920's, (and eventually became High Royds Asylum in 1963), and cures for mental illness were considered as an alternative to simply storing patients. The use of shock therapy was introduced with the intention of putting patients into a relaxed mental state, however this resulted in many patients screaming in pain, and sometimes caused them to become unconscious. Lobotomy was also a popular treatment at High Royds around this time.
      The hospital was closed in 2003 because it had become outdated and unsuited to modern psychiatric practice.
      The site is now being redeveloped into a new village, and all that remains is the admin block, which is grade II listed. Some features of the hospital will remain, such as the clock tower and ballroom.

I've been here a few times so the photos are from various trips. I only ever got to see the Admin block but it was worth it for the clock tower and ballroom which I'm glad they're keeping. Explored with @plod and a few others. Sadly this place is now a no-go, I think its safe to assume somebody had been caught by the residents which brought attention to the access point, as they always seem to have their eyes out. I'm glad I at least got to see the last little bit that was left while it still stands though.

• By Buffalo
      The former British Gas building was built in the 1960's and at 147ft is the 21st tallest building in Leeds. Originally to be demolished, this building currently has plans of being converted into a hotel designed by Simpson Haugh and partners. The podium building will also be extended and raised to four storeys along its full length, and work is now progressing on the demolition phase.

I was with @plod and another user from 28DL when I explored this in June but I have since come back a few times and built up a series of photos taken from late afternoon through to the night. Pretty cool place this, the views are amazing. It's definitely worth the huge trek up those stairs  As I still currently use a bridge camera, not all of my pictures turned out all that good due to photographing in unfavorable conditions for the most part but I wanted to show them anyway.

• By Buffalo
      Coleg Harlech was a residential adult education college for mature students, established in 1927 by Thomas Jones. Starting from just 6 students; numbers increased to 30 in the 1930's, then 70 in the 1960's. Coleg Harlech began offering a two-year diploma course validated by the University of Wales, which became a preparation for university education for those who had missed out on earlier education to give them a second chance.

I had spent the day on Harlech beach with @plod and after our original plan became unsuccessful we headed to the train station. On our way there we came across this place which I was surprised we hadn't noticed sooner as it really stands out like a sore thumb, so we went ahead and had a look inside as we had an hour to kill anyway. There wasn't much to see inside but I'm doing this report because I've noticed nobody else has actually gone here. We did get a really good view of the beach from the roof though 

• By Buffalo
      Salem Methodist Chapel was built in 1833 in Arthog, near Barmouth in North Wales. In 1868 it was rebuilt in the Gothic style of the gable-entry type, by architect Thomas of Landore, and eventually closed in 1973. Apparently the owner of the building moved abroad to avoid paying a bill for a quarter of a million pounds, which means as a result the walls and other works of the structure are unsafe to passing motorists and local residents due to lack of maintenance. It has been assessed and surveyed and is deemed likely to collapse on itself if it does go.

Me and @plod were on holiday in the area so I did a bit of research to see what was about that we could explore. We hadn't yet done a chapel so I was pretty eager to look at this one, so we took a long walk up to check it out. It seems the chapel roof has already started collapsing in on itself which is a huge risk with it being situated on a hill right next to the road, although we got some great views of the inside of the chapel from the path that goes up along by the roof. I really liked the little piano in the corner too, and the building itself was in a very nice state of decay.
      We actually ended up sleeping in here one of the nights since we walked here at about 3am and were too far away from where we were staying