hamtagger

RAE Bedford Video Tour - April 2015

Nice! Loving the choice of music too. What Go Pro are you using? I still need to buy one but can't justify £250 for videos of me chasing the neighbors cat with a pick axe.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By HitGirl
      Explored with 2 non members
      Walked around for almost 3 hours with a hangover trying to find the entrance to this place

• By Wevsky
      Big thanks to TBm and Northern Ninja for cracking this and the intel............
      Explored with UrbanGinger,Stealth and Obscurity..
      No mishaps or hassles with getting to the bunker other than a man in a red van with his dog being nosey so no grand stories of our escapades im afreaid..(yay i hear you say no waffling shit)
      Some history from wicki
      American military forces were first stationed at High Wycombe in 1942, shortly after the United States' formal entrance into World War II. So urgent was the action that Wycombe Abbey School, situated on the land that would become the station, was given three weeks to find new facilities; failure in this effort led to the school's closing, until the independent girl's school was returned by the US in 1945.
      In 1952, the station, formerly known as Daws Hill House, welcomed US forces again. The following years of the Cold War saw fluctuation in the base's importance.
      Approximately 800 personnel were stationed there when, in 1969, their numbers were reduced, so that, in the early 1970s, only a small group remained for upkeep of facilities.
      Then, in 1975, activity escalated, revitalising the station's importance to the American military in Europe. Its nuclear bunker, with 23,000 square feet (2,100 square meters) of space, housed high-tech equipment for the direction of nuclear bombers and guided missiles.
      Use of the station was reduced with the end of the Cold War; by 1992, US Defense personnel at RAF Daws Hill numbered fewer than 350.
      In 2002, the UK Ministry of Defence proposed to close RAF Daws Hill some years in the future, turning the 50 acres (20 ha) of land over to other public and private use and relocating American Naval personnel and activities to other locations near London, particularly RAF Uxbridge.[2] The plan apparently fizzled, however, when the US Navy voiced its preference to remain. High Wycombe, desiring to build at least 400 new houses by 2011 for its growing population, considered the land ideal for up to 600 houses; but nearby residents also rejected the proposal because of the changes that it would entail, including increased traffic on relatively quiet roads.
      The station was home, between 1971 and 2007, to the London Central Elementary High School, part of the Department of Defense Dependents Schools, with pupils in grades K?12. Also at Daws Hill are 70 housing units for American personnel and their families. Other facilities include warehouses and those for vehicle maintenance, as well as support buildings for persons who lived and worked at the base, such as a bank, a post office, a bowling alley, sports grounds and buildings, a small exchange, an automobile refueling station, and a social club
      On with My pics from our outing.

Sorry its a bit pic heavy but its a huge site and theres a lot of bits of machinery all over the place as well as vast empty rooms.
    • By Nelly
      Based high on the Lincolnshire wolds, approximately 5 miles South-East of Louth, RAF Stenigot opened in 1940 as a WW2 Radar station.

It was part of the Chain Home radar network to provide long range early warning for raids from along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central midlands.

The original site contained 4 giant 110m (360ft) transmitter masts, and 2 generator/receiving blocks.
      After WW2 the site operated for this purpose until 1959 when 3 of the masts were dismantled and the site was redeveloped as a NATO communications relay site as part of the ACE High program.
      This resulted the construction of four tropospheric scatter parabolic dishes.

The site finally closed around 1991 after advances in modern technology made the facility redundant and in 1996 was finally disposed of, however many of the older structures still remain.
      One original radar tower has been retained by the MOD which is a grade 2 listed structure and is used for climbing aptitude training by the Aerial Erector School at RAF Digby.

On a clear day, from the top of the tower, its is possible to see Lincoln Cathedral, the North Sea and even the Humber bridge as well as the lines of bomb craters left by the Luftflotte.

• By he who must rome
      A days trip lead us to here and several other sites, I'd love to write some history about this place but I cannot find any that hasn't been done before !. never the less if you have not been here I'd recommend it !.

We decided to look around the remaining building which was secured by a nice fence and Hmmmmmmmm some thing I've never seen before a padlock that beeps at you when you go near !!!!!, at first i thought was it an electric fence until I looked under the lock..haha never the less We obtained access even though we saw many trees with

on getting in taking pic's in stealth mode...several mins passed until the other half went into a different building away from me, packing up I went outside between the walls and room I'd just been in then it happened.........I heard a blokes voice..........hello...........(i thought it was over a small speaker system)......then the other half ran round corner to me.........HELLO.......oh shoot ! we was not alone haha the other halfs face said it all we were busted.....so going back to the way we came in the owner was looking at us .....no amused to say the least but after explaining we tried the phone number on the cctv notices and obtained no reply just cut off we stated we both thought the site was no longer under any protection and just abandoned .....he took our story to be true after all my mobile phone had 2 out going calls to said phone number so he just stated 5 mins then i'm calling the police !.....cheeky me asked for any history about the place he could give us !!!! lol, then we shot off for a few more pics and out fast !.

Oh he asked if i was going to put this onto the net which i replied no.......never stated our lass would not for me though !!! haha
    • By RiF
      Took a walk around Newton again today, to see what access was like, still easy as. It was also a visit to see what was happening here, Turns out that they have put in for planning permission to build an "eco" town here, build starts sometime next year, was on the news yesterday, which I missed:(
      Was on the Newton for a few hours, before I was stopped by a worker and asked what I was doing, not going to bore you with the convo we had, was the standard thing, we all know, lol. Was a nice guy tho.
      This will be the last time I'll see Newton this way , am sure when I'm home, it'll be gone/ in the process of being demolished
      So here are the photos
      Footpath 'Temporarily closed'

Workers camp from a far

Looking down to the A46, vehical access road

looking up to the hangers, 'H' blocks etc

Exit road onto the A46

Also found this little gem hidden away, very happy that I found it an managed to get photos of it, before it gets flattened.

Chillin in the shade across from a 'H' building. Workers cars and Highway maintenance vehicle parking lot(behind the tree)

Workers camp, standin on top of the mound of earth

Saxondale roundabout work

Entrance from & exit to A46, Newton. Now with a bus stop

Burnt out house has gone

See my other photos here
      http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/Z ... n/?start=0