-Raz-

Climbing the conveyor belts at Monckton Coke - May 2015

That's mint mate, those open bits must've added to the sphincter twitching eh? I need to get some of this place in my life soon :)

yes mate the open bit's made my arse twitch a little! get yourself over dude some nice stuff in south yorkshire :)

Will do bud, theres a few places in your neck of the woods i need to get amongst at the next free opportunity :):)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Wevsky
      This was the last port of call on our 2 day trip to Wales.After a less than sound nights sleep in the car which in my opinion was worse than sleeping at Pool Park the night before we headed in not long after the sun had started coming up ,which would explain some of the shots!Really liked this place and even tho we missed a fewrooms with pipes and gauges as tbh 2 nights sod all sleep and clambering around the walkways in hot sunshine we had had enough and packed up.
      Relaxed explore in a great location if you like flaky paint ,rust and big hunks of machinery left around.
      visited with SpaceInvader and Obscurity while St0rm caught up on some sleep back at the car..
      Borrowed history

On with some pics...

• By (76)
      Been to this well-known Coking Plant loads of times over the years. Here are some of my favourite pics...

Max

• By Merryprankster
      way over due writing an actual report, got a back log of about 20 reports at the minute but just cant find the time or the internet speed for uploading to flickr, spend most the week working away on the most basic hotel wifi youve ever seen then when the weekend comes around im always off exploring, anwyays heres a little start with some good old south wales indursty

took my mate lara whos wanted to come exploring for a while, was a good day but i reckon we only saw about 2/3rds as we had other stuff on the list to tick off, definitely want to come back here in the summer when the foliage is in full bloom

bit of coffee and paste histoire

Cwm coke works is a large site just north of Beddau in Rhondda Cynon Taf. Up until the mid 1800′s Beddau was a small collection of farmsteads at the conjunction of four crossroads. (Incidentally, Beddau, which means ‘graves’, may be a shortening of Croesheol y Beddau, ‘crossroads of the graves’, as it is marked on an ordnance survey map circa. 1833. Criminals were often hanged as crossroads as an example to others…). In the 1860′s coal pits were sunk around Beddau, and the town grew at a steady rate until 1909, which saw the opening of Cwm colliery. As the industry moved in, Beddau grew quickly, and in 1958 Cwm coke works opened, furthering the expansion. At its peak, Cwm colliery was producing hundreds of thousand of tons of high quality, low sulphur coal per year. Much of this was processed at Cwm coke works, into high-grade coke suitable for foundry use. The National Coal Board closed the colliery in 1986, and Cwm Coke works in 2002, leaving yet another small Welsh town deprived and forgotten. It would seem now, work has begun to reclaim the land, so perhaps this magnificent example of commanding industry and stark, utilitarian achitecture won’t be around for much longer.

thanks kids ttake it sleazy!!
    • By Hydro

Explored with -Raz-
      Bit of background;
      Coke has been produced on this site for 130 years, with the current works being the last independent coke works in the country until it was bought by Hargreaves (Norec) in 2005. It is estimated that the plant produces 11 megawatts of energy, for the less savyy that is enough energy from gas to power itself and 1,000 homes on top of that. It was also ranked one of Europe’s leading coke product producers. When the plant closed in December 2014 it sparked the end of the coal industry in Barnsley, an industry that at one time provided 50% of the jobs for males in the area. The plant is currently awaiting decommission as of this report date.

The Explore;
      After a previous visit which was short lived and ended in "eyup flower tha nos tha shunt be on ere" we figured it might be a good time to make the return visit. Starting off the night terribly with not one but 2 locations that denied us access we set off for the Coke works on our way home.
      Once inside the perimeter we play the stealth game avoiding cameras so as not to alert the secca to our position and made our way steadily to the other side of the site where we found a control room full of buttons and cool looking pipes;

Apon leaving the controls behind we headed over to the head gear and attemped to climb it but as we were doing it the security rumbled us and made the point that we werent wearing PPE. As an after thought we should noted to him that Hi-Vis jackets and nightime stealth dont particularly go hand in hand.
      So again i didnt see the whole site... Revisit is very much needed!!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading