Lovely art deco cinema tucked away in sunny south brum, this was the second time i tried this place, first time was a fail but its not too far from me so it was only a matter of time until it happened. pain in the bum of a place to light up, light comes tearing through the few windows that are in this place and makes for very uneven lighting, should really learn to layer different exposures but hey ho.

bit of history

The Royalty Cinema was opened on 20th October 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in "The Love Parade". It was built for and operated by the local independent Selly Oak Pictures Ltd.

The Royalty Cinema was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in March 1935. ABC closed the cinema on 2nd November 1963 with Cliff Robertson in "P.T.109". It was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club, and in 2010 it is operating as a Gala Bingo Club.

In the summer of 2011, the Royalty Cinema was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.

n 2012 police raided the cinema and discovered that the attic was being used as a cannabis factory. 40 plants were found, together with 10-15 kilos of dried cannabis leaves.

the royalty has been empty since the raid.

picture time

16949697873_4186e0856b_b.jpg

17570043235_3976d691dc_b.jpg

17567727192_f904946ccb_b.jpg

17382193878_da8589d2db_b.jpg

17383627809_ccaa98e5ba_b.jpg

16949637963_b74d390992_b.jpg

16949667643_2cd7afc2ec_b.jpg

17382475820_5b34fbf5b7_b.jpg

17382165198_ca32d4665e_b.jpg

16949705063_6ec18c9939_b.jpg

thanks for looking, have fun and stay safe kids.

You've done well there with the low light conditions, must've been a grand place in it's day :)

How lovely seeing this place pop up. really nice shots! We had a great time here, even though it was a bit of a squeeze to get in, thanks for sharing :)

:comp:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jw94
      Not a lot about this place, I believe the bowling part shut down in 2009 and then the crystal maze part shut down in 2010. Oakwood own this place and have no plans for it besides letting it rot away. Whoever is trying to look after this place is attempting to keep people out. Heard about this place from a different site, easy to find, such a pain in the arse to get into as there's a very tight gap to try and squeeze through..

Thee maze is bigger than first thought, only uploaded a few pictures of that. 

• By jones-y-gog
      One from the vault. Did a quick search on this one and surprisingly saw very little in the way of reports - so thought I'd share my take on it.

Back in the day this place was quite infamous - mostly it seems due to the few 'bad apples' that lurk within the exploring community. Stories of looting and selling out to the media were rife. 

It is quite a special place for me as its the kind of place that's close to where my ancestors lived and I can imagine its the kind of place they would call home. Its located in a wild and isolated place, it would have been a harsh and bleak landscape to live in at times but in its own way stunning and beautiful. 

I visited twice in the early part of 2015. The house had obviously been left unoccupied a very long time until it suddenly appeared on the radar. The owners had become aware of this and tried securing it.  On my first visit I noticed a big new shiny padlock was in place on the outhouse. When I returned about a month later the whole door had been smashed. A little later all doors and windows were boarded up, leading to an unofficial renaming by one clever wordsmith as Shroud Cottage. It appears that also didn't deter those with no sense of respect in the search for 15 minutes of Facebook fame. 

Enough of the backstory and on with the pictures:

• By stevieboy
      Say "Saltersgate Inn" on our away weekend and the reading is fascinating

https://www.thewhitbyguide.co.uk/the-legend-of-the-saltersgate-inn-part-1/
    • By BritishRanger
      The Ark Synagogue, Liverpool. Also known as Greenbank Synagogue.

History -

My visit -

I visited this site recently with two friends that I run the facebook page 0151 Outdoors with, if you are on facebook, give us a like!

Well, I dont really know if this can be classed as a report, haven't had too much luck on my first few explores, but I'm not letting that stop me.  This time, I arrived on site, and took a few pictures of the exterior before two dodgy blokes of possibly eastern european descent came running around the corner, shouting about how the building is ''TOP SECRET''

They weren't too frightening, so I grabbed a few pictures as I walked off the grounds, the guy in the last picture told me as I was leaving, ''£10 pictures outside, £20 pictures inside'' but I think I'd rather try again in future, its part of the fun. I dont know how true it is, but apparently the building is now owned by a man from Pakistan, and a lot of bits from inside have been removed.

Anyway, these are just a couple of the pictures I took of the exterior, shame I didnt get inside as it looks interesting on other peoples reports.