stoozie

Selly Oak Hospital & Mortuary June 2015

Decided it was time to get out exploring again so sorted out a visit to Selly Oak as its been on my list for ages. Met up with two other explorers on the day and had a good look around. Getting into the mortuary is a bit risky but so worth it!

History

The first buildings on the site of Selly Oak Hospital were those of the King's Norton Union Workhouse. It was a place for the care of the poor and was one of many workhouses constructed throughout the country following the introduction of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. This act replaced the earlier system of poor relief, dating from 1601.

The hospital closed in 2012 upon completion of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Relocation of the first services from Selly Oak began during the summer of 2010 when its A&E department moved to the new Q.E.Hospital on 16 June and over the next 7 days Critical Care and other departments moved step-by-step the 1.5 miles to the new hospital. On average one inpatient was moved every 5 minutes between 7 am and early evening. On the morning of 23 May 2010 a 'Service of Thanks' was held at Selly Oak Hospital to celebrate a century of caring and this was followed by a fun fair at which staff and patients were invited to "Take a Trip Down Memory Lane", sign a memory wall and contribute to an on-line memories website. The reorganisation was first planned in 1998 though it was not until October 2004 that planning approval was given by Birmingham City Council, with construction beginning during 2006.

Pictures

Mortuary

18413897380_12792b3e3e_b.jpg

17978918074_d1ea12a55f_b.jpg

18575144846_60e12b2530_b.jpg

18603639041_c8b3080839_b.jpg

Outpatients X-Ray

18601399725_48a1bb9860_b.jpg

18603542091_4aa1ff89b2_b.jpg

18413644798_eff420f0da_b.jpg

Main Hospital

18575033656_6dc35db6a7_b.jpg

18575051536_73437441f9_b.jpg

18413776770_5dbd57cf98_b.jpg

17980838643_8e3e047054_b.jpg

More pictures up here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuarthomas/sets/72157654300167915

Nice pictures mate, really like that window shot in the chapel of rest!

Safe to say the morgue access was dodgy indeed, but we got there in the end:thumb

Was a good day, cheers for the company:Devil:

Quality set of pictures there mate. Cheers for sharing :thumb

I'm intrigued about hearing stories about dodgy morgue access lately as we breezed in a month or so ago. They must've had a bit of a seal fest :)

Thanks for all your replies :D

Nice pictures mate, really like that window shot in the chapel of rest!

Safe to say the morgue access was dodgy indeed, but we got there in the end:thumb

Was a good day, cheers for the company:Devil:

Thanks for your company too! Hope to explore with you again.

Quality set of pictures there mate. Cheers for sharing :thumb

I'm intrigued about hearing stories about dodgy morgue access lately as we breezed in a month or so ago. They must've had a bit of a seal fest :)

There are a couple of ways in, both as dodgy as each other but one way only requires one person to do some crazy stuff then the rest can breeze in ;)

There are a couple of ways in, both as dodgy as each other but one way only requires one person to do some crazy stuff then the rest can breeze in ;)

Unfortunately, I was the guy that ended up doing the crazy stuff;)

Definitely worth it though!:thumb

I quite like the sound of this crazy access :D Really nice shots there Stoozie :thumb

If you do try the crazy way all I'll say is 'don't drop it!'

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By prettypeculiar
      This building used to be a monastery but in the first World War it was turned into an emergency hospital for soldiers who fought in the trenches. Many Belgian soldiers were brought into care here, which explains why the ' don't spit on the floor" sign is both in French and English.

We came here on a chilly winters day in December. I loved how the warm sunlight supported the nice colours in the building. 
      It's also the first location in which i stripped down to take a selfie, to find out later on,  loads of other explorers had been there on the same day. this could had turned out very awkward

Thanks for watching. 
    • By mturbex
      Abandoned and decayed. One of the most interesting place I've visited with exciting building structure, combined with decaying details. Shame about the place is about to get knocked down. An experience to remember.
      https://www.facebook.com/manny.teh/media_set?set=a.1945695755495938.1073741854.100001665983033&type=3&pnref=story
    • By Paradox
      Following on from our escapades here is another report from The Derpy Rotten Scoundrels Euroderp Tour earlier this year.

Having spent the previous day dicking about by Lake Como, swimming in the lake, the lads got their broga on, whilst Disco Kitten put everyone to shame with her epic yoga skills. fortytwo went jungleering and spent the day battling beasts in the wilderness and arrived back after a fight with a snake. 

Deciding we were on the move the next day we set up camp in a derelict house looking out over the lake. Chilled out with beer and did the only to do when your Euroderping and your derp has an awesome white wall, slammed Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom on the projector and settled in for the night!

Our plan was to head for the Holy Grail of NPU, having visited previously I was still excited about the chance of a revisit. So we loaded up the limo and Zsa Zsa and headed off with a plan to hit the Animal Testing Facility on the way.

This is another place that is proper trashed but good for a mini derp adventure. I have no idea of its full name, or where it is as I do an excellent job of sleeping as soon as Im in the car.
      Its a nice little walk in and there is still some interesting stuff in there to see.

I've gleaned a little bit of history from some dude who went in 2016.

The place belonged to a Swiss Company who were apparently big in the animal testing industry, they moved to this site and rented the building, however when the rental contract ran out they didn't renew the contract and it fell into disrepair.

The land it is built on is partly poisoned, due to there being a chemical site their previously and isn't likely to be cleaned up anytime soon. A couple of years after the facility closed it was hit by a fire, causing acrid fumes to permeate the local area. Firefighters arrived and found evidence the fire had been started deliberately but were able to stop the fire fairly quickly. Although they contained the fire, the whole site had to be checked due to rumours of the facility being occupied by refugees and concerns over the local kids playing in the buildings. 

The facility still has the animal operating/autopsy table in place and there is lots of medical equipment lying around, lamps, autoclaves and a gloved box unit.

Anyway here's a few pics (all from my phone as I lost the ones I took on my camera )

Thanks for looking
    • By EveDestruction
      The abandoned mining hospital, located in Hungary, dates back to the nineteenth century. A coal mining company in 1898 began construction of a small mining hospital, which began operations with the approval of the Minister of the Interior on December 17, 1900. The hospital. According to descriptions, it has been adapted for 50 beds. There was a surgical, internal and infectious department. The building was full of lighting, sewage and bathrooms. The facility was one of the most modern hospitals at the time. The care was extended to include the epidemic (1909) and the pharmacy. In 1911 the number of residents increased to such an extent that the hospital was no longer able to meet this number. In 1911, a new hospital was started, which started operating in 1912. The necessary buildings were built in the courtyard of the hospital (morgue, a section of the hospital, a chapel, a house for doctors and nuns, a horse farm). The three-storey hospital had 129 beds for patients who were placed in 23 units. The mining company was responsible for maintaining the hospital, covering all personnel and all costs. Despite many years of change, the mining hospital developed with the development of mining. The hospital was relocated in 1998 to a new hospital complex. Hungarians are tightly attached to the old building and have been trying to save one of the oldest buildings in the city for several years. It was sold for approximately HUF 276 million ($ 1 million). I am planning a rehabilitation center, an oncological center and a nursing home. 
      I invite to visit my site on facebook.
      Link to the full album: https://www.facebook.com/pg/urbexdestruction/photos/?tab=album&album_id=143007552995318

[/url]