stoozie

Selly Oak Hospital & Mortuary June 2015

Decided it was time to get out exploring again so sorted out a visit to Selly Oak as its been on my list for ages. Met up with two other explorers on the day and had a good look around. Getting into the mortuary is a bit risky but so worth it!

History

The first buildings on the site of Selly Oak Hospital were those of the King's Norton Union Workhouse. It was a place for the care of the poor and was one of many workhouses constructed throughout the country following the introduction of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. This act replaced the earlier system of poor relief, dating from 1601.

The hospital closed in 2012 upon completion of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Relocation of the first services from Selly Oak began during the summer of 2010 when its A&E department moved to the new Q.E.Hospital on 16 June and over the next 7 days Critical Care and other departments moved step-by-step the 1.5 miles to the new hospital. On average one inpatient was moved every 5 minutes between 7 am and early evening. On the morning of 23 May 2010 a 'Service of Thanks' was held at Selly Oak Hospital to celebrate a century of caring and this was followed by a fun fair at which staff and patients were invited to "Take a Trip Down Memory Lane", sign a memory wall and contribute to an on-line memories website. The reorganisation was first planned in 1998 though it was not until October 2004 that planning approval was given by Birmingham City Council, with construction beginning during 2006.

Pictures

Mortuary

18413897380_12792b3e3e_b.jpg

17978918074_d1ea12a55f_b.jpg

18575144846_60e12b2530_b.jpg

18603639041_c8b3080839_b.jpg

Outpatients X-Ray

18601399725_48a1bb9860_b.jpg

18603542091_4aa1ff89b2_b.jpg

18413644798_eff420f0da_b.jpg

Main Hospital

18575033656_6dc35db6a7_b.jpg

18575051536_73437441f9_b.jpg

18413776770_5dbd57cf98_b.jpg

17980838643_8e3e047054_b.jpg

More pictures up here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuarthomas/sets/72157654300167915

Nice pictures mate, really like that window shot in the chapel of rest!

Safe to say the morgue access was dodgy indeed, but we got there in the end:thumb

Was a good day, cheers for the company:Devil:

Quality set of pictures there mate. Cheers for sharing :thumb

I'm intrigued about hearing stories about dodgy morgue access lately as we breezed in a month or so ago. They must've had a bit of a seal fest :)

Thanks for all your replies :D

Nice pictures mate, really like that window shot in the chapel of rest!

Safe to say the morgue access was dodgy indeed, but we got there in the end:thumb

Was a good day, cheers for the company:Devil:

Thanks for your company too! Hope to explore with you again.

Quality set of pictures there mate. Cheers for sharing :thumb

I'm intrigued about hearing stories about dodgy morgue access lately as we breezed in a month or so ago. They must've had a bit of a seal fest :)

There are a couple of ways in, both as dodgy as each other but one way only requires one person to do some crazy stuff then the rest can breeze in ;)

There are a couple of ways in, both as dodgy as each other but one way only requires one person to do some crazy stuff then the rest can breeze in ;)

Unfortunately, I was the guy that ended up doing the crazy stuff;)

Definitely worth it though!:thumb

I quite like the sound of this crazy access :D Really nice shots there Stoozie :thumb

If you do try the crazy way all I'll say is 'don't drop it!'

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By LeeLewis82
      This is a repeated place and one that the whole of OS know.
      I stumbled across a old report on another forum and since havent seen many others post so here it is..
      Little Plumstead was home to Norfolk’s main “mental deficiency colony”. In recent years, it has closed down. Sadly a lot of the buildings have been demolished to make way for housing. Part of the site remains in use as a hospital. This section is due to close soon, with around 100 patients moving to community-based services.
      It has since demolished a lot of buildings including the pool leaving only 6 derelict standing buildings caked with decay and fragile floors.
      The hall itself attracts a lot of explorers and ghost hunters and has seen fire damage and metal thievery as well as tagger.

The upstairs of all the buildings in which extensive decay can be seen, warped floors, carpet going down into the non exsistant rafters and debris and scattered paper everywhere plus that lovely smell of dampness and black mould that we all love... masks are needed although ive never worn one.

The inside of the hall is to me like a chateu whilst ive only ever seen one on groups or forums its very simliar with its arch designs and colours.

Every time i have gained access and seen this place, it draws me in i cant explain the feel in the hall but its almost like you are being watched and waiting for a zombie to smash through a door and come and bite you.
      There is so much decay the floors upstairs are gone in some areas and in others there simply is no floor at all, Trollys left, files scattered, medical reports everywhere, spend needles and some aperatus is left.

Massive rooms for treatment as seen from very old pictures of the place, The asylum itself seemed to have a ward for un married women who were pregnant and were made to be treated as the public rejected them (Information to be confirmed), However no evidence of this has been seen.

It has since been boarded up and checked on at regular intervals due to the amount of breaking in the building's recieve with thick ply and mastic being placed and security screws everywhere entrance other than the local kids breaking in is almost impossible to gain entry at least without doing it the naughty way which i personally dont agree with.

The once grand staircase now completely trashed

Rooftop views (Very fragile lead roof)

Finally, im a celebrity nutter GET ME OUTTA HERE haha

Hopefully if and when there is a entry point again we will be able to obtain more detailled pictures but until then,,,,
      Enjoy.
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      First part here http://www.oblivionstate.com/forum/showthread.php/5527-Scottish-Hospital-June-2013
      I had too many shots to not post a second helping

Cheers
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      This was a brilliant explore, 5 guys from down south came up and I had a great day playing
      Saying nothing about this location except its huge !! 6 hours and there was still more
      On with the pics

Ok, this is when we found approx 500-1000 medical cards in a basement, I`m only posting one pic, I personally found it fascinating to read them

Cheers
      THE BARON
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      Following on from Stussys report the other week, heres my take on the place.
      It was getting late after a long day and to be honest I wanted the fire engine and that was about it, however, the place has a bit of charm about it, and I we caught it as the sun was going down so the light turned out nice in some shots.

next 2 taken 30 mins apart, shows what difference the light can do

I`ve only 2 more reports to put up from Belgium then I`m done you`ll be glad to hear........... until I go back in November
      Cheers
      The Baron
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      you know it or you dont
      this turned into a 7 hr explore with scattergun, starlightUE and Mr Dystopia
      lovely place with great company
      First of all we went up top

Quick look in the attic above the main hall

The Hall

this reminds me of eggs !!

Moving around the building

The Ivy Bathroom

Cheers for looking
      The Baron

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!