TheVampiricSquid

George Barnsley & Sons, Sheffield - June 2015

History:

founded in 1836 and specializing in manufacture files and cutting tools for use in the shoe making industry, they grew to become the world’s leading producer of tools for shoemakers. The technological revolution of the 20th century saw a decline in the need for traditional tools. George Barnsley & Sons survived until 2003 when the premises finally closed.

Explore:

This site was 2nd on the agenda for my day in Sheffield with Miz Firestorm, Duggie & Alex. Short walk from the courts and we were there, somewhat interesting entry (although i can't go into details ;)) and we were in! Had a nice, undisturbed wonder round here - stunning place I must add, really enjoyed it here. I'll upload the rest of the pictures from the day once I get round to editing, but until then, have these..:thumb

19395572370_fb6e10c765_b.jpg

19583530405_bc52a482cc_b.jpg

18962612503_15ddd9fb30_b.jpg

19576642932_46983a4c67_b.jpg

19395551008_35cb69e7f2_b.jpg

19396953029_63a6c61bca_b.jpg

19587822471_525d1ab01b_b.jpg

19396947549_906afac1ba_b.jpg

19396945509_f465b70251_b.jpg

19395575040_0cf2003639_b.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TheBaronof Scotland
      Next set from this amazing place

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      Day 1 of a very memorable trip, wanted to do this for so long and as such the opportunity arose a few weeks back to make it happen.
      With it being very short notice, I went on my own and joined a public tour for 2 days, with 5 other folk, only 1 other person taking pictures !! time was limited in each location as we tried to cram in as many different locations as possible.
      As such I only had approx 45 mins in here............. first of a few reports to follow of each place i thought worthy of a report

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By Lavino
      Visited this amazing grade one listed mansion with woopashoopaa and Tom let me just say what a great huge building this is with so many great features. Spend hours here just wondering around this place. The grounds and views are out of this world. With its own chapel in its vast grounds. And that is totally untouched. Complete with electricity the stained glass well these pics don't do the place justice. On with my history and pictures of the place....
      Pitchford Hall was built in 1560-70 by William Ottley, the Sheriff of Shropshire. However, the Hall probably has a 14th or 15th century core within the current structure.
      Originally, the hall was set in around 14 hectares of park and woodland. Attached to the hall is an orangery, which is also registered 'at risk' (Grade II listing).
      The treehouse (perched in a large lime tree) at Pitchford Hall was built in the 17th century in the same style as the hall itself.
      It may be the oldest oldest treehouse in the world, and even boasts an oak floor and gothic windows!
      The estate also contains some good examples of Roman and Victorian baths.
      Shrewsbury & Atcham Borough Council recently suggested designating Pitchford as a conservation Area, but the idea wasn't popular with locals.
      Unlike other similar properties, the hall has always remained in private hands - in fact it remained in the same family for many generations.
      However, in 1992, the then owners - financially hit by their responsibilities as Lloyds names - were forced to sell off the hall and for the first time in its history, the estate was split up.
      Pitchford Hall and estate are now separately owned.
      Pitchford Hall
      Pitchford Hall
      The condition of the hall is classified by English Heritage as 'fair'.
      Extensive work was done on the hall in the 19th century. Despite now lying vacant, ongoing work has improved the condition of the roof in particular. Additional work is required to some timber in the East wing and around window frames.
      Pitchford has also attracted a fair number of celebrities. In 1832, a few years before her coronation, the young Queen Victoria visited the hall with her mother. In her diary, the princess describes the hall as a large "cottage"!
      Meanwhile, in 1935, the hall also received the Duke of York and his wife - later to become George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother).
      It is claimed that Prince Rupert sought refuge in the hall's priest hole after the siege of Shrewsbury, while some of his troops hid in the subterranean tunnel on the estate.
      Pitchford Hall is also reputed to be home to a number of ghosts, including an unknown cavalier and the late owner, Robin Grant.

The beatyful chapel..

• By Lavino
      Visited the nice old hall with friend Tom and woopashoopaa. Was part of the days planned road trip. It took us a while to find this one but managed to get there in the end after thinking it was in another location and trecking through fields of dead sheep . And around various farm houses we eventually found it. Nice big old place and when we scouted it out for a while and made our entrane not long after we heard the alarms screaming so grabbed a few shot and made our way out as the building next door is live and is part of the estate. So here's a few pics I did manage to get and some history...
      Brogyntyn Hall has stood abandoned for 15 years. It was owned by the Lord Harlech until 2000. Settled in the 1600s the house and its estate once presided over the land as far as the eye can see. The family was one of the great English dynasties and owners of Harlech Castle in North Wales as well.
      Unfortunately a string of tragedies including two Lords Harlech dying without wills, leaving massive death duties to be paid, saw the decline of the family fortunes and subsequent sale of the Hall. Interestingly it was also used during the war by British Telecom as headquarters for communications for the spy network operating in Europe.

This is when it was used for the telecommunications

• By Urbexbandoned
      History

A bit of a mish mash as I couldn't find much just on the Chapel but this is what I did find. 

After its closure, the land of the former Hospital was purchased for residential development by Bloor Homes. It was sold off to various other developers such as Redrow, Barratt, Harron Homes, Wimpey and PJ Livesey although Bloor’s were the major house builder for the new Wadsley Park estate which was constructed on the site of the old hospital. The Wadsley Park village consists of a mixture of houses and apartments of various sizes. Some of the old hospital structures were designated as listed buildings, the main admin block (the clock tower), Kingswood ward, the church and the porters lodge were all grade II listed and could not be demolished with the rest of the hospital.
      The administration building and clock tower were converted into 38 luxury apartments by Urbani after permission to demolish the building was denied and the building is now known as Middlewood Lodge. The Kingswood ward has been converted into 85 apartments by developers PJ Livesey and is known as Kingswood Hall. The porter's lodge on Middlewood Road has been refurbished and is now a nursery. The hospital church has been derelict for many years, it held its last service on 6 November 1996 to mark the closure of the hospital. In March 2012 plans were submitted by architectural design consultancy Coda Studios that may see the imposing Victorian church converted into a mixture of town houses and apartments. The scheme which needs approval from Sheffield City Council also contains proposals for a selection of partially underground eco-friendly bungalows beneath the building.

The Explore 

Visited with @hamtagger , we had allready been on one explore in Sheffield and were running out of daylight hours so needed one that wasn't going to take long. I had seen the post @Paulpowers had posted on this little chapel and liked the look of it. 
      Not much left to it really but what I did see was nice. The initial thought I had when seeing it was it looked like a really gloomy church. Almost hidden beneath greenery you could see the spire and top poking out as we approached. Entry was relatively easy. The ground had been dug out inside with channels in between each Column. I am assuming they do this to see what the foundations are like. Actually I didn't assume this. HT told me and I just thought it would make me a little more intelligent haha! 
      The structure is pretty sound, quite sad to see how much graf and vandalism this place has had. It's always quite sad to see someone deface the 'house of god'. Not that I am religious or anything but more respectful if anything. 
      There are some wonderful stained glass windows in here, especially the one which was placed in there just after World War II. Anyway, not much left to say on this place. 

1: The Exterior 

2: The inside looking back from the Altar 

3: 

4: 

5: The right Transept windows 

6: The remains of the Organ 

7: The Original flooring, mostly covered in Pigeon Shit 

8: One of the few remaining Stained Glass windows 

9: The part I liked the most, still 100% intact too. A little slice of history

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!