Merryprankster

Belgium Central Station - July - 2015

Roight so most of these angles you will have already seen courtesy of mr raw but i figured id chuck mine up all the same. What an epic place! seriously lucky to have had the opportunity to get up here and see thie amazing building, big thanks to the guys in antwerp for sorting this out- you know who you are ;) and big thanks to raw for liaising with the antwerp guys and making this possible! there is a few of the public interior thrown in aswell just to give an idea of the place as a whole, stupidly the only external i have is on film so might have to throw it up later maybe. such good fun running around the roof walkways with tripod in one hand and a beer in the other, couldn't think of a better way to spend the evening, loved looking down through the grill of the walkway and seeing all the people in the station below wandering around completely oblivious to us little scamps upstairs! Awesome once in a lifetime shizzle :) explored with raw, curiousgeorge and my ol mate jane.

Bit of history

The Antwerp Central Station is one of the world's most impressive railway stations. Dubbed the 'Railway Cathedral', it is one of the main landmarks in Antwerp.

Central Station, Antwerp

Central Station

The railway station was built between 1895 and 1905 and replaced a wooden train station built in 1854 by engineer Auguste Lambeau.

Today the whole complex is over 400 meters (1300ft) long and has two entrances, a historic domed building at the Astrid square and a modern atrium at the Kievit square.

There are three levels of tracks and a shopping center which includes a diamond gallery with more than thirty diamond shops.

The domed building

The monumental main building was designed by the Bruges architect L. Delacenserie. It has a huge dome and eight smaller towers of which six were demolished during the 1950s. Fortunately, these were reconstructed in 2009 Clock and Antwerp Coat of Arms, Central Station, Antwerp

Station interior

together with several ornaments including large lion statues.

The rich interior is lavishly decorated with more than twenty different kinds of marble and stone. The main hall and the railway cafeteria can match the interiors of many palaces. Not a single square meter either inside or outside the building is not decorated.

The train shed

Antwerp Central Station Interior

The platforms are covered by a huge iron and glass vaulted ceiling, which was restored in the 1990s. Besides the platform, the vault also covers many of the small diamond and gold shops, which are part of the diamond district next to the Central Station.

The huge glass vault was designed by the architect J. Van Asperen. It is 185 meters long and 44 meters at its highest point. The original platform and tracks themselves are elevated, the two lower levels were added later to accommodate the high speed train connection to Amsterdam.

few internals to start

19037656504_7c291a155b_b.jpg

19841898261_84125f9ae5_b.jpg

19829679012_d1e592ab0e_b.jpg

19837027205_c0bbf1522d_b.jpg

19216128603_52a073e553_b.jpg

and the awesomeness of the roof!

19829626242_6660e350bd_b.jpg

19810769876_aacc9fc8b4_b.jpg

19810781486_c65cdf1a09_b.jpg

spot the raw?!

19810795596_f6e2515cd8_b.jpg

19216093363_b220060df1_b.jpg

19829610162_005f4ce584_b.jpg

thanks for looking kids!

Edited by Merryprankster

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cranked side
      Hello all! Time for my second post here.. This time something different again then my previous one.
      Last Sunday a friend and i had no clue what to do.. So we've left somewhat late in the morning to this "little-big" slatemine, that i still had to visit..
      It used to be a bigger mine back in the days , but due to flooded levels and collapses that happend during the years, only a small bit of it is still explorable.
      Complete darkness once you've turned off the flashlight, and only the noise of water falling on the floor.
      Still some equipment was left inside this mine... i wonder what the flooded levels have left.. It looks like their have been divers in there before..
      Spend 3hours and a half inside of the mine.. Once outside we where back in the snow ! Was actually way warmer inside of it then outside
      Was a bit difficult lighting out all the pictures, but the end result is good afterall

Anyway one great piece of history!

Light in the darkness by Laurens Dufour, on Flickr

• By Andy
      The well-known 18th century building was once the central administration of a nearby steelworks.

Visited with @The_Raw , @extreme_ironing & @Maniac.

• By franconiangirl
      Recently, I´ve visited "Mold House". Of course, more than well-known. When I first set my eyes on pictures of that house with its amazing colours and its state of decay, I instantly fell in love. I´m glad I could fulfill my dream of visiting that place. I especially loved the pink colour of the armchairs being sokaed into the carpet. 

• By prettypeculiar
      The Godarville tunnel was a boatunnel and has a length of 1050 meters. 

In order to overcome the enormous differences in height on the Charleroi-Brussels canal, many locks were built in the Samme valley between Ronquières and Seneffe and a 1267 m long tunnel was built :  La Bête tunnel.
      Soon there was a need for a canal with a larger capacity and between 1854 and 1857 the canal was enlarged for vessels up to 350 tons.
      The old tunnel, however, formed a bottleneck and so it was replaced by the new tunnel of Godarville. As a result, the number of locks was limited to 30. After the Second World War it was decided to make the canal navigable for ships up to 1350 tons.
      Since neither the Samme nor the tunnel of Godarville could make this enlargement, a new route had to be built between Ronquières and Godarville. . The tunnel is closed with large metal gates on both sides to keep the cold  out during the winter. On the south side, in the tunnel next to the canal, there is a towpath on which the horses towed the boats.
      Dimensions
      length: 1050 m
      width: 8 m
      maximum ship width: 5 m
      maximum draft: 2.1 m

• By MiaroDigital
      A small but nice chapelle in Belgium...

Chapelle D M 01 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Chapelle D M 02 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Chapelle D M 03 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Chapelle D M 04 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Chapelle D M 05 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr