You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Space Invader
      Found this place a ltttle disappointing to start with many of the rooms were plain white wash shells but then i found the staircase. Which made up for what the rest of the place lacked right on with the pics ...
      a little history...
      Thanet Place was a large mansion with gardens overlooking the sea, previously owned by the “Beef Baron�, Sir Edmund Vesty, which was 400 yards away from the old home. This catered for 24 residential & 20 day care children. All the suitable furniture & fittings were bought to the new house, even the memorial clock which ticked away for many years in the entrance hall of the old St Marys, was given pride of place in the new entrance hall. Though considerably smaller the new premises even had its own chapel.
      in 1982 Kent County Council withdrew its financial support for the Home claiming that at £1,600 per week it was too expensive to use, & refused to send anymore children there. A massive protest campaign to save St Marys from closure was backed by the Archbishop & Dean of Canterbury, the Bishops of Maidstone & Dover, plus social workers & head teachers, all supported by a petition of 4,000 signatures. Even the Queen Mother expressed sympathy in a letter, but St Marys finally closed in 1983, & downsized once again, and the house was made into an old peoples home ...

thanks for looking
    • By Nelly
      Once owned by Essex MP John Archer Houblon from 1810 to 1820 and a descendant of the first governor of the Bank of England this has been on the buildings at risk register for several years.
      The following was taken from The Essex Chronicle.
      Despite the roof missing a quarter of its tiles and the attic windows being broken and open to the elements, locals say Mrs Jill Rigler still lives there.
      The Riglers bought the house from agents Cheale in 1995.
      On several occasions when the Chronicle called, only the growling of a guard dog through a cat flap indicated residency, and the stable block was in use.
      A neighbour said: "We get a lot of people knocking here to see if the place is for sale. We long to see it reinstated. Mrs Rigler is a very private person."
      Allen Buckroyd, Baddow's village historian, surveyed the property in 2004 and was shocked this week to see how it has deteriorated since then.
      Sad place "Compared to the photograph taken in 1925 it is a sad place," he said.
      "It used to be vibrant then with garden parties around the lake.
      "Now I can only conclude someone is biding their time to have the whole place covered with houses because there is a plan to so develop a field on the other side of the road."

The this from a later edition of The Essex Chronicle
      THE former mansion home of a 19th century Chelmsford MP has been saved by a property developer. Neglected Pitt Place in Great Baddow - top of the county's at risk register two years ago - has been rescued by Douglas Carroll, who runs property developer Newells in Moulsham Street, Chelmsford.
      For years the mansion was owned by teacher Jill Rigler until Newells bought it with plans to return to its "regency glory".
      Baddow historian Allen Buckroyd, who watched the building deteriorate rapidly since 2004, said: "It's a house worthy of a lord of the manor and now it seems it can start looking like it again.
      "It is the most wonderful piece of heritage, with stately rooms and panelled ceilings.
      Mrs Rigler's son, John, said: "My mother had owned the property since 1990 but has never been in the position to take care of it in the manner it deserves.
      "My mother is a very private person who sadly chose to batten down the hatches and hoped the problem would go away.
      "We would have sorely loved to approach a body for a grant of some sort but would not have known where to start."

In the garden near the lake was a thatched single roomed summer house

• By Nelly
      Copford Place is a 18th century Grade II listed building in the village of Copford, 5 miles west of Colchester
      British History Online has this to say about it.....
      "Apparently late 17th century, a two storeyed, sevenbayed, doublepile house that forms the south range of Copford Place; it contains a chimneypiece dated 1698 and other fittings of about that date. The house probably then faced the road and was of red brick like the stable to the north. In the early 19th century the house was extended northeast by two bays to create an east entrance and given plain classical white brick fa¸ades. In 1947 it was converted into private accommodation for elderly people, and in 1980 taken over by Help the Aged which in 1998 refurbished the house as self contained flats"
      Explored this place straight after a Laurel and Hardy style explore at Severalls, I came away feeling disappointed with this house but then I suppose after Severalls then this was like a polished turd!!
      Sorry for the flash photos, it was boarded top and bottom

In the attic room we found a squat. It was very tidy with no damage. It had obviously only been occupied by one person, there was a sleeping bag, his shoes, saucepans, a CD player etc. The sell by dates on the food wrappers went back to 2009, I felt sorry for the guy, I think that he may have come back to find the place boarded and fenced with all his gear inside.

The Barn - This is also a Grade II listed building

• By Andy
      These are my first "real" (conscious / aware) Photos from an abandoned place.
      I've took them 23 years ago, in 1991 (I'm getting old ... ).
      It was an abandoned mansion with a chapel in Trier / Germany (today it is restored).
      The image quality is not very good. But I think it might be interesting to see my old photos from that time.

14 - Perfect shoes and clothes for Urban Exploration ...

• By schräglage
      A very nice place with a sad past: an abandoned crematorium