urbexdevil

Cambridge Regional War Room (RSG4) - September 2015

En route back from RAF Upwood we decided to stop by Cambridge’s Regional War Room, aka RSG4 after developing a somewhat large fascination of bunkers. I was almost not going to bother uploading this due to a lack of pictures and lack of entry at all, however as there are no reports on this place at all anyway here is what I did get along with some history on the place…

The two storey blockhouse is located in its own very secure compound at the rear of the Government offices site in Brooklands Avenue on the outskirts of Cambridge. It is surrounded by a 10ft high fence topped with barbed wire. This bunker was originally built as a regional war room identical to the one at Shirley in Birmingham but had an extension added to it later when it became RSG4.

20150913_150643.jpg

20150913_150649.jpg

20150913_151129.jpg

20150913_151151-1024x576.jpg

20150913_151200-1024x576.jpg

Certainly worth a look and looks like someone has had a pop at squeezing through that vent in the door already!

Thought about it myself and even for a skinny bugger like me I wouldn't have fit haha...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Vief
      Just a small little engine room. Don't know where it was used for. 
      Didn't really feel comfortable overthere, so I missed a few little spots, but hey, there was a happy face 

• By FarOutAdventure
      The Murphy Ranch is a ranch built in Rustic Canyon, Los Angeles in the 1930s by Winona and Norman Stephens,who were sympathizers of the Silver Legion of America.The owner of record in 1933 was Jessie M. Murphy. Designed as a base for Nazi activities in the U.S.,[4] it was intended to be capable of being self-sustaining for long periods. The compound had a water storage tank, a fuel tank, a bomb shelter, and various outbuildings and bunkers. The estate's main gate was designed by Paul Williams, a well-known African-American architect in the Southern California area.

• By WildBoyz
      History

Radio interferometry started in Cambridge in the mid-1940s, with funding provided by Mullard Limited and the Science Research Council. Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory, which is located at Lord’s Bridge, Cambridgeshire, was founded by Sir Martin Ryle, an English radio astronomer, and was opened by Sir Edward Victor Appleton, an English physicist, in 1957. Altogether, the entire site comprises several large aperture synthesis radio telescopes; some of these include the ‘one-mile telescope’, the ‘5km Ryle Telescope’ and the ‘Arcminute Microkelvin Imager’.

The site this report is based on; an active telescope, is known as the AMI Large Array (the antennas of the Archminute Microkelvin Imager Large Array). This section of the facility is made up of ‘eight 12.8 metre diameter, equatorially mounted parabolic antennas’ (whatever that means) which were formerly part of the Ryle Telescope. Each of the antennas are separated by distances which range between 18 and 110m. This particular piece of equipment, including all of the antennas, was built by the Cavendish Astrophysics Group. It was designed to study galaxy clusters ‘by observing secondary anisotropies in the cosmic microwave background arising from the Sunyaev-Zel’dovich (SZ) effect’… which obviously makes perfect sense to us laypeople. In other words, then, the AMI array is used to observe radiation, particularly that with frequencies between 12 and 18 GHz. The telescopes can, therefore, be used to determine the masses and temperatures of certain known galaxy clusters. We could go on, seeking more answers about the universe, electrons, kinematic effects, cosmic microwave background radiation and inverse Compton scattering, but my knowledge acquired from the internet is dwindling fast…

Our Version of Events

Now for something a little more understandable. It was raining heavily as we approached Cambridge, so heavy in fact the rain was bouncing off the road as if it were hailstone. This didn’t stop us from noticing, and quickly admiring, those tidy thatched roofed houses you folk have down below our northern borders mind. We realised, of course, that we can only dream of such things as we rolled through the various quaint villages of Cambridgeshire in our small sort-of-orange-coloured three door wader-smelling Toyota.

After driving past it twice – quite clearly the low lying cloud must have obscured our visibility – we eventually spotted the Mullard Observatory from the roadside. Wasting no more time we peddled our beasty little orange machine into a grassy verge as fast as we could. It was too slight and slender to sink in the mud, and bold enough for other drivers to notice, so we concluded we were fine to park there. From the road, though, we faced our biggest challenge of the day: a gruelling field crossing. Normally us Northerners are used to a bit of farmland, but we found these flat Southern plains incredibly flat and wet. Our trainers squelched loudly as we plodded through mud and rather large puddles which are conspicuously missing in all our photographs. “This wouldn’t happen in our fields” we grumbled to one another; we understand the concept of a hill. All in all it was a miserable experience.

Eventually we reached the other side of the very flat field. We’d battled the elements and had paid the price. We were soaking. With nothing left to lose we made our way up to the fence line of the observatory and, ignoring the CCTV signs and other terrifying deterrents, found a way into the site to seek shelter beneath the giant dishes. At that point in time I was less impressed that these structures can detect cosmic radiation, I was simply thankful they’re shaped a little like giant umbrellas. We tried out best to grab a few decent shots, but decided to leave again after ten minutes due to the weather. Originally we had intended to have a wee climb up a couple of the antennas. At the time, however, our decision was unanimous: “fuck that shit”. There was none of our usual fannying around on our return to the car; for once we arrived somewhere earlier than we’d anticipated. And that, then, concludes our twenty minute stop off in Cambridge: it’s wet, muddy, flat, has nice thatched rooves and a sweet observatory.

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Box and Husky.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

• By Otchie
      Hi guys been a year and i haven't even posted this one this was a fun splore to do, went with @Miss-Anthrope.

And the journey began leaving the house at 5 in the morning on a cold winter day to get to this place (the ''Bleeding doors'' were priority today) we arrived at 7:30 managed to see security doing the morning patrol so we waited in the car until we couldn't see him and presumed he had finished his job for the morning, we then climbed the hill and guess who was coming out the door.......................................................... that's right the security guard (being way to thorough for my liking), but lucky for us he had his back to us and was turned around locking a door. We ninja'd past him and into the building we knew where the access point was and we were going right on track until wait oh, bugger its sealed!! After another little scout, and my eagle eye, there was another way! leg ups, a bit of mud and a squeeze but in we go..... Hope you enjoy the pics

I wont bore you with the history as this place has been done a lot.

7. 2nd time we see this guy 

hope you enjoy it  

• By Pinkman
      The History

I don't think there's a need to add this bit, everyone knows this old chestnut!

The Explore

Myself, Vixxie & Upright Ninjer began our travels early one Saturday morning. We knew this explore was going to be a bit of a gamble, as we only had a half baked idea of an entry point, the fact that this one was part of a live site made things that bit more precarious. We pulled up in a discrete location, kitted up & made our way through the housing area in search of our way in. As we were walking through I knew we were close, as I could see the clock tower of the main building, silhouetted in the moonlight. This got us fired up & we pushed on to get out of sight before it got light. We searched around for what seemed like ages, & each of the possible entry points that I had earmarked from Google maps had drawn a blank. We were running out of options, & clutching at straws I suggested that we try a possible way through (won’t go into any details there). I hopped over some cast iron railings, which had some of the sharpest, nastiest spikes on them. I made my way through the hoards of bushes & brambles, & sure enough I saw what looked like a way onto the site. After we all got over, & after a rather creative means of entry we were in.

At this point we were on edge, as we had heard all sorts of stories about the site being guarded by Ghurkas. We treaded carefully over to the entry point, which on closer inspection was up more of a challenge than what I had seen on the “how to” video I had seen on YT (I shit you not, someone posted an entry video). I was sceptical as to whether it would be still be open, & low & behold, it was sealed up.

Word to the not so wise, there are people other than explorers that view these vids. It’s not a good idea to disclose said information via social media, all it does is gets places locked up!

We weren’t having much luck, with every window & door being firmly barred. Not wanting to be walking along a long exposed path, we decided to duck into a little side building for a while. Nothing really worth looking at in there, we had a mooch about & went back down the side of the building. We got to the corner & quickly realised that we weren’t alone on site! In a Secca type office across from where we were, there was a group of demolition workers getting a briefing from their manager. Knowing that we were basically pinned down, I decided to take a look at a possible route past down by the mortuary. I worked my way through yet more brambles, & after a fashion I found a way through. I wanted to take a look at the mortuary building as well, but after seeing what a fucked condition it was in, I soon moved on. On making my way back I heard an almighty siren going off. I picked up the pace to get back to Vixxie & Ninjer to find out what had happened. Turns out it was the “get to work horn”, like the opening scene to the Flintstones! As soon as that happened the place was a scene of activity, with one guy getting into a grabber type vehicle which began pulling apart the building we were stood next to.

Tracing my steps back to the mortuary, we chose our moment & made a break for it around the side. We made it past the workers & into a hole in the side of the Maternity building. Not knowing whether we were alone here, & from a past “letting our guard down too quickly” fail, we treaded very cautiously. Turns out it was pretty alright, with most of our noises being shrouded by the guys tearing buildings down nearby. We found one of the classic rooms, & began taking shots of the lamps of other bits of tasty decay. I took an interest to an area that had been cordoned off, with some rather nice looking foliage growing inside. I failed to notice the area beneath my feet which was marked in green paint. On standing on it, my bodyweight caused it to sink. Ninjer turned around to me & warned “Don't you stand on that!” As we made our way through the place we found whole areas that were basically off limits, with green spray across the floor in large patches.

After exhausting all of the goodies that the upper floor had to offer, we made our way downstairs. Walking the corridors, I noticed a feature I recognized but I didn’t know where from. There were streaks of paint running down the windows & panels, in shades of red & copper. Then it hit me, the bleeding doors! I opened up the double doors to find a blank room, to which I was rather puzzled by. It was only when I took a step in the room that I looked back & found them, quite easily missed.

Along one of the long passageways we found our way into another of the buildings. It wasn’t all that interesting, with a lot of the rooms looking pretty much the same. We did find a black board which had a list of all the usual suspects scrawled across it in chalk. We wanted to add our own little bit to it, but could we find any chalk......could we bollocks!

We stopped in here & had a spot of lunch, before making our way out. We made a decision at this point to call it a day, as the way around the front had workers pacing about, & we didn’t fancy turning what was a nice explore into a nasty confrontation which Secca. We didn’t get to see everything, but we had a laugh & got some good shots, which is a win in my book.

The Photos

01)

02)

03)

04)

05)

06)

07)

08)

09)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!