Redhunter

Mailbox tunnel. September 2015.

History

Up until the late 60's, the royal mail parcel and lettering sorting offices were based in two buildings on Victoria Square, connected by a bridge spanning Hill Street, where they had been housed for almost 80 years. In 1970, a new, purpose-built, sorting office was constructed on the site of a former railway goods yard, adjacent to canal wharfs of the Birmingham and Worcester canal.Not only was it the largest building in Birmingham at the time, it was also the largest mechanised letters and parcels sorting office in the country. Coincident to this, the House of Commons passed a bill allowing an underground connection to be made between the new sorting office and New Street Station. A 400m long tunnel was constructed beneath Severn Street, which extended the existing underground tunnels at the station that already connected to the Victorian sorting office on Victoria Square.Upon completion, small electric trucks known as 'brutes' were able to pull cages full of mailbags straight off the trains, along the secure passageway, directly into the impenetrable structure of the sorting office.From there a network of lifts, chutes and conveyor belts distributed the mail through the building.It is rumoured that because the link was so secure, jewellers across the city would post their diamonds to themselves on a Friday evening, as it was cheaper than storing them in a vault over the weekend. Some of the other remaining mail tunnels, which sit below the platforms of New Street Station, are to be reopened as staff tunnels, allowing fast access from one side of the new station to the other. In 2011, the building was sold to Brockton Capital in a joint venture with Milligan and is currently undergoing renovation works, due to complete in spring 2015. These works represent another new chapter for the site.

The Visit

I got given a great opportunity to see these tunnels, so I headed down with a non member and we had a great time. Although it was only one tunnel, you had a great sense of what actually went on years ago. It was good to do something underground, as i'm usually up high or inside a hospital/manor :cool::D. only thing i'd have to say about this place is it was abit weird to see parts of a huge Christmas tree down there!

IMG_9137_HDR_zpsvgv0fcze.jpg

IMG_9144_HDR_zpse9eznoii.jpg

IMG_9147_HDR_zpsurodje2v.jpg

IMG_9153_HDR_zpseysbra93.jpg

Thanks for looking:cool:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By prettypeculiar
      The Godarville tunnel was a boatunnel and has a length of 1050 meters. 

In order to overcome the enormous differences in height on the Charleroi-Brussels canal, many locks were built in the Samme valley between Ronquières and Seneffe and a 1267 m long tunnel was built :  La Bête tunnel.
      Soon there was a need for a canal with a larger capacity and between 1854 and 1857 the canal was enlarged for vessels up to 350 tons.
      The old tunnel, however, formed a bottleneck and so it was replaced by the new tunnel of Godarville. As a result, the number of locks was limited to 30. After the Second World War it was decided to make the canal navigable for ships up to 1350 tons.
      Since neither the Samme nor the tunnel of Godarville could make this enlargement, a new route had to be built between Ronquières and Godarville. . The tunnel is closed with large metal gates on both sides to keep the cold  out during the winter. On the south side, in the tunnel next to the canal, there is a towpath on which the horses towed the boats.
      Dimensions
      length: 1050 m
      width: 8 m
      maximum ship width: 5 m
      maximum draft: 2.1 m

• By Rob Adventures
      Located In Columbus Ohio. Very popular urbex place.

• By Rob Adventures
      Hello everyone. I was refereed to join the forum from the Facebook group. Im from Ohio, USA and have followed urban exploring for a while. Recently I started getting out and doing it myself. I mainly film videos and post them on youtube but I also take pictures when I'm scouting new areas. I was out the other day scouting an area and took some pictures. I'm looking forward to going back.

• By Wevsky
      A revisit was in order with Obscurity,Fortknox0 and frosty and this time Space Invader joined us for a look around
      This is looking back along the Arp (tower hamlets tunnel) just before lagoon caves

Section leading to the tower hamlets tunnel from the lagoon caves

Now a few from in lagoon caves

Toilet block at the end of the caves

Back into the main tunnel looking towards the bricked wall just before the builders rubbish blockage

Another toilet block in beaufoy’s caves

Looking down just after the long crawl over broken shower doors and rotten wood

Now sealed passage into the workshop area beyond this was obviously still in use

That was that nice to visit the place again!!