Bam Boostick

[UK] Kinmel Hall -Rhyl, North Wales

Came across this one; Kinmel Hall near Rhyl - North Wales. Not too far from me so I'm going to do a little research about reaching the place via public transport (unfortunately I don't drive..).

kinmel1.jpg

Some history on the Hall:

http://docs.novaloca.com/165_20062_634595428790297892.pdf

The article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/architecture/kinmel-hall-the-welsh-versailles-lies-derelict-and-unloved--who-will-come-to-its-rescue-10502644.html?cmpid=facebook-post

AKA cuckoo hall :)

A few reports from here about a year ago, I spent pretty much all night here with session9 trying to obtain access. Found 3 separate ways into the building only to find it was sealed tight as a nuns internally preventing access to the main building :(

Hopefully it'll open up again at some point

Oh! This is the "Cuckoo Hall"? I got all excited thinking that I'd found some virgin site; the holy grail of urban locations! I've read mixed reports of how easy access is, from virtually open access to like you said, locked up tight. I'm guessing with the recent media attention right now it's going to be the latter. I remember when I lived in Sunderland and Cherry Knowles was in the paper due to inbreds trashing the place - I went to check it out and there was no chance of gaining any access whatsoever!

I went in here about a year ago, entrance was tight as far as i remember and the central staircase (the best bit) was sealed off!!

Also there is the most annoying alarm system in the world, no siren, just "You are tresspassing on private property, the police have been notified" on repeat :thumb

Sounds like a car alarm I once heard: "Step away from the vehicle, or I'll break your legs!"

Thats usually what i sound like with the little scroats who live round me...

There seems to be a lot of increased activity at this place recently: owners, agents, groundsmen etc etc

If the main staircase is sealed then to be honest its not really worth bothering, photos wise. A couple of nice rooms and hundreds of empty ones :-?

Interesting how the codenames for this place came about a good couple of years after it was first posted on many forums by it's real name :confused:

Thats because people have to be Ub3r El1t3

To be fair, it just adds to the fascination and awe for some people.

Thats because people have to be Ub3r El1t3

To be fair, it just adds to the fascination and awe for some people.

Very true. I found it mildly amusing. It's a beautiful place if only for that grand staircase, I hope something is done to save it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gromr123
      This one required an early start, but the morning adventure to The Kings Hall was worth the effort. Visited with Zombizza. 

History
      "Located in Southall, Middlesex, in the west of Greater London. The King’s Hall was built in 1916 and was designed by architect Sir Alfred Gelder of Hull. The King’s Hall building has a 3-storey red brick and stone facade. It was operated by the Uxbridge and Southall Wesleyan Mission and it was soon screening religious films.
      By 1926, it was operating as a regular cinema, still managed by the Methodist church.
      The King’s Hall Cinema was closed in 1937. It then reverted back to a Methodist Church use as the King’s Hall Methodist Church. They vacated the building in January 2013"

The Explore
      Started nice and early, and managed our entrance fairly incident free...if we don't count the massive tear in my trousers..
      It's a pretty spectacular place with a wonderful blend of natural decay and marvelous original features/architecture. With little to no daylight, we decided to wonder round the back rooms while the sun came up before the spending too much time on the main attraction, the large auditorium. 
      The rooms around the back are a weird mix of new and old, some of them being more disgusting than others. One room was so pungent that I took 2 steps in before bailing out. 
      There was also one room that was filled with beds, old food packets and needles. Looked a few years old, but squatters for sure. 
      The larger rooms consisted of meeting rooms, prayer rooms and teaching rooms. All of them had funky wavy flooring where the wooden floor tiles had expanded with moisture.
      Eventually the sun came up and the auditorium started to flood with the golden morning light.
      After a few hours we left, although the exit was hilariously unsubtle.

Photos

The Auditorium

• By 8ReDRuM

• By TheBaronof Scotland
      hi
      Very quick smash and grab splore as I had an hour to kill this PM.
      The place was ravaged by fire at some point and not much is left, the tower was what i wanted but as you will see the staircase is long gone.
      Splored with Scattergun, good catching up mate, nothing like a "can you be here 15 mins" phone call

• By Fatpanda
      what a lovely find this one was, gonna keep this really short as i am using the on screen keyboard haha
      thanks.

thanks guys
    • By Lavino
      Visited the hall many times. The hall is pretty much falling down with most floors and staircases collapsed. The place has lots of history and is surrounded by many farmers fields who keep watch over the hall. Any a guy on a quad bike who patrols the estate with a shotgun strapped to it . Still a great place to visit so on with a few pics and history..
      Winstanley Hall was built around 1580 for the Winstanley family. It is a Grade II listed building and also listed as a Ancient Scheduled Monument. The Winstanleys owned this Elizabethan Hall until 1596, when the estate was sold to James Bankes, a London goldsmith and banker. Extra blocks were added in the 17th and 18th centuries. Further and extensive alterations were made in 1811-19 by Lewis Wyatt in a Jacobean style.. To the south, on lands belonging to the hall, is a small stone building which was used to house bears that provided entertainment for the hall's guests
      The stable court and other buildings to the side of the main house are a prize example of English eccentricity, designed with a heady mix of Norman, Tudor and Baroque motifs. They were built by Meyrick Bankes II a colourful character who travelled extensively in Europe and America and adorned his grounds with statues of animals and monsters
      The Bankes family retained ownership of the hall until the 21st century when it was sold for private development. The hall had been kept in good condition until the 1960s when habitation stopped. As the building decayed and the cost of maintaining Winstanley Hall was too much for the family it was sold on and any intended plans for redevelopment have failed leaving the building to decay rapidly.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!