The_Raw

Other The Guoson Centre, Beijing - October 2015

Dongzhimen is Asia’s largest transportation hub, connecting 3 subway lines, buses, the airport express, and the Second Ring Road. The Guoson Centre aimed to take advantage of this with a 600,000 square metre space including a transport interchange, retail mall, five-star luxury hotel, two office towers and residential apartments. However a long term equity dispute lasting 7 years has meant the complex remains unfinished and accumulating debts. The exteriors of the buildings look all but finished from a distance but they are just empty shells.

I visited here with a couple of friends on my recent holiday with the intention of scaling one of the abandoned 35 storey twin towers. Unfortunately we were spotted by a nosey neighbour who shouted for security so we had to make do with one of the smaller buildings in the complex instead. Still, at 20 storeys high the views were pretty decent and it was nice to look down on somewhere a bit different from London. There are much bigger skyscrapers than this under construction but I am told they have workers on site 24 hours a day. The unfinished mall was just concrete floors and pillars, I didn't bother getting my camera out as it was dark but I reckon it would definitely be worth a daytime visit as it's pretty huge. The amount of unfinished construction projects in China is astounding, apparently it's quite common there to build the shells of buildings and forget about them for a few years. It's certainly a fast developing country.

22053235939_69c03736c8_b.jpg

2. My first chance to have a play with my new fish eye up high

22250593281_39841cc533_b.jpg

22240109095_371a2823a0_b.jpg

22052348858_bd4f057cea_b.jpg

22052353628_02c4c43c30_b.jpg

6. Working through the night

21619124283_2cd3aecfef_b.jpg

22214072696_fb2622b29d_b.jpg

22240174305_f16313fe68_b.jpg

9. Part of the unfinished mall is visible in the bottom left of the shot

22214064546_02fb49ca69_b.jpg

22214060846_6911dab17f_b.jpg

11. The abandoned twin towers

22250561631_a4dd520ac6_c.jpg

21617386714_73d240703f_b.jpg

13. Raffles City, a roaring success of a similar complex down the road

21619099783_e108db23ca_b.jpg

14. Totally staged 'looking hard and covering my identity' UE selfie

21617335784_11d966f661_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Edited by The_Raw

Cheers for the comments

Also, why are those twin towers abandoned? What were they?

They were going to be office blocks until there was a financial dispute between two construction companies 7 years ago and the project has been stalled ever since

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The_Raw
      Another visit from October with @Andy, @Maniacand@extreme_ironing. From seeing Andy's report I missed quite a few bits but you can't see everything unless you spend the whole day down there. Another epic bit of WW2 history and there's lots more out there.   

Ouvrage Mont des Welches, a gros ouvrage of the Maginot Line fortifications, is part of the Fortified Sector of Boulay. It comprises two entrance blocks, one infantry block, one artillery block, one observation block and two combination blocks. The underground gallery system is compact, about 200 metres (660 ft) from end to end, and unlike larger ouvrages where the gallery system is linear in concept, the central portion of Mont des Welches is a dense network of tunnels crossing one another, housing the barracks and utility areas. The galleries are excavated at an average depth of up to 30 metres (98 ft). Unlike most gros ouvrages, its 60 cm internal rail network was not electrified, relying on human power to move the rail cars. Relatively small for a gros ouvrage, Mont des Welches saw a brief period of sharp action in June 1940, when German forces moving along the rear of the Maginot Line engaged the position without success. The manning of the ouvrage in June 1940 comprised 490 men and 17 officers of the 167th Fortress Infantry Regiment and the 151st Position Artillery Regiment. After modest renovations in the 1950s, it was abandoned in the 1970s.

Bon journée  
    • By Ghost-Scooter
      Welcome to the Grand Hotel S. which was built from 1840 to 1842. It closed its doors in 1999 and is abandoned since. 

DSC05761 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05762 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05763 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05787 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05744 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05745 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05746 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05747 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05748 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05751 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05752 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05753 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05755 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05756 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05766 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05773 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05776 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05777-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05779 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05771-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05769-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05783-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
    • By The_Raw
      This fortress was constructed by the Germans from 1907-1914. It served German soldiers during the First World War but saw little action. Then it was occupied by the French between 1919 & 1940, where it was incorporated into the maginot line for WWII. After the departure of French troops in June 1940, the German army took back the fort. On September 2, 1944, it was declared a fortress of the Reich by Hitler. The stronghold must therefore be defended until the last extremity by German troops, whose chiefs all took an oath to the Führer. In October 1944, the fort was captured by the American 3rd Army in the Battle of Metz.

Definitely one of the best military sites I've visited yet. Amazing to think it served both WWI & WWII yet remains in such good condition today. There are dozens of murals dating back over a century, and 1,700m of tunnels connecting various sections. I had to be dragged away as I could have spent a week in here. Visited with @Maniac @extreme_ironing and @Andy.

"Flourish German fatherland"

"Cameroon child in Munich" / "Man does not agree"

"Booze kills, so do not drink so much!" (or something to that effect....)

"Beautiful is the recruit life"

"Whoever quarrels or rushes gets the hell out of it"

"May God punish England" 

Thanks for looking y'all
    • By franconiangirl
      I have hardly any information about this former boarding school. Apparently it was an institute for boys only. The building is in a decaying state. Fortunately, the vandalism isn´t too bad so far. The size of this insitution almost kills you. It´s very emotional to explore this part of history, when obviously a stong religious belief was one of the most important parts of education. 

As already mentioned above, this institution was huge. It´s picturesquely embedded between hills. It consisted not only of numerous dormitories and classrooms but its own chapel  and infirmary - with rusty bed frames and old medical stuff left behind - as well. You´ll find traces of religious importance again and again, for example old images of saints - to remind you over and over about the importance of a strong belief that was once an omnipresent theorem in this institution. Let the pictures speak for themselves. 

• By The_Raw
      The first stop on a recent trip to France and Luxembourg with @Andy. A former limestone mine in France, later used during WW2 for the production of oxygen. Quite a small  mine and mostly flooded but there were some nice photos to be had. 

Thanks for looking