coolboyslim

UK St John the evangelist Church - DEC 2015

Hi all a nice new report from me on a recent explore. This is a cracking little church with some awesome stuff still left and very photographic. And seeing has its close to christmas this seems like a good time to do it and post it. Some awesome stuff here like the tower and the bell. In what i coulden't resist to ring hell ive always wantd to have a go. But bloody hell its a lot louder than ya think lol. And that was via a little tap. Anyways met a few people here not to many just 4. So all in all was not to bad was expecting a coach to be here to be honest lol. So went with the missus and she loved every bit of it. It was a great place indeed not sure how much longer she got has wont be long before kids etc start to fook her up but for now shes a stunner. I'm sure you all going to like this one. Picked a cracking day for this has it was the village christmas party. So everone was busy. Can see why its stood the test of youth etc has its in an incredibly viewable place where loads of people can see what ya up to. And homes built right next to it practicaly on the ground lol. Anyways armed with a new camera thx to @ACID-REFLUX off we went. I would also like to add that the climb up the tower is a bitch and bloody narrow. The only shot i seem to have missed is that of the organ. Not to bad a loss has its in semi decent condition not sure how i forgot. Also there is a basement but a fat ass like me cant fit lol. And there is electric and water still on in this place. And has a word of caution in the tower the floors are in an extremely bad way. Major butt tightning.

History :

St John's was built between 1890 and 1892 to a design by the Lancaster architects Paley, Austin and Paley. The estimated cost of the church was �6,800 but, because of problems with the foundations, its final cost, including the fittings, was nearer to �12,000 (�1,170,000 in 2015). It provided seating for 616 people.Financial donations towards the site and structure of the church were made by Thomas Brooks, 1st Baron Crawshaw of Crawshaw Hall. Because of diminishing numbers attending the church, and because of thefts of lead from the roof of the church, the congregation has decided to opt for the church to be declared redundant. The church was declared redundant on 20 February 2012.

The church is constructed in sandstone with Yorkshire stone dressings and is roofed in green Cumberland slate. Its architectural style is Perpendicular.[2] The plan consists of a nave and chancel in one range, north and south aisles, a south transept, and a north transept above which rises a tower. A clerestory rises above the aisles along the length of the nave, to the south of the chancel is a chapel, and to its north is a vestry. There is a porch in the westernmost bay of the south aisle, and another porch in the angle of the south transept.[2][6] On each side of the clerestory are ten square-headed two-light windows. The west window has five lights and contains intersecting tracery. Along the aisles are buttresses and two-light windows. The south transept also has buttresses, and a large five-light window containing Perpendicular and curvilinear tracery. The chancel has a large east window with six lights containing Perpendicular tracery. The tower has diagonal corner buttresses that rise to octagonal turrets surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. The summit of the tower has an embattled parapet.[2]

Interior

The interior of the church is lined with red Rainhill sandstone.[6] The five-bay arcades are carried alternately on round and octagonal columns. The chancel arch is high, and has two orders of moulding. There are carved wooden screens between the nave and the chancel, and between the chancel and the north transept. Some of the choir stalls have elaborately carved crocketed canopies containing statues.[2] The reredos dates from the 20th century, and contains statues of the Four Evangelists. The font is hexagonal. In the church are memorials to members of the Brooks family.[6] Inside the tower, and near to the tower, are carved texts from Psalm 148.[5]

The Church of England Commissioners had agreed the sale of the church to a small non trading renewable energy company in 2013. However a planning application was rejected in January 2015, as the plans involved the removal of 80% of the tree's on the site, most of which have Tree Preservation Orders on them. The siting of one 40ft and two 20ft used shipping containers in place of the tree's was also cited by planners the reason for rejecting the scheme.[9][10] As the site has been removed from the Church's list of buildings for sale, its current status is unknown.

PICS:

DSC06187_zpsgjigxl1r.jpg

DSC06185_zpsb9d1ypwx.jpg

DSC06264_zpsskeymxqy.jpg

DSC06243_zps5bcr7ufy.jpg

DSC06191_zpskwral0xv.jpg

DSC06193_zpsg5x6shj0.jpg

DSC06195_zpsbrlda5ts.jpg

DSC06196_zpsae2eitbv.jpg

DSC06197_zpsf1ncivqo.jpg

DSC06200_zpsjnbph1mg.jpg

DSC06202_zpsfwsbldix.jpg

DSC06205_zpstvt37tfq.jpg

DSC06207_zpsq5lqji1n.jpg

DSC06209_zps4ujxwfck.jpg

DSC06212_zpslvwpwtek.jpg

DSC06214_zpsmcybhibe.jpg

DSC06215_zpsywobv0wo.jpg

DSC06218.ARW_zpskrpy8lpd.jpg

DSC06222_zpslyy5wyxd.jpg

Christmas shots lol

DSC06224_zpsucragagn.jpg

DSC06229.ARW_zpsyz6pqxlp.jpg

DSC06232.ARW_zpsyufbyouz.jpg

DSC06240_zpsr12fmcwn.jpg

DSC06254_zps1uzzcy9f.jpg

DSC06265.ARW_zpsn42fmskk.jpg

DSC06267_zps657hebrh.jpg

DSC06268_zpsj01avma1.jpg

The bell .. It goes DONG loudly lol

DSC06276.ARW_zpsdyu7ji8f.jpg

Really pissed at this shot has i really really wanted it. But was major dark and fooking floor moves and shit the shit being bomb diving bloody pidgeons sure these fookers take after an old japanese custom lol. Sorry for blur but give ya idea of it. Atleast the inside bell shot came out ok.

DSC06280.ARW_zps1fj0crwf.jpg

The tower stairs

DSC06282_zpsnt1zp0x0.jpg

Sorry for pic heavy just so much to shoot. Anways these last 2 are my faves so will say thanks for looking and have a good christmas all.

DSC06269_zps1u3isiuz.jpg

DSC06239.ARW_zps7x7fkvru.jpg

Merry christmas have a great time and thanks for looking at the stunning church.

Edited by Dubbed Navigator
Editing photo bucket links

Thx for nice replies. Yea lots of really nice pictures to be had here thx to the many items still left inside. It's got some great charm this one has. Your comments are apreciated so many thanks 

Thanks jones m8ty. Yea managed some good shots in here. Cant wait to go back for some more and see if out changed .. Know some more statues have turned up allready.

Thx all and lol love the comments. It's a really nice place to photograph. And so would love to see a priest people shot in that throne type chair epic lol 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The Urban Collective
      Hey, guys, this is a video from my recent exploration of Manchester's Victoria Arches.
      Unfortunately, we were caught entering and as I couldn't resist taking a peak I went it alone. However, we will be back to make a proper video report on the place.
      I was absolutely gutted to not get a proper vid but the footage I did get was half decent and worth it for the experience alone. This place holds so many memories and it is astonishing to wonder whats under our feet.

• By UrbanLurking
      Explored here a couple of weeks ago seems a bit destroyed now which is a shame bet it was a decent explore at one point. 
      A bit of history,
      Royal Army Ordnance Corp (RAOC) Marchington, was built around 1957 and dealt with the supply and maintenance of weaponry and munitions and various other military equipment until 1993 when the Corp amalgamated with the Royal Logistics Corp. The site is now an industrial estate. It was also a Central Vehicle Depot during this time until the barracks closed in 1970, and the Territorial Army took over. Until it finally closed the site in the early 1980s. Marchington also housed the Armys fleet of Green Goddesses which came under the jurisdiction of the Office Of The Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM).The site is now an industrial estate. The Barracks lie bare and derelict and the married quaters have are all now private housing.

• By AndyK!
      The Station Hotel is a grand Victorian building situated in the heart of Ayr town centre. The hotel consists of 71 bedrooms, complete with en-suite bathrooms, plus a host of suits for functions and a cocktail lounge.

The hotel, which is attached to Ayr railway station, was originally opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway in June 1866 and become part of the British Transport Hotels (BTH) at Nationalisation. It was sold by BTH in October 1951 and has changed ownership a number of times, having been owned by Stakis Hotels, Quality, and Swallow Hotels.

The Station Hotel is currently the oldest and most famous hotel in Ayr. The hotel has retained almost all of its original features inside and out. The hotel started to turn away customers in 2014 and closed around 2015. After suffering neglect for some time beforehand, the building is now deteriorating; the railway station have had to take action to safeguard their customers from falling debris.

Visited with
      @SpiderMonkey

The car park is fenced off due to parts of the exterior falling off

Entrance and staircase

Reception

Lift and staircase on the first floor

Into the cocktail lounge....

The corridor leading to the next parts was suffering decay due to leaks in the roof

The Arran Suite...

Restaurant...

The restaurant's kitchen

Other public spaces around the hotel...

The Kyle Suite bar area

The Carrick Room 

The Kintyre Suite

And finally, the hotel rooms...

View of the decaying rear facade overlooking the railway station
    • By little_boy_explores
      Dobroyd mill

The history

Dobroyd Mills was built in 1829. A fine cloth manufacturer Dobroyd Ltd was founded at the mill in 1919. The mill closed in 1974, but was re-opened in 1976 under John Woodhead Ltd spinners. It currently houses several businesses including a classic car restoration firm and tea rooms. The future of Dobroyd Mills became a subject of debate when the current owners Z Hinchliffe began reducing the height of the chimney last year (2011). Concerned neighbours referred Dobroyd Mill to the English Heritage when the works began. But an inspector from  English Heritage decided the Mill was not suitable for the list of buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.  Planning permission to knock down two sections on the northern end of the complex was granted by Kirklees Council last month (2012). The stone structures were deemed unsuitable for modern use.

The explore

The Mill resides in pleasant surroundings with parts rented to a few small businesses including a quaint tea room... doing some rather unorthodox rambling to the bemusement of nearby dog walkers we eventually arrived at the Mill.  The Mill sits on top of a stream and in it's surrounding offers some peace from modern living. The exterior is generally in good condition with little sign of vandalism... The Mill stretches over some 4.04 hectares and took just over an hour to explore. Theres a few original features scattered around including some pretty heavy duty scales ... eleswhere empty rooms which bizarrely looked like they had just received their annual spring clean. looks like 'Love 37' and 'CarrotBoy' have done a few jobs here too.  

The pics

• By UrbanLurking
      The care home 2018
      Not sure to much about this place, its been closed for around 4 years now and there is no damage on it whatsoever, ive been eyeing it up for around a year but never managed to gain access. But i struck a lucky one this week. Although what i did notice when i managed to gain entry was that none of the windows where smashed, but all the windows bar the upper level where boarded so no one could look in. So right were in, the first room was the kitchen, we noticed a infer red camera in the corner, then a slight beeping noise? We shit it and get out at this point we was taking no for an answer, we headed into a little forest nearby were we could see the front door and check if SECCA or police came we waited for about 35mins and nothing came then  we discussed the options over a ice cold pint. so we did some googling and heading back, we came to the kitchen again, dodged the sensors and got to the front door where the main alarm system was, nothing happened this time no sensors no nothing? odd? we carried on strolling round after about 4/5 rooms the slight beeping noise came back on, then off, 20mins later back on? Not a clue we ignored it. we strolled round, some rooms had things moved, thrown about etc, so people had defiantly been in without a doubt. This place was cool. Things remained in places, i like that. But some rooms had a really strange feeling about them. after around 40 minutes in there, we seen about 40% maybe abit more, We decided to head out something felt weird like we didn't belong there. We got out and went back to the forest to check if secca arrived, 15 minutes later a van pulled up, it was secca. He didn't see us, but we could see him. He sat there 5/6 minutes, but for some reason did not check the building? Strange.. ... Until next time peoples. I'm not finished with this place. I shall be heading back to finish what i started. Enjoy the pics!