Post a thread

Post a report or anything else to the forums

See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Great Britain A Hospital In The Woods, Sep 2019

KPUrban_

Twat With A Camera
Joined
May 21, 2019
Messages
256
Reaction score
309
Points
63
Location
Cambridgeshire
Website
www.flickr.com
The Building
Former specialist hospital in orthopedics, rheumatology, and respiration lays dormant in an English woodland. After closing in 2004 and remaining relatively forgotten the hospital fell into an unexpected level of decay.

1882 the wife of the former owner died and the remaining family left the manor house.
From 1884 the house was then leased to another occupier on a 21 year contract term.

from 1914 the hospital was unoccupied, was subsequently leased to the red cross hospital, and was refitted with electric lights, baths, and sanitary accommodation was updated. In 1915 the house opend as a hospital providing 100 beds employing 8 fully trained nurses and volunteer staff, with patients being the wounded soldiers. The hospital dealt with over 2000 patients in the First World War.

Followng the war conditions were so poor illnesses such as TB were common in the hospital. The local government had a duty to improved conditions and the proposal of the site being a tuberculosis sanatorium came into effect in 1922. Following the raising of funds the hospital now provided 140 beds split between children's, women's and men's accommodation.

The hospital expanded over the next 15 years with a new men's section opening in 1939. Even throughout the war expansions were seen with the opening of a new physiotherapy department and a 65 bed women's ward and the addition of 19 children's bed spaces.

In 1948, following the creation of the NHS, a new X-Ray department was opened. As the number of TB cases dropped the hospital started working on more illnesses and treatments subsequently specialising in orthopedics, rheumatology, and respiratory illnesses. in 1953 the hospital earned the status of a chest hospital and subsequently changed it's name.

Following a reorganization of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1974 a new theatre was opened and X-Ray was redeveloped.
Following more management changes in 1980 services were slowly transferred even though new facilities had recently been added. Eventually in 2003 a series of budget cuts lead to the hospitals' fate in December 2004.

The Explore
It had been a long day of exploring for the first time without public transport and following a series of fails and wrong turns we finally made it to our final stop. After sneaking past security we found a tight squeeze which would get us inside.
Due to our limited time we only did the main building which featured the best decay and operating theatres before embarking on our long journey home.


Corridor made of asbestos.
48820260043_aa4bd9e710_b.jpg


Curvy Decaying ward
48820256118_93026eb936_b.jpg


Not so curvy ward
48821253668_9f7d495d74_b.jpgFeeling Blue

Some medical bits
48821377998_1a4ee3f7ab_b.jpg


Slightly Disappointing Operating Theatre
48821260158_5c00492b44_b.jpg


The arms seemed to be for a par of old Hanaulux lights, which were common at the time of operation.
48816785138_51a82e2c4d_b.jpg


Physiotherapy Department
48821892017_7c50976b43_b.jpg


That'll be all.
KP
,
 
Top