free hit counter
Abandoned top secret atomic weapons research establishment in Suffolk | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Abandoned top secret atomic weapons research establishment in Suffolk

TonyFisher

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Orfordness is a long peninsula in Suffolk. Owned by the Ministry of Defence it was used for multiple military tests during both wars and later in the cold war. Full details can be found on various sites including Wikipedia. The most interesting tests in my opinion were those carried out on very large weapons such as Britain's first atomic bomb Blue Danube. Although there were no tests involving the nuclear material there were several on bomb casings and the large amount of explosives inside that would ultimately trigger the atomic explosion. The tests were typically for the things the bomb might have to endure during transportation like vibration, dropping, extreme temperatures, G-force etc.
My only visit to the site was in the early 90s with my first video camera. Nearly 30 years later the footage naturally appears pretty poor. I could go back now but the eco Nazi's have taken it over and I don't want to go to jail for standing on an ant. A friend was able to get a few seconds of modern footage from a boat as he sailed past but I have nothing else to show here since I never took a stills camera.

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Fantastic walkthough and description of the all the buildings, Nice to see some older footage of the place too.

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Very interesting. The red arrow on the thumbnail almost put me off but glad i watched :)

TonyFisher

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. The red arrow on the thumbnail almost put me off but glad i watched :)
I totally agree but since I was made redundant my hobbies and business has merged into one. So it's a balancing act between serious informative content which won't get many views and using clickbait type thumnails and titles that appeal to the Ally Law type follower.